Kethane Pack 0.9.2 - New cinematic trailer! - 1.0 compatibility update

Majiir

Hi, I play with the Real Solar System mod and I was just wondering if there's something that can be edited to prevent this from happening...

8aVsDWA.jpg

As you can see with the increase in scale of celestial bodies the grid sits below the bodies surface on higher altitude areas. I can move my camera inside the planet and see the grid in those covered area's but I was just wondering if there was something that can be edited to bump up the grid mesh or w/e, cheers.

Hi, I play with the Real Solar System mod and I was just wondering if there's something that can be edited to prevent this from happening...

As you can see with the increase in scale of celestial bodies the grid sits below the bodies surface on higher altitude areas. I can move my camera inside the planet and see the grid in those covered area's but I was just wondering if there was something that can be edited to bump up the grid mesh or w/e, cheers.

You can edit the GameData/Kethane/Grid.cfg file. The values are radius multipliers. You can reload the file by switching to the space center and then back to the tracking station (or flight) view.

Do drills and converters have to be on the active vessel or is physics range sufficient?

They just have to be loaded. I leave the drills and converters running that way they chug away as I'm coming in for a landing.

Technically the same thing is true of the scanners though it's hard to keep an orbiting ship within 2.5km...

Hey I just noticed that Kethane supports multiple resource maps, and I'd like to add my own! I would like to add Hydrogen as a resource. Hydrogen can be mined and converted into deuterium or tritium, both forms of fuel in my mod, Impossible Innovations. If I'm allowed to do this, will I need to make my own drills, converters, scanners, etc. or can I just re-texture the existing parts? Also how do I make a resource map?

I've found a bug (I think), but I don't have an account on Github, so I will post this here.

I have a few "realism" mods installed, including RemoteTech 2, Mission Controller extended, FAR, and a few others (ioncross life support, deadly re-entry, some parts). I installed Kethane .8.1 a few days ago when it was released. I opened up my career mode save, which already contains the beginnings of my remotetech comm network. When I go to the tracking station, all the kethane grids work fine. however, the stock UI buttons become unclickable. I can't switch ships, delete them, or even exit to space center, and have to alt-f4 to quit. I removed kethane, and the issue disappeared.

It's an odd issue, but it has stopped me from using the mod. I have a feeling it is a conflict with remotetech 2, because both mods have visuals in the tracking center. MCE also has a window that opens here, but it is present in the VAB/SPH as well and the button issue did not occur there with kethane installed. I'd love some insight into what is causing this, I used to use this mod quite a bit and would love to add it back to the game.

Hey I just noticed that Kethane supports multiple resource maps, and I'd like to add my own! I would like to add Hydrogen as a resource. Hydrogen can be mined and converted into deuterium or tritium, both forms of fuel in my mod, Impossible Innovations. If I'm allowed to do this, will I need to make my own drills, converters, scanners, etc. or can I just re-texture the existing parts? Also how do I make a resource map?

The Kethane Wiki has all your answers =)

As per the Kethane license you will need to make your own parts, as you cannot redistribute derivs of kethane parts. The API info on the wiki details how to generate the resource map, its not hard at all.

I am in the US. It worked fine for me earlier today to at my office but now at home doesn't I will try it again tomorrow.

It seems quite a few of us (myself included) are having issues accessing the only download link available.

Can we please get a mirror somewhere? I even tried building it from the github source, but it's missing the .mbm .mu and .wav files, so there's no way for me to use this mod currently.

And don't say "use a proxy" please, some of us don't have that option.

I have an issue that I thought someone might be able to help me fix. I have a problem seeing the grid indicating where my resources are. There is a conflict, no that's too harsh a word, problem between a couple of my mods. Specifically the excellent City lights and Clouds, Real Solar System and Kethane. A picture paints a thousand words so behold :)

MO092cN.png

I have manually raised the height of the grid in the .cfg file (to 1.042 iirc) but I still cannot see anything due to the conflict between the different colours. If you look at the line indicating my orbit just as it is about to be occluded by the planet on the far left, you can actually see some of those hexagons that have turned green so I know that not only is Kethane working as intended, but that I've struck green gold.

Anyone got any ideas on how to change the colours of things or to reduce the transparency of stuff so that I can see the grid as intended.

**On a side note, awesome patch Majiir. I have literally gone from a 5 or 6 second delay from opening the map with the grid displayed or toggling on the grid to effectively no lag whatsoever. :cool:

Thanks for being an awesome community guys and gals :):)

Edit: I can't spell

Does the grid appear correctly if you make the radius something ridiculously large, like 1.5? It looks like the grid and cloud shaders could be interfering, but the grid shader should work fine if it's "outside" the cloud layer.

I know for sure this has been asked before, but I found nothing on the wiki and on google.

The scanner, does it search only below the ship, or does eventually start venturing to different areas? Or do I need to change my orbit inclination?

Does distance make a factor, common sense dictates higher would be better.

Thanks in advanced guys!

I know for sure this has been asked before, but I found nothing on the wiki and on google.

The scanner, does it search only below the ship, or does eventually start venturing to different areas? Or do I need to change my orbit inclination?

Does distance make a factor, common sense dictates higher would be better.

Thanks in advanced guys!

Scans directly below the ship, one cell at a time. Only the active ship with a scanner can scan. Having more than one scanner on the ship is only good for not missing cells at high time warp. The large scanner can do very high warp without missing cells. The small one will start missing at 50x warp so stick on two and it won't.

Put up a satellite with one large scanner and a bunch of fuel for orbit changes, at a high enough altitude so you can do 50x or faster warp. There's specific orbital heights for polar orbits to scan each planet and moon in the fewest number of orbits, but IIRC the list I found somewhere is obsolete due to changes made in the game. I do one swing around the equator first to find easy spots to land and launch from, then shift to a more inclined orbit to scan a wider stripe. A perfectly polar orbit, even at the "ideal" altitude, will still miss some cells, so you'll need to shift inclination a time or two. There will still be a few cells that will take some time to get the satellite over, but there's no need to get a 100% coverage scan. You just need to find the big deposits and their overall size.

I'd like to see someone with KAS installed make a nearly 2.5 KM long cable, stick a scanner on the end of it and one on the ship, then extend the cable out and see what happens. Should try it around a small moon where the cells are smaller*, at low altitude, to have the best chance of having two active scanners over different cells at the same time.

*Is there a list of cell size on each body? Any have cells smaller than 2.5 KM? How about one of the "ideal" scanning orbit altitudes to achieve the most complete coverage in the least number of orbits?

I'd like to see someone with KAS installed make a nearly 2.5 KM long cable, stick a scanner on the end of it and one on the ship, then extend the cable out and see what happens. Should try it around a small moon where the cells are smaller*, at low altitude, to have the best chance of having two active scanners over different cells at the same time.

The scan comes from the vessel origin, so spreading the scanners out would do you no good...not to mention having a single craft that breaks load limit is like filling your ship with Kraken snacks.

I believe any loaded and activated scanner will operate, so if you have few satelites they should all operate; but they have to be within the physics range which nerfs the usefulness of this attribute. A stable constellation of scanning satellites that have a max spread of about 5Km is not likely to garner many additional cells in the long run.

Okay, fixed the Clouds/Kethane conflict on my end. It'll be in the next patch.

i7Or7cgzGgIKl.png

Is it me or is the purple and green beautiful :) I'd even go so far as to say that looks badass.

Seriously dude, awesomely quick work.

Purple and green??? OMG, it's the home planet of the Psychlos! Or possibly Invader ZIM.

While we're on the subject of visual attributes, the resource into box that appears at the pointer when the Kethane grid is turned on is displayed over the latitude and longitude information from MechJeb's Landing Guidance target picker. Makes it a bit difficult to mark a spot just where you want when dropping down to drill for Kethane.

Might be a good thing to discuss with Sarbian how to move the two out of each other's way. :)

Purple and green??? OMG, it's the home planet of the Psychlos! Or possibly Invader ZIM.

While we're on the subject of visual attributes, the resource into box that appears at the pointer when the Kethane grid is turned on is displayed over the latitude and longitude information from MechJeb's Landing Guidance target picker. Makes it a bit difficult to mark a spot just where you want when dropping down to drill for Kethane.

Might be a good thing to discuss with Sarbian how to move the two out of each other's way. :)

Pick your LZ, turn the grid off, select target with MJ...not that hard to manage.

scans directly below the ship, one cell at a time. Only the active ship with a scanner can scan. Having more than one scanner on the ship is only good for not missing cells at high time warp. The large scanner can do very high warp without missing cells. The small one will start missing at 50x warp so stick on two and it won't.

Put up a satellite with one large scanner and a bunch of fuel for orbit changes, at a high enough altitude so you can do 50x or faster warp. There's specific orbital heights for polar orbits to scan each planet and moon in the fewest number of orbits, but iirc the list i found somewhere is obsolete due to changes made in the game. I do one swing around the equator first to find easy spots to land and launch from, then shift to a more inclined orbit to scan a wider stripe. A perfectly polar orbit, even at the "ideal" altitude, will still miss some cells, so you'll need to shift inclination a time or two. There will still be a few cells that will take some time to get the satellite over, but there's no need to get a 100% coverage scan. You just need to find the big deposits and their overall size.

I'd like to see someone with kas installed make a nearly 2.5 km long cable, stick a scanner on the end of it and one on the ship, then extend the cable out and see what happens. Should try it around a small moon where the cells are smaller*, at low altitude, to have the best chance of having two active scanners over different cells at the same time.

*is there a list of cell size on each body? Any have cells smaller than 2.5 km? How about one of the "ideal" scanning orbit altitudes to achieve the most complete coverage in the least number of orbits?

thank you!

I've come across some unusual behaviour in this mod. I have a kethane miner ship, half full of kethane, with a converter attached. There are 7 engines - 6 radially mounted and the 7th in the centre. If I set the ship off on an extended manouver, and have the kethane converter running to replenish the fuel on the go, then at about 1-2 minutes into the burn one of the radial engines will throttle right down to almost zero, obviously causing the ship to veer off course.

It's definitely related to having the converter running because if I use exactly the same ship and perform the burn without the converter running then the ship behaves as expected.

The ship does have MechJeb on board, and I thought perhaps the 'prevent overheat' function was causing this, possibly, but tests confirm it's not!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.