"Great American Eclipse" II: April 8 2024

6 minutes ago, tater said:

Will do 2027 instead of 2026. Duration for 2026 is way short, and the altitude is so low... Egypt in 2027 has totality >6 minutes. \

Center of Egypt, combine it with wally of the kings but book now as prices will go up. 

On 4/11/2024 at 2:03 PM, Superfluous J said:

The big cruises are ridiculously cheap for what you get. Try to find a hotel for 7 nights, and all the food you can eat (including 7 full dinners) for less than $1000 a person. The downside is you are stuck on the ship for the bulk of the time and when you're not, you're stuck in a port you may have not otherwise chosen to be in, surrounded by other tourists and shops trying to swindle them.

The smaller cruises are more expensive and suffer a lot of the same problems (which can be worse on a smaller boat), plus if you're prone to sea sickness you'll notice it a lot more.

Source: Me :D

Yes one at work was in Stavanger the oil capital in Norway, he lived in north of Norway there you needed an local flight he took an ferry to Denmark and back and it was cheaper than hotel in Stavanger, yes its an expensive place in Norway who is an joke. 
And the ship is an party boat. Note its also an car ferry

A bit late to this now, but I did get to see the total eclipse the other day. Unfortunately, due to me forgetting to take the lens filter off of my telescope, I didn't get a picture of totality through it, but, hey, those are some pretty nice pictures of the sun.

1S6T4yZ.png

k9Qkzyh.jpeg

NIV0XTu.jpeg

We then left Pittsburg, New Hampshire at about 4 PM, and it took us... 12 HOURS to get home, thanks to a huge bottleneck on I-93 in a place called Franconia Notch, where it narrows down to just one lane either side. During that phase, we'd be lucky if we traveled a single mile in an hour. Like, it was genuinely exciting if we ever exceeded 5 miles per hour. I remember joking with the friend I was going with that it would take us until 9PM to get home after we left.. then we joked about midnight.. how innocent we were. In total, we did over 15 hours of driving that day. I remember getting home, looking in the mirror, and seeing that my eyes were bloodshot from how long I'd spent staring at the road, hardly blinking. The fact that I hadn't slept much the previous night didn't help either; I think, at that point, I'd been awake for more than 40 hours.

I'd still do it all over again to see the eclipse, though.

jQn09Qm.png

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tater said:

Will do 2027 instead of 2026. Duration for 2026 is way short, and the altitude is so low... Egypt in 2027 has totality >6 minutes. \

One thing I wonder about near-horizon eclipses is whether the longer shadow makes it easier to see more stars above.

The sunset effects compounded with the eclipse ones would undoubtedly be an interesting contrast to the two I've now seen. I thought about planning a drive up to Canada for the 2021 annular eclipse at sunrise, but the clouds didn't look favorable. I might be able to catch one of the upcoming annulars in Brazil or Argentina, but those are high in the sky.

Edited by cubinator

21 minutes ago, cubinator said:

One thing I wonder about near-horizon eclipses is whether the longer shadow makes it easier to see more stars above.

The sunset effects compounded with the eclipse ones would undoubtedly be an interesting contrast to the two I've now seen. I thought about planning a drive up to Canada for the 2021 annular eclipse at sunrise, but the clouds didn't look favorable. I might be able to catch one of the upcoming annulars in Brazil or Argentina, but those are high in the sky.

The issue is planning an international trip around it. My wife and daughter could not go this week, so it's likely a family vacation—so 4 people with jacked prices. Tangier would be cool—do a riad with roof patio, no traffic, just sit there and grok it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay.... finally finally plugged my camera into the PC...

No post processing on this one, haven't even sorted through them all, this probably isn't the best one.   Only processing I've done is crop. 

RUnCxKp.jpeg