Nearing 3 Months since For Science!, Are we gonna get any more Colonies updates soon?

32 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

You may have missed this post, which is understandable as it wasn't an official one.

I've not watched the video yet but the bullet-point recap later in the thread intrigues me somewhat.

The "Multiple updates before Colonies" bit from the bullet point summary is mildly concerning - Obviously its not inherently a bad thing to fix stuff before the next release, but with the Historical update Cadence, that feels to me like its placing Colonies out in... well, December again. Even if multiple means "Two", we've seen a trend of months between material updates, which could still put that release out way late into the year. Teams still struggling to keep things like KERB at the promised cadence after all, much less substantial updates, much less milestone updates.

I do hope that's not the case. The Science update only brought KSP2 to 'significant' gameplay parity with KSP1, and colonies will be the update that objectively makes it mechanically superior. Technically or gameplay wise is still debatable, but KSP1 even with mods didn't handle colonies well - Closest we got was WOLF that just pushed everything offscreen. However, if that milestone is only reached when we're closer to two years of early access than not, I'm going to be very disappointed. We were told that content updates should speed up after For Science, as all the parallel work the teams put together starts paying off, but setting a precedent of a yearly major milestone update would break that expectation, and would put the realistic multiplayer gameplay window with my friends into 2028 (December 2027, plus the requisite bugfix patches for it to actually work :P). And while that's purely extrapolation from a limited set of data points, we really haven't been given anything promising to the contrary. After all, we were being shown reentry effects in February at launch, and Science Parts shortly after that.

1 hour ago, chefsbrian said:

Teams still struggling to keep things like KERB at the promised cadence after all, much less substantial updates, much less milestone updates.

This is the thing that concerns me.  We are told that we will get KERB every 2 weeks...and then every time we should get a KERB we instead get an excuse as to why we aren't getting one.  The biggest thing the community has complained about is the lack of communication, and in the face of them promising us more, we actually get less.

The last KERB was 2/23, which means the next one should be this Friday the 8th.  My guess is it will get delayed at least a week.

Edited by Scarecrow71

Extra updates in between isn't automatically a bad thing. Could be they were talking about KERB hotfixes. The more errors are fixed, the more people there are to work on the remainder, and the faster the fixes come.

Also, in the interview, they were talking about new stock features, like Alarm Clock and Precision Manoeuvring. No rule says they have to be packaged with Colonies.