How do I complete "Crater Conundrum" mission?

Hello folks,

Three times I have tried to complete "The Crater Conundrum" and the game fails to recognise the experiment completed. Very frustrating. Is there a way to get around this bug? Sure could use the 3000 Science points.

Thanks,

Jantee

Edited by Jantee

I think I just found my error. I did not take a "Science Jr." package with me. I thought the Kerbal on the ground was enough. This changes everything as I was getting good at EVA-ing from the ship to Gilly and back. Now I need to design a light lander for the job.

Thanks for the advice, though. I will likely need to save and restart anyways.

Jantee

3 hours ago, Jantee said:

I think I just found my error. I did not take a "Science Jr." package with me. I thought the Kerbal on the ground was enough. This changes everything as I was getting good at EVA-ing from the ship to Gilly and back. Now I need to design a light lander for the job.

Thanks for the advice, though. I will likely need to save and restart anyways.

Jantee

I’ve made it a habit to always take all science with me. Covers all the bases.

On 2/12/2024 at 2:05 AM, Biggen said:

I’ve made it a habit to always take all science with me. Covers all the bases.

Yes, they are lightweight outside the radiation detector. I had done that experiment with an probe before I landed on Duna. 

Its an Eve window who is closing at the start of the game, so launch toward Eve as soon as you get the atmospheric detector or not long after it. Sending an rocket there is an good idea, for me it was the first mission using the nuclear engine but you could go on chemical engines. On an re-play I would probably go manned. 
Each atmospheric sample on Eve give 600 science transmitted and you can skim the upper atmosphere, an heatshield is strongly recommended here. This has the benefit that you can have the front part have its own probe core, power and an science jr jr you get 1000 extra science if you land on land. Have an docking port on the part left in orbit so you can collect the science, an rover seat also work. 
Note window is sub optimal as in 3-4 km/s but very profitable. 

Edited by magnemoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.