Celestial Camera Behaves Like Horizon Camera In Flight

Vinhero100

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | GPU: RTX 3050 | RAM16GB

I've noticed this bug since ~.1.3. (either .1.2 or .1.3, I can't remember exactly) This always happens, so it should be easy to replicate(?). The horizon and celestial cameras show the same camera angle. The horizon camera shows the planet you are orbiting/on below you, as it should, but the celestial camera does NOT show the planet off to the side while you are in orbit. Instead, it shows the planet below you just like with the horizon camera. Prior to one of the earlier patches the celestial camera behaved like how the orbital camera behaves in ksp1, so it would be great to get that functionality back. Thanks!

-btw, great work with the For Science! update :)

Included Attachments:

KSP2CameraBugReportImage.jpg.47c7f4f53aa980df385878fb39b1544d.jpg

Edited by Spicat

13 answers to this question

Thank you for reporting this, it’s been driving me crazy. I’ve checked, it seems everyone is this issue but it wasn’t in earlier versions of the game. I believe when entering orbit it fails to change the camera over from the surface state to the orbital state. As it was there before all the code must be aswell. 

I know this isn't like, a game-breaking bug, but this is one of the most frustrating points of friction in KSP2 right now when it comes to just playing the game. You have to gimbal lock the camera downwards in order to see where you're going, where you've been, or anything else in the solar system.

3 hours ago, Quasar2007 said:

I also want to thank you I have been having this since the 4th patch. :) 

I've definitely had this since before patch 4, since it released after I left for college in August and I didn't play KSP2 for 4 months lol. I think it first appeared in patch 2 for me

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: UITK for KSP2, BepInEx, Micro Engineer, Manuever Node Controller, Lux's Flames and Ornaments, Noed Manager, Wayfarer's Wings, Community Fixes, Flight Plan | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 300X 12-Core processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM65536MB

Only "Horizon Mode" camera view appears to work correctly - Celestrial camera appears to functional in the exact same way as "Horizon" does currently (Severity: Low, Frequency: High, constant without exception).

No steps needed to replicate - simply begin a game, and place any vessel into orbit around any celestial body.

Expected behaviours

Horizon Camera view functions perfectly, placing the currently orbited celestial body "below" the active vessel. Works perfectly for launches and atmospheric flight, landings on celestial bodies, EVAs on celestial bodies, ect.

Celestrial Camera View: I'm still new to KSP2, so still learning my way around. This is how I expect Celestial camera to work: the same as Orbital camera view from KSP1? Or at least, exhibit different behaviours than Horizon camera view. The camera should be orientated so all of the Kerbol System's planets are viewed on a horizontal plane, matching the same camera orientation as in the Map View. In Celestial mode (I assume),  from the point of view of a vessel on a perfectly equatorial orbit, the orbited celestial body will appear to move around the vessel horizontally (as with Orbital view). However, from the point of view of a vessel on a polar orbit, the orbited celestial body will appear to move around the vessel vertically.  

Actual behaviours

Horizon camera view appears to work perfectly, however Orbital camera and celestrial camera currently behave in the exact same way as Horizon camera does.  This occures regardless of vessel orientation. This can be quite disorientating for players coming from KSP1 (such as myself) or players expecting to see the solar system orientated to match any given planet's orbits around the sun. 

In the attached video I demonstrate how Horizon and Celestial camera views appear to function in an identical way currently, and occasionally there are weird camera snaps when switching between camera modes - as though the camera almost behaves as expected, before reverting to copy the Horizon view. 

Unclear if related:

Automatic camera always seems to default to "Horizon" view.

Chase, Body and Capture cameras also all seem to function in the exact same way, and I haven't been able to tell them apart.

Included Attachments:

HorizonandCelestialCameraBug.mp4

On 2/6/2024 at 3:19 PM, Moosemint said:

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: UITK for KSP2, BepInEx, Micro Engineer, Manuever Node Controller, Lux's Flames and Ornaments, Noed Manager, Wayfarer's Wings, Community Fixes, Flight Plan | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 300X 12-Core processor | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | RAM65536MB

Only "Horizon Mode" camera view appears to work correctly - Celestrial camera appears to functional in the exact same way as "Horizon" does currently (Severity: Low, Frequency: High, constant without exception).

No steps needed to replicate - simply begin a game, and place any vessel into orbit around any celestial body.

Expected behaviours

Horizon Camera view functions perfectly, placing the currently orbited celestial body "below" the active vessel. Works perfectly for launches and atmospheric flight, landings on celestial bodies, EVAs on celestial bodies, ect.

Celestrial Camera View: I'm still new to KSP2, so still learning my way around. This is how I expect Celestial camera to work: the same as Orbital camera view from KSP1? Or at least, exhibit different behaviours than Horizon camera view. The camera should be orientated so all of the Kerbol System's planets are viewed on a horizontal plane, matching the same camera orientation as in the Map View. In Celestial mode (I assume),  from the point of view of a vessel on a perfectly equatorial orbit, the orbited celestial body will appear to move around the vessel horizontally (as with Orbital view). However, from the point of view of a vessel on a polar orbit, the orbited celestial body will appear to move around the vessel vertically.  

Actual behaviours

Horizon camera view appears to work perfectly, however Orbital camera and celestrial camera currently behave in the exact same way as Horizon camera does.  This occures regardless of vessel orientation. This can be quite disorientating for players coming from KSP1 (such as myself) or players expecting to see the solar system orientated to match any given planet's orbits around the sun. 

In the attached video I demonstrate how Horizon and Celestial camera views appear to function in an identical way currently, and occasionally there are weird camera snaps when switching between camera modes - as though the camera almost behaves as expected, before reverting to copy the Horizon view. 

Unclear if related:

Automatic camera always seems to default to "Horizon" view.

Chase, Body and Capture cameras also all seem to function in the exact same way, and I haven't been able to tell them apart.

Included Attachments:

HorizonandCelestialCameraBug.mp4

glad other people are finally reporting this, its been a pretty obvious bug since one of the earlier patches but its never gotten fixed for some reason, and its super annoying!

On 3/20/2024 at 11:45 PM, Why485 said:

I know this isn't like, a game-breaking bug, but this is one of the most frustrating points of friction in KSP2 right now when it comes to just playing the game. You have to gimbal lock the camera downwards in order to see where you're going, where you've been, or anything else in the solar system.

yea and it's a regression bug from one of the early patches (playtesting????). It's also easily noticeable since it just happens consistently, there's not even a case where the camera functions correctly. The devs have to (LITERALLY) be blind not to see this. Idk what they have been doing for the past year and I'm concerned bc they seem to be leaning more into content updates while this game still can be a buggy mess at times.

On 4/13/2024 at 4:46 AM, Vinhero100 said:

yea and it's a regression bug from one of the early patches (playtesting????). It's also easily noticeable since it just happens consistently, there's not even a case where the camera functions correctly. The devs have to (LITERALLY) be blind not to see this. Idk what they have been doing for the past year and I'm concerned bc they seem to be leaning more into content updates while this game still can be a buggy mess at times.

Yeah, I'm still having the same issue in 0.2.1.0.

The worst thing is that when I ask people on discord THEY DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM! 

I have no idea why! :( 

Edited by Quasar2007

On 4/16/2024 at 11:32 AM, Quasar2007 said:

Yeah, I'm still having the same issue in 0.2.1.0.

The worst thing is that when I ask people on discord THEY DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM! 

I have no idea why! :( 

I think people just don't notice it lol, if you look at the KSP 2 screenshots channel on the discord the camera is never in orbital mode