Everything wrong with the VAB editor in KSP2 & Suggestions!

Movement:
There is currently no way that I know of to move horizontally inside the VAB, my suggestion for this would be to include a keybind (shift+middle mouse) in order to drag the camera left or right inside the VAB. This would provide extra visibility if you craft is particularly wide or for any other reason (PLANES!!!).

UI Behavior & Design:
Most people when they are referring to the UI are upset about the behavior and not the physical look. Although I am not a fan of either the behavior or the physical look

• Part Picker: When I remove a part from the part picker, if there is no blank space I have to go all the way to the bottom to "drop" the part, please make this like KSP1 so if you select another part while "holding" one it just deletes the current part.
  • Symmetry Mode: The symmetry mode all being in the same radial needs to be separated, its very inconvenient having to cycle through each one. Just add another button to the left of the existing UI
    • image.png?ex=662ec97d&is=662d77fd&hm=3322fdc6249980e28a65b36fecd4315d3505ce8879202a7f25e55c110358f2eb&
  • Rotation: The rotate arrows are too large, these are always in my way anytime I go to rotate/move an object, not to mention grabbing them also seems to be a pain!
    • image.png?ex=662ec866&is=662d76e6&hm=318c1fa3435a34bf18ecfdbfbe74bd464e07678c02f72c7cc86075b21cdac0e2&=
  • Parts Manager: PLEASE bring back the old design, this current parts manager can be very tedious, I miss right clicking on any part and being able to perform actions on it! Finding parts through this parts manager now is very confusing, off-putting, and difficult. 

Protective Fairings: 
WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD would you change this, bring back the old behavior where you created the shell based on mouse movement + left click / right click. WHOEVER thought this was an improvement should be fired, while yes you can be more accurate it is incredibly tedious now! At the very least please give us the option of using either system! 

Bugs:

• I have found that symmetry mode does not always work how it did in KSP1, there are instances in KSP2 where I would like to use symmetry mode but am unable to (even though in KSP1 this was possible) 
  • image.png?ex=662e8364&is=662d31e4&hm=78ba4584957992e84533c5265595b59e034ea62423f8b39dd5510de5c04be7d1&=

Suggestions:

• Part: Make the tubes scalable, have a slider which you can increase length (any size), or width (preset increments sm, md, lg, xl) This would allow an enormous amount of creative possibilities!
  • Part: Make fuel tanks also scalable with the behavior mentioned above ^
  • Editor: Add the possibility for multi selecting parts, for example is I want to select multiple parts and move them this is not current possible!
  • Editor: under each part can we please have the category for this part included? This would make memorizing where to find these easier for all! 
    • image.png?ex=662eca16&is=662d7896&hm=dd5d8f7d196471ed8d9d66cd61815b6dd47db50185e58955aeaa4e3473d51a5c&
  • Trip Planner: This is a very nice feature, although in  the below screenshot it is hard to know which burn is landing/take-off from the mun for a return trip, my suggestion here would be to include some icon to indicate each! 
    • image.png?ex=662ecaff&is=662d797f&hm=8dbcf8a342d24d85bd214a5636bce423f47b997997a95967c9a2c8fd244f1572&
  • TABS: The amount of tabs in the editor can be quite overwhelming, sometimes I wish to close them all but there is no quick way to do this, my suggestion would be to implement some keybind (double left click) to quickly close all the open tabs.
    • The screenshot below looks like a computer from the 90s with a virus with the amount of popups there are lol!
    • image.png?ex=662ecb6f&is=662d79ef&hm=09636f800361e7ae2c26676be58dde15dc421dcab5df4ef2f62539ffa7125e30&

Kudos: i'm doing an awful lot of complaining, so the devs don't hate me entirely i'll mention some of the things I do like!

• Part Search: Searching for parts is very nice, I dont believe KSP1 had this, way to go on this devs!
  • Trip Planner: The trip planner is very nice, I thoroughly enjoy this!
  • Size Labels: The size labels were a very nice touch and very needed!
  • Dropdowns: the dropdowns inside each category are very nice, I find them very helpful for minimizing the amount of parts I need to scroll through!

Agree with most of this except a few points:

42 minutes ago, Leroyjenkins420 said:
  • Part Picker: When I remove a part from the part picker, if there is no blank space I have to go all the way to the bottom to "drop" the part, please make this like KSP1 so if you select another part while "holding" one it just deletes the current part.

I much prefer the ksp2 way, it saves you from one click when you want to pick a different part (which happens a lot). I usually delete either by selecting the gap between the parts or by just hitting the "del" key, and I don't find this inconvenient comparing to the ksp1 way.

• Symmetry Mode: The symmetry mode all being in the same radial needs to be separated, its very inconvenient having to cycle through each one. Just add another button to the left of the existing UI
    • image.png?ex=662ec97d&is=662d77fd&hm=3322fdc6249980e28a65b36fecd4315d3505ce8879202a7f25e55c110358f2eb&

Not against the idea, could be nice (depends on the implementation). Although, if you didn't know this, you can select the mode by right clicking on the button, no need to cycle through each one:

jILbA52.png

Protective Fairings: 
WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD would you change this, bring back the old behavior where you created the shell based on mouse movement + left click / right click. WHOEVER thought this was an improvement should be fired, while yes you can be more accurate it is incredibly tedious now! At the very least please give us the option of using either system! 

I very much disagree on this, maybe a hot take idk. The only problem with this is it's riddled with bugs, but when it works, it's way better than the ksp1 way.

• I have found that symmetry mode does not always work how it did in KSP1, there are instances in KSP2 where I would like to use symmetry mode but am unable to (even though in KSP1 this was possible) 
  • image.png?ex=662e8364&is=662d31e4&hm=78ba4584957992e84533c5265595b59e034ea62423f8b39dd5510de5c04be7d1&=

Don't know if this could be considered a bug or not. However, this is in fact, not possible in ksp1:

ujZpqZE.png

Edited by Spicat

10 hours ago, Spicat said:

I much prefer the ksp2 way, it saves you from one click when you want to pick a different part (which happens a lot). I usually delete either by selecting the gap between the parts or by just hitting the "del" key, and I don't find this inconvenient comparing to the ksp1 way.

That's my gripe as well. When I'm at WASDQEZXwhatever the Del is far away, and the gaps for deleting are too small

jtjrj1Y.png

I far more often close the category than actually delete a part/assembly. That second click feels like much smaller inconvenience than any current alternative.

I still want translation/rotation to be separated and binded to keys 2 and 3.

Free vertical movement as well. MMB part focus is great, but not so much for larger parts where I want to do something at the edge of it. 

11 hours ago, Leroyjenkins420 said:

Make fuel tanks also scalable with the behavior mentioned above

I agree, but if they stick to current progression, it won't happen.

Also, add all size varieties to all parts. 

Edited by cocoscacao

1 minute ago, cocoscacao said:

Free vertical movement as well. MMB part focus is great, but not so much for larger parts where I want to do something at the edge of it. 

Hold mmb and drag the mouse? It's wonky but it's there.

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Hold mmb and drag the mouse?

More often than not, it centers me back to the part. Sure, it's my bad input, but holding mmb is is kind of a pain in the... 

Agree about the mouse move for fairing creation...

Fairings need to ALSO be mouse driven.  Not saying to get rid of the arrows for those inclined to use them.  But creating a fairing via mouse movement and mouse clicking for the next section is soooo much faster.   

Also just build the fairing even when there is clipping.  Give a warning or highlight red sure...   but to just delete the fairing with no warning is giving us a middle finger without even telling us your giving us the middle finger.   It took me weeks to realise why the fairings were not working.   Now, I just build the fairing without the payload.... hide the fairing.... add the payload....  show the fairing and adjust the payload if or where needed.

2 hours ago, mattihase said:

Alt-copying tanks doesn't preserve fuel level. That for me is a big frustration.

Even just picking them up and putting them back seems to undo fill-level changes (from my experience trying at the seaplanes, anyways)