Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 1:51 AM, Urus28 said:

I fully agree with you, at present time in KSP there is no actual need for tracks since terrain is not really simulated. Tracks would only a gadget to make a vehicle with a different look.

KSP2 is set more in the future and many sci-fi/future space movies have tracked vehicles, though not all of them (most have anti-gravity tech to hover). then you have this... granted it doesn't appear in a sci-fi movie dealing with space.

Landmaster.jpg

a more unique way of moving that may be more useful for the game. I do want to stay on topic, though.

Edited by Kerbal410

1 hour ago, Kerbal410 said:

a more unique way of moving that may be more useful for the game. I do want to stay on topic, though.

I don’t even know what I’m looking at here :confused:

20 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

KSP2 is set more in the future and many sci-fi/future space movies have tracked vehicles, though not all of them (most have anti-gravity tech to hover). then you have this... granted it doesn't appear in a sci-fi movie dealing with space.

Landmaster.jpg

I would welcome more options for surface vehicles, but to make these options really useful we should have a real terrain simulation in the game, at present time driving on ice or rocks is the same. With difference in terrain simulation, more diversity for vehicles would become useful and would give more challenge.

At present time, my experience with rovers is more : fix the bugs and make the wheels works... And I spent a few hours driving on Duna, Dres, Tylo, Eeloo...

On 4/2/2024 at 12:31 AM, Kerbal410 said:

Landmaster.jpg

Now this is an weird looking wheel arrangement. I see it has the option to rotate the wheel base if you get stuck, but using an larger wheel the size of the 3 should work almost as well and be simpler

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2024 at 12:47 AM, magnemoe said:

Now this is an weird looking wheel arrangement. I see it has the option to rotate the wheel base if you get stuck, but using an larger wheel the size of the 3 should work almost as well and be simpler

Yeah, but the largest wheels look a tad ugly and don't strike me as a unique means of moving around, considering the number of unique craft the game enables players to build.

Tracks also have aircraft appliances. perhaps the most famous example of tracked landing gear is the modified XB-36.

The story of when the Convair XB-36 Peacemaker was fitted with Track-Type Landing  Gear to operate from Arctic Staging Bases - The Aviation Geek Club

a much less known example is an experimental Fieseler Storch

Do-27 with tracked landing gear | Aereo, Ulm

of course, there are other things that have aircraft and land applications, like skis, similar to what is found on the F2Y.

Edited by Kerbal410

• 2 weeks later...