My honest feelings about KSP2

A survey on the community's altitude towards KSP2  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What's your altitude towards the game?

• I like it and want to support it as much as I can
    • I like it and am happy to pay a full price of 50$ to purchase the game
    • I like it but only want to support it emotionally
    • Neutral
    • I dislike it but only to the point where I wouldn't buy it
    • I dislike it and do not want to see people liking it
    • I hate it!!!

KSP1 has been my most played game ever (4000+ hours on Steam), yet that game has never really been polished. It has lots of unfinished stuff that devs started and left half-baked (consider kerbals' useless "courage" and "stupidity" values for example). So I was really happy when KSP2 was announced. I hoped it would be an opporunity to make a great game even better by producing something of a professional quality with resources of a major company. I hoped KSP2 would be deeper and more realistic than the first installment.

I realized things were going wrong when I saw almost no news about development for months. The few updates we were given were nothingburgers, they were discussing third-rate stuff like kerbals' emotions instead of serious development areas like the engine, gameplay, moddability etc. Things were obvsiously moving very slow. So when they announced the release date, I wasn't happy at all. It was clear to me that the development was still in an early stage, and it was pushed out half-baked by the impatient distributor in order to get at least some of its investments back before shutting the project down.

I didn't buy KSP2 (I decided that I would do it after they had a working science system and, even more importantly, moddability), but I'm still very sad to see the game die. I don't know why the development was so slow: corporate games, Covid, not enough resources, inexperienced management team or something else. But I think this slow pace is the main culprit: no one was ready to wait 10 years to publish a sequel to an already existing game.

3 hours ago, garwel said:

Things were obvsiously moving very slow.

I don't know why the development was so slow: corporate games, Covid, not enough resources, inexperienced management team or something else. But I think this slow pace is the main culprit: no one was ready to wait 10 years to publish a sequel to an already existing game.

For me, the most unambiguously damning moment was later, when bugs started being removed from the "K.E.R.B" report due to lack of progress rather than being fixed. The point of such a public tracker is to reassure wary customers that things are being fixed, and especially that the things that bother them the most will be addressed soon. Retreating from that because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with their own code was just an awful sign.

On 5/6/2024 at 11:06 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

All told, I started as "Shut up and take my money", but am now in the camp of "this is the reason why I never buy EA games in the first place".

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.