What if KSP2 had specific weather for each planet.  For example, Duna's IRL counterpart is known to experience planet-wide dust storms, so what if there was something like that in KSP2.  Then the other atmospheric planets such as Laythe and Eve could have massive thunderstorms.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how to feel about this, on one hand it'd be a cool addition, but on the other hand it'd make missions more difficult and would require some sort of weather forecast system (more probe centric parts?) to not just annoy you to death. The game already lacks tools to precisely land (no waypoints :() and so an MVP of this feature would probably be really annoying to deal with.

TLDR: I don't think it should be added right now.

18 hours ago, cinnamondamoth said:

I don't know how to feel about this, on one hand it'd be a cool addition, but on the other hand it'd make missions more difficult and would require some sort of weather forecast system (more probe centric parts?) to not just annoy you to death.

I agree it would  not be good for base gameplay (especially for new players) but it could be cool if it was just for looks and then if you selected "Hard" mode then it could actually effect flight. Or if it was a toggle setting in the menus. 

I also think that the devs have a lot more important things to prioritize so I don't think this should be implemented now either

1 hour ago, Presto200 said:

I agree it would  not be good for base gameplay (especially for new players) but it could be cool if it was just for looks and then if you selected "Hard" mode then it could actually effect flight. Or if it was a toggle setting in the menus. 

I also think that the devs have a lot more important things to prioritize so I don't think this should be implemented now either

Yes but it'd require a way to predict the weather, something akin to a weather satellite maybe? Since it'd suck to land in awful weather due to random chance and not have any way to predict it

I think Weather would work well if it was used only in science; players could travel around and collect science using some sort of weather analyzer part, and instead of going to different biomes you would go to different areas with different weather at that time; Sunny, cloudy, rainy, storms, northern lights etc.

I also think places like Joel should get some lighting effects so it is much more dramatic decending into it's lower atmosphere (This would of course require a new soundtrack for storms :cool:)

Edited by CoolSpace

I like the idea but it would have to interfere with communication between vessels and probes to make it realistic and it would also have solar panels being unusable for a certain amount of time. Same thing with launching rockets where it would add more challenge to it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jaypeg said:

Its something that is considered for near 1.0, sadly, but its being thought about

And how do you know this? Was weather in a Dev Diary / Interview somewhere?

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Of course it was.

the discord just has a channel that is a compilation of all dev comments/leeks. They said they are planning some atmospheric changes (because they have blackrack now) and auroras for poles is planned.
Lots of cool stuff can be done with weather, lets compile some ideas!
My ideas: a planet with superstorms that destroy crafts. To go to it you have to land, get sceince then leave before one of the massive storms on the horizon gets to you. That would be sick.
Also steam venting on eve, that lift up crafts when they fly into them
And dust storms on Duna
Rain on kerbin
Large storms on laythe (rainy)

Lightning, in general, would be sick

And ofc weather-based science. And turbulence

14 minutes ago, Jaypeg said:

the discord just has a channel that is a compilation of all dev comments/leeks

Yes… “Dev tracker”

JLesM18.jpeg

I don’t see atmospheric anything