Workspaces and Ships - What am I missing?

What I'd like to do:

• build a 'GenericLanderCan' optimized for Mun/Minmus and have a saved ship of that name
  • build an 'Orbital Truck' stage that can get the lander from Kerbin orbit to its destination - and save that
  • build a 'Mun Booster' craft consisting of rocket stages that can lift the payload off Kerbin and get it to orbit - and have a saved ship
  • Be able to select a previously built booster and marry it up with a previously built lander and the inter-orbit stage then call it a different name and save that as a unique ship after building the appropriate farings

Why can't I?

...so confused.

So clearly, they had a different idea in mind: how are we supposed to use workspaces and saves?

Spoiler

Would be so much easier if I could have classes of crafts and then mix and match them: 

• Boosters
  • Landers
  • Satellites
  • Vacuum stages (or whatever they're called- I call them 'trucks')
  • Probes
  • Rovers
  •  

Good question - why can't you? What's exactly stopping you from doing what you want? Aside from one thing that doesn't let you have multiple names of ships in a workspace, everything works.

You can build 'GenericLanderCan' next to 'Orbital Truck' next to 'Mun Booster' in one workspace, only without names - currently not much of a problem because you can just name the final vehicle right before launch.

50 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Would be so much easier if I could have classes of crafts and then mix and match them: 

• Boosters
  • Landers
  • Satellites
  • Vacuum stages (or whatever they're called- I call them 'trucks')
  • Probes
  • Rovers

You can also have those. As separate workspaces, I assume? Then just literally copypaste what you desire to other workspaces as needed.

More on workspaces and saving recently discussed here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/topic/222014-thoughts-on-workspace-vehicle-saving/page/2/

Edited by The Aziz

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

You can build 'GenericLanderCan' next to 'Orbital Truck' next to 'Mun Booster' in one workspace, only without names - currently not much of a problem because you can just name the final vehicle right before launch.

How does TWR and delta V planning factor in to such usage? Does the workspace system provide a way to know whether your three separate craft will be able to lift off the pad once you marry them up, other than doing the math in your head or on paper?

2 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

How does TWR and delta V planning factor in to such usage? Does the workspace system provide a way to know whether your three separate craft will be able to lift off the pad once you marry them up, other than doing the math in your head or on paper?

Honestly, don't know.

I typically overbuild everything - and rely upon the completed craft's Engineer Report to tell me whether I've at least got a positive TWR with the full ship.

Probably not a skill move - but definitely Neanderthal

4 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Aside from a known bug that shows 0 dv on subsequent assemblies, yes it does. Since 0.2 you can extend the staging UI and see the values for each stage - and even configure each one seaparely for conditions (altitude, atmosphere, current celestial body). So, bug aside, you should be able to check it separately (but, obviously, it won't tell you the precalculated values when it doesn't know what's coming on top of chosen stage) or when joined together.

So, build the lander, check the values, if it flies on the Mun  leave it aside. Build transfer stage, put the lander on top, check the values, if it does the job, unattach the lander, leave it aside and so on.

We need lockable assemblies and multiple named vehicles in workspaces.

Construction is really a torture when craft complexity increases and you have to start moving assemblies around. The stages get messed up every time.

Edited by Vl3d

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.