Staging in the VAB has inconsistent behaviour

MechBFP

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s) | GPU: Geforce GTX 1070TI | RAM16GB

When building a vehicle in the VAB the staging behavior and interface is inconsistent.

1) When building a simple 3 stage, single stack rocket, from top down (command pod first and working down). The placement of items within the staging is sometimes illogical. For example the decoupler just below the command pod will  sometimes be grouped with another decoupler built for a stage much later. The first engine you place can be grouped with other engines or decouplers that have nothing to do with that stage.

2) Pressing the + key to add a new stage at the very top sometimes doesn't work. Instead when that happens you need to add stage in the middle, then move things around from the other stages to free up the top one.

3)  Disconnecting 1 section of the rocket and placing it back (such as removing the bottom half of a rocket to add another fuel part) can completely mess up the staging back to what happens in 1) when it was first built, requiring manual reorganizing of the staging again.

Edited by The Space Peacock

7 hours ago, MechBFP said:

3)  Disconnecting 1 section of the rocket and placing it back (such as removing the bottom half of a rocket to add another fuel part) can completely mess up the staging back to what happens in 1) when it was first built, requiring manual reorganizing of the staging again.

This drives me "Insane!!!"   Its as if the VAB staging panel should have a lock function.  So when you remove the first two stages to add something in and then put the lower stages back on we are not forced to recheck the entire staging stack to see if something got moved.  Also does the exact same thing when a two part craft undocks then redocks.  Staging gets completely messed up.      If docking with another craft... the stages should stay intact above or below the other, but not merged.  Have option in the right click menu which craft gets staged lower as part of docking process.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home 22621.2861 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz | GPU: RTX 3080 ti 24gb | RAM16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)

A standard engine will get moved from the 1st stage to the last stage between loading screens. It will also stay after going into or out of the VAB. It does not happen every time and only started after the For Science update.

Included Attachments:

Thought I found a new bug, review existing Bug Reports to find this. 

I'll add that #3 above happened to me and that the Trip Planner and Engineer's Report both didn't calculate and were showing 0 (Zero) Delta-V.  

This happened while add/removing a Stack Decoupler below my Command Pod and then reattaching the fuel tank and engine to the bottom of the decoupler.

This resulted in the decoupler and the fuel tank and engine being included in Stage 1, which would jettison the engine on launch and activation of Stage 1.

This may be related to the Part-Picker panel you are on at the time, while testing and retesting this, I clicked on the Command Pod part list and Staging "Auto staged" correct when individual picking the parts off the workspace, and not the Part-Picker itself, or a combined part assembly. 

"Auto staging" not so Auto

V0.2

------------------
System Information
------------------
      Time of this report: 2/25/2023, 14:04:46
         Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: Alienware
             System Model: Alienware x17 R1
                Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz (16 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
                   Memory: 32768MB RAM
                Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
                  DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
              Device Type: Full Device
      Device Problem Code: No Problem
             Display Memory: 32405 MB
          Dedicated Memory: 16191 MB
             Shared Memory: 16214 MB

Edited by ToriBee
Wording/Testing Part-Picker/Assembly

11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Not sure if this is related - or even a bug - but when you remove all components of a stage, the empty stage panel sticks around.  If there is nothing in a stage, shouldn't that go away?

would really call that a bug, but its a good UX suggestion. if players really need an empty staging node they can just hit the plus button to make one

I encounter another flavour of this bug while in game play after separation and landing of a lander I'd developed with the fuel tank above the lander can and the engines connected to the lander can directly.

I had a decoupler connected above the fuel tank and this failed to decouple and wouldn't eject from the craft. I reloaded a save and the stage showed the decouple now part of its current Stage 1 and it stopped calculating any remaining resources in the stage, and failed to allow me to create a Maneuver Plan as a result while leaving Mun's surface. 

Edited by ToriBee