Ladders / autoclimbing

I see a design decision has been made to handle ladders differently, essentially you need to grab each section of ladder to continue climbing.  I'm not against this, and I see in the UI the Grab (F) UI action pops up when reaching a new ladder piece.  But my honest feedback was that this was not attention grabbing (no pun intended) at all, and I had zero idea this was how it was now functioning.

I would have loved the Grab button to start flashing at me or... something.  Anything.  Understandably I missed the F button showing up on the UI, and taking a step back from what I was doing, I can see it popuping up, I get that, but in the end as someone who has played a fair bit of KSP I flet stumped, I resulted in google, and found a reddit thread which instantly had the answer for me.  But still, was a frustration for a while as to why I couldn't get it to work.   The camera shake in the reddit vid is perfect to show the frustration you feel when something seemingly 'should' work, but doesn't.

Why is it that a series of ladders in a 'row' as in the vid, should stop you continuing down the ladder?  

Edited by Navoan
Added question

I say its more an bad design than an real bug, Yes it would be nice if you just moved on to next ladder if they are placed after each other, perhaps having press F to switch ladder if another ladder is in range, could see cases this is useful.
Like an branching of ladder to another part of ship or one lander is to long and you need to switch ladders halfway. 

It’s more a missing feature than a bug, but I could see be considered this as a bug by players so it has its place. I moved the bug report out of the archive if you want to upvote it:

On 3/4/2024 at 4:40 PM, Spicat said:

It’s more a missing feature than a bug, but I could see be considered this as a bug by players so it has its place. I moved the bug report out of the archive if you want to upvote it:

Appreciate that, judging by the comments this really is an 'issue', either to be changed to continuous traveral by default, and/or add a settings toggle to enable this, or make a UI change to help the player intuitively understand that each ladder needs needs to be grabbed.  Because as it is now, it just isn't intuitive.

On 3/4/2024 at 4:40 PM, Spicat said:

I ran into this then I unlocked the small ladder segment. Might be my first KSP 2 posing after getting the game :) 

On 3/4/2024 at 9:14 AM, magnemoe said:

I say its more an bad design than an real bug, Yes it would be nice if you just moved on to next ladder if they are placed after each other, perhaps having press F to switch ladder if another ladder is in range, could see cases this is useful.
Like an branching of ladder to another part of ship or one lander is to long and you need to switch ladders halfway. 

You have to press F for each segment. On the other hand, I haven't encountered a situation yet where you can't make it all the way into a capsule doing that. In that sense it's a step forward from KSP1 where, if the game decided the ladders were not aligned under specific gravity (testing at the launchpad wouldn't always reveal the issue) you weren't able to make it back in. Even I prefer it over KSP1.

31 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

You have to press F for each segment. On the other hand, I haven't encountered a situation yet where you can't make it all the way into a capsule doing that. In that sense it's a step forward from KSP1 where, if the game decided the ladders were not aligned under specific gravity (testing at the launchpad wouldn't always reveal the issue) you weren't able to make it back in. Even I prefer it over KSP1.

Question… does the ‘Press F’ work climbing up and down the ladders at ‘intersections’ or only when climbing up?

2 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

Question… does the ‘Press F’ work climbing up and down the ladders at ‘intersections’ or only when climbing up?

Should work in both directions, not tested but if not it would be very weird. 

11 hours ago, Flush Foot said:

9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Should work in both directions, not tested but if not it would be very weird. 

Only going up, weirdly enough. Not that big of a deal though, going down is never an issue.

On 3/7/2024 at 4:51 PM, Kalessin1 said:

By the way devs should add more ladders to the game, longer version (non mechanical) to reduce part count and maybe snapping each other so climbing could be continued.

Proceedural ladder lengths?  Well well...
Would be too OP if it extended beyond the ship, need a reason to have extendable ladders, but not the worst idea imo!

10 hours ago, Navoan said:

Proceedural ladder lengths?  Well well...
Would be too OP if it extended beyond the ship, need a reason to have extendable ladders, but not the worst idea imo!

Not needed to be procedural but for example instead of single short ladder to be S ladder (normal one), M (of a length of 3 normal ladder), L (of a length of 5). This way instead of using many parts you have 1 (boost of performance), and if they can snap each other would be great for all those who has OCD or love perfection;)