Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Can we transfer the kethane maps from one save game to another? I cant even finde the map files.

Can someone help me? I just don't want to do the scans again.

In case it's confusing, here's the above answers put a different way:

first, back up your persistent.sfs file;

now search it for the phrase "kethane";

copy the whole section (several pages) from

SCENARIO
{
name = KethaneData

to

}
}
}
}

Be careful to keep the correct number of brackets, because they are nested pairs. Also, delete any old kethane lines in your new save, because those would conflict with the new stuff.

In case you're interested:

the deposit locations and shapes are stored procedurally in the lines that look like Seed = 1588083663;

the maps are revealed by ScanMask = where A is unscanned, . is fully scanned, and values in between are partially scanned

(so you could copy map data from only the planets you want);

the deposit quantities are stored just after the seeds as Deposit = 55104.6105032343

(so you could cheatily "refill" the deposit at your favorite base).

I gotta ask. Is minable asteroids going to be a thing? :D

To quote Majiir on the subject:

There has been some talk along these lines. Stay tuned.

It'll be awesome if we could. considering that the asteroids will basically be crafts there shouldn't be too much trouble to fuel them up with Kethane as if they were one gigantic kethane tank - attach a converter to a claw and run a refueling station off of an asteroid - awesome!

considering that the asteroids will basically be crafts there shouldn't be too much trouble to fuel them up with Kethane as if they were one gigantic kethane tank - attach a converter to a claw and run a refueling station off of an asteroid - awesome!

If Kethane does support mining asteroids, it will require a drill. I can't talk about it in much detail at this time, but I can say I will not just turn asteroids into fuel tanks. How immediately the full plan can be realized remains to be seen. (Things are quite busy for me at the moment, but there are some great people helping out with the mods I manage.)

If Kethane does support mining asteroids, it will require a drill. I can't talk about it in much detail at this time, but I can say I will not just turn asteroids into fuel tanks. How immediately the full plan can be realized remains to be seen. (Things are quite busy for me at the moment, but there are some great people helping out with the mods I manage.)
I love hearing this! :)

This mod has opened up tons of doors for me, and I am in a mad quest to mine kethane on all celestial bodies. (Did you see my mining rig on Eve, yet? :P) I can't wait to explore asteroids and see if we can find fuel there. Imagine being able to refuel space stations by dragging asteroids nearby. Oh, how Kerbal! *maniacal laughter*

Or capturing an asteroid in 400 x 400 orbit and building a refining station on the asteroid itself ....

Or ....

You could still fill the asteroid with a resource with the nopump flag (so we cant just drain it and leave) and have an asteroid drill part that is just a standard kethane converter in functionality that converts the new resource into kethane or whatever. It would have the advantage of realisticly modifying the asteroids mass as you "Mine" out and remove the resorces it contains. I'm just not sure how well scaning for fields mechanic will work with an asteroid you cant orbit unless you treat the whole thing as a single field so it does not mater where we land.

You could still fill the asteroid with a resource with the nopump flag (so we cant just drain it and leave) and have an asteroid drill part that is just a standard kethane converter in functionality that converts the new resource into kethane or whatever. It would have the advantage of realisticly modifying the asteroids mass as you "Mine" out and remove the resorces it contains. I'm just not sure how well scaning for fields mechanic will work with an asteroid you cant orbit unless you treat the whole thing as a single field so it does not mater where we land.

Regardless on how it is implemented, being able to capture an asteroid, use some of it's kethane to refuel the braking ship and putting the asteroid in LKO will open a lot more possibilities for game play. It will make conversion of asteroids into space stations really really cool.

I'm assuming though that, since you can't _orbit_ an asteroid, the traditionnal kethane scanner will need to be modified and that total amount of kethane you can find on an asteroid is probably going to be fairly low. Ideally the kethane value should be based on the size class of the asteroid. Example:

Class A -> 10,000 kethane +/- random value

Class B -> 15,000 kethane +/- random value

Class C -> 20,000 kethane +/- random value

Class D ...

It's not that much an amount of fuel but enough to be useful.

Considering you have kethane patches on major cellestial objects anywhere from 100K to 400K pts of kethane, an asteroid shouldn't have _too_ much fuel. Just enough to be usefull.

It does give a good excuse to bring them into LKO. :)

-- Dingbat.

since you can't _orbit_ an asteroid, the traditionnal kethane scanner

... thats interesting. I hadn't thought about that problem. That does indeed shed light on why this isn't an easy implementation. Jebediah might get a new line item to add to his resumé: probe pusher .... manual orbiting of satellites around foreign objects.

... thats interesting. I hadn't thought about that problem. That does indeed shed light on why this isn't an easy implementation. Jebediah might get a new line item to add to his resumé: probe pusher .... manual orbiting of satellites around foreign objects.

Would be neat if MechJeb could do forced orbits, thrusting just the right amount in the right direction in order to orbit faster at a given altitude than happens naturally in free-fall.

Ok if that's too difficult, what is the width of individual hexagons, I'm trying to figure out optimal orbits and I'd like to know the "swath width" of the scanner.

There are the same number of hexes on every body, regardless of its radius. The hexes just change size depending on what body you're looking at.

As for how many there are, Majiir has definitely mentioned it a few times in the thread, but short of counting them manually, I couldn't tell you off-hand.

There's still at least one pentagon with the new map grid? AFAIK, it's impossible to cover a sphere with all hexagons, especially not regular hexagons. The old perfect sphere maps had a pentagon on the equator.

There's still at least one pentagon with the new map grid? AFAIK, it's impossible to cover a sphere with all hexagons, especially not regular hexagons. The old perfect sphere maps had a pentagon on the equator.

There have always been exactly 12 pentagons. There is one at each pole, but none of the remaining ten lie on the equator. (They're staggered above and below it.)

E class only, perhaps. Even then it probably depends on what asteroids are classified as. Can you make a vehicle act as a planet/moon sort of kethane source?

I hope so, that way I can make a pirate ship that goes around clawing other ships, drilling into them, and stealing all their fuel.

*evil laughter*

I hope so, that way I can make a pirate ship that goes around clawing other ships, drilling into them, and stealing all their fuel.

*evil laughter*

You don't need kethane to do that with 23.5. You don't need any mods to do that. I'm talking about something completely different.

*evil laughter*

Lemme guess. You like the anime series "Outlaw Star"? ;) It has spaceships with arms that grab other spaceships.

Hello fellow Kerbanauts,

I've run into an issue with Kethane 0.84, KSP 0.23. I've got a Kethane mining lander on the Mun. It is sitting in the middle of a Kethane hex:

screenshot27_zps7cea14d5.png

The problem is the Kethane stopped flowing after only a small amount was mined. I think I was in warp at the time. As you can see there is green dust, so the tanks should be filling. I have tried re-positioning the lander, saving and loading, and restarting KSP without success.

One thing to note - this lander wobbles slightly. I didn't think that made a difference though since the kethane mining was working initially. Does anyone know what the issue could be?

The drills look very close to the ground but if you're getting green vapour then thats not the issue - are the drills connected to a kethane tank (I cant really see in the screenshot) if so what happens when you manually move the kethane from that tank to one of the radials kethane tanks? I'm suspecting you have the yellow feed pipes on the wrong way around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.