Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Just wanted to chime in to say that whatever you did in order to increase performance in this pass, job done amazingly well. I went from 20 seconds extra loading time to open the map around a planet with the surface map open to no perceived extra loading time.

because it doesn't consume electricity. It also doesn't interpolate between time steps. To solve the first problem, I've started working on a cross-plugin resource architecture to allow for offline resource consumption and high-timewarp resource handling. I'm cautiously optimistic about the potential for such a system. In any case, Kethane scanning will see some changes, but it probably won't have offline scanning until I can draw power or someone finally models that self-powered concept I wrote about a while ago.

SCANsat (of course, not MAPscan ...) actually does use power - granted, not if the vessel is not the active one.

But as I wrote in the other thread, this does not seem really important (to me, yes :) ). Players who would not want to deal with the power usage will most likely edit it out of the part file - and those who want to build realistically would put enough energy on their satellites anyway.

So, with no intention to dissuade you from your set goal, I think offline scanning now would be preferable to realism in energy management later. :wink:

Just wanted to chime in to say that whatever you did in order to increase performance in this pass, job done amazingly well. I went from 20 seconds extra loading time to open the map around a planet with the surface map open to no perceived extra loading time.

Glad to hear it! From what I hear, low-end machines are benefiting more from this patch than high-end ones. I develop on a powerful machine, so it's hard to gauge the impact something will have on slower computers. (I'm guessing you have a low- or mid-range computer based on the 20 seconds figure, but if not, I have no idea what's happening there; I know some others reported similar times but the highest I measured was 4 seconds for planet transitions.)

SCANsat (of course, not MAPscan ...) actually does use power - granted, not if the vessel is not the active one.

But as I wrote in the other thread, this does not seem really important (to me, yes :) ). Players who would not want to deal with the power usage will most likely edit it out of the part file - and those who want to build realistically would put enough energy on their satellites anyway.

So, with no intention to dissuade you from your set goal, I think offline scanning now would be preferable to realism in energy management later. :wink:

Offline (and thus multiple-satellite) scanning will require a lot of other gameplay and mechanics changes, so I'd like to be able to make those changes concurrently to avoid testing and balancing one revision only to throw that away after the next.

Hi, sorry to be a bother but the mirror doesn't seem to be working for me. Could you double check that it's live. I'm trying to access it from Belgium.

Seems to work on a Belgacom line

And hello from Gent

Edited by Resender

Glad to hear it! From what I hear, low-end machines are benefiting more from this patch than high-end ones. I develop on a powerful machine, so it's hard to gauge the impact something will have on slower computers. (I'm guessing you have a low- or mid-range computer based on the 20 seconds figure, but if not, I have no idea what's happening there; I know some others reported similar times but the highest I measured was 4 seconds for planet transitions.)

My machine is several years old and I get an ingame time to out of game time ratio of 4 to 1 around 400 parts, just to get you an idea. (Meaning that I spend 4 seconds RL before one second on the in game clock has passed, at no acceleration, viewing a ~400 part craft in stable orbit)

I installed the mod but I can't use it in Career because I've been using that save file and I need to do an 'Entry Purchase in R&D'. Am I doing something wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong, there's just one thing you haven't done yet. You have to go to the node that the parts are unlocked in, and on the right side click on them, maybe doubleclick; to unlock them.

If parts are added in after a node is unlocked, they don't get unlocked automatically, but you still get them for free. Any node with locked parts in it will have a circle with a number in the corner of the icon on the node map.

I just finished a can of Nicaraguan Maragogype. I cold brew my coffee, and I've found darker roasts come out well. With so much less acidity, they sometimes come out more like chocolate than coffee. I've only been paying attention to the coffee I buy for about a year, so I'm open to suggestions. Some have generously donated this last week, so I'll be sure to share what I'm drinking!

Hmm, Nicaraguan? I don't know that I've had any coffee from them. Recently had Guatemalan which was decent. Also had a Mexican blend that I didn't care for. My current favorites are some blends from this local coffee shop Anodyne. They have a Peruvian mix and Papa New Guinea mix that I love and I just picked up a Ethiopian heirloom variety I'm eager to try (Ethiopia is where coffee started in case you are wondering).

If you are out on the west coast Blue Bottle makes excellent coffee; some of the best I've had, though more pricey than most.

I've never tried cold brewed before. It sounds very interesting so I will have to try that. I would love to try the Chemex style. Mostly I just French Press it which works pretty well for me.

And in case you are wondering, my wife calls me a coffee snob... :)

why is there no sub folders inside the zip folder?

The Kethane-0.8.1.zip that I downloaded on November 19th has a GameData folder, and within that a Kethane folder, and within that other folders.

How are you viewing the file? Some unzip programs need to be explicitly told to unzip directory structures.

Just playing around with Kethane for the first time! Love it, and put down my first miner, however I assume I need fuel lines from the converter to the fuel tanks for it to work?

You actually need fuel lines from the fuel tanks to the converter. Because it's a creation of fuel rather than a use of fuel, as the engines are, the flow direction works in the opposite direction to what you would expect.

Just playing around with Kethane for the first time! Love it, and put down my first miner, however I assume I need fuel lines from the converter to the fuel tanks for it to work?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/35664-Kethane-Usage-and-Proper-Fuel-Routing

That in OP of this thread if ya need it again.

You actually need fuel lines from the fuel tanks to the converter. Because it's a creation of fuel rather than a use of fuel, as the engines are, the flow direction works in the opposite direction to what you would expect.

Thanks! I was a bit of an idiot and assumed I was right, so I launched another, different rig to see if that worked, and it didn't.. should've listened to you!

Erm, no, you won't. Kethane stores data in the persistence file now.

Just use the debugger. (Add "Debug = True" to GameData/Kethane/settings.cfg.)

Is there a way to keep the same seed number every time Kethane runs? The Kerbal Multiplayer (KMP) plugin overwrites the persistence file on startup and clears out any Kethane data. I'd be ok with not saving my scans as long as the deposit locations remained constant.

Edit:

Just browsed through LegacyResourceGenerator.cs and it doesn't seem like there is. Any chance of adding a line to parse seed data if it's present in Resources\Kethane.cfg?

Edited by AlchemicalAgent

Is there a way to keep the same seed number every time Kethane runs? The Kerbal Multiplayer (KMP) plugin overwrites the persistence file on startup and clears out any Kethane data. I'd be ok with not saving my scans as long as the deposit locations remained constant.

Any chance of adding a line to parse seed data if it's present in Resources\Kethane.cfg?

I have stated I'll be happy to support KMP as soon as it has a proper API for mods. Simple seed synchronization should be doable entirely from KMP's side by keeping the KethaneData ScenarioModule intact.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.