Maneuver Nodes for interplanetary burns

Rylant

How is everyone using maneuver nodes for interplanetary burns, to say Jool.  I find that they are almost impossible to work with as is.  I find that I need to have Jool as the focus in order to tweak the node, but then I have no window to see the maneuver node to adjust it.  Also, is there no good way to to move the maneuver node forward or back a bit, or even to the next rotation?  I have been clicking and dragging the node in order to move it forward or back, which is very clunky and difficult to get a more precise node.  To me, the way it is in game, is virtually unusable to to distant planets.  Within the Kerbin system, it's fine because you are close enough to your destination in order to have Minmus or the Mun as your focus, and still be able to interact with your maneuver node.  Plus the node is more forgiving to be off a bit for a target so close.  Am I missing something here?

You're not missing anything, it's currently extremely badly designed for interplanetary transfers. Nate said on the recent stream they're planning to resign it.

EDIT: Redesign it, I meant.

Edited by Mutex

It's pretty close to how the original maneuver nodes worked in KSP1 with some of the newer QOL features already added. Basically you lay down the node and add enough delta-V to get into the ballpark, then drag the node around until the ejection angle looks good, then open the node editor and focus on the target planet. This lets you adjust the node while watching the result. It's definitely a pain in the rear compared to, say. just typing in some values or adjusting things using a separate window. If you're an old hand at KSP1 it's nothing new, if you're not, well, welcome to KSP2 early access.

Edited by regex

7 hours ago, regex said:

It's pretty close to how the original maneuver nodes worked in KSP1 with some of the newer QOL features already added. Basically you lay down the node and add enough delta-V to get into the ballpark, then drag the node around until the ejection angle looks good, then open the node editor and focus on the target planet. This lets you adjust the node while watching the result. It's definitely a pain in the rear compared to, say. just typing in some values or adjusting things using a separate window. If you're an old hand at KSP1 it's nothing new, if you're not, well, welcome to KSP2 early access.

I've had more issues with the KSP 2 nodes than KSP 1 stock. It seems tougher to grab individual arrows when focusing on the target planet and the lack of "next orbit" buttons is an issue (I'm fairly certain that's stock KSP 1 now)

1 hour ago, hatterson said:

I've had more issues with the KSP 2 nodes than KSP 1 stock. It seems tougher to grab individual arrows when focusing on the target planet and the lack of "next orbit" buttons is an issue (I'm fairly certain that's stock KSP 1 now)

The KSP1 nodes went through some big improvements. KSP2 feels a lot like how KSP1 was early on.

It's not currently easy to use, that's for sure. I keep wanting to use the SAS vector ball to adjust nodes, which IMO would be a slick way to integrate a separate node editor. I am surprised they didn't try to port/imitate over the KSP1 stock editor in the first place, but I suppose it was a lower priority than other game systems so they used a quick placeholder.

12 minutes ago, regex said:

The KSP1 nodes went through some big improvements. KSP2 feels a lot like how KSP1 was early on.

Oh for sure. I meant comparing KSP 2 right now to KSP 1 right now both without mods.

KSP 2 right now is better than KSP 1 was in early versions. Nostalgia covers over a lot, but in reality the early versions of KSP1 were *painful*

Edited by hatterson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.