Take 2 earnings call documentation...

3 hours ago, K^2 said:

If anyone has T2 stock (possibly as part of your 401k), you can try filing an investor complaint with the SEC, but the details are entirely over my head, so maybe run it by somebody who understands the regulations a little better first.

I own less than one T2 share through an index fund, so I will demand to speak with the CEO post-haste

1 minute ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I own less than one T2 share through an index fund, so I will demand to speak with the CEO post-haste

You probably think that every document request under the Freedom of Information Act is a demand to speak with the president, right?

Inside trading laws exist to avoid, among other things, situations where the board makes decisions to benefit their own portfolio, rather than the investors in general. This is why they require the board to disclose any information relevant to persons who are invested or considering investing in the company, in so far as it can influence the worth of the company. Board, generally, doesn't want to share the information and will often try to dodge the responsibility. You have recourse against a company you believe not to be sharing relevant information even without owning any stock. SEC investor complaint system is simply a streamlined option that lets you obtain the information that the board wanted to be dodgy about.

And if it goes through, no, you're not going to get to speak with the CEO, or even having the CEO publicly share the information. You'll get some sort of a statement from the PR branch, which they were totally going to make anyways, regardless of any SEC complaints, they swear, that just so happens to contain information relevant to the complaint.

It's a standard way of applying pressure in a bureaucracy. It's exactly the same process as writing to your senator if your paperwork is stuck too long in some federal agency. Your senator's going to do jack, but some staffer somewhere will send a standard form e-mail that reads, "There was a complaint about the case #. What's the status?" To which they'll get a standard e-mail saying, "We just processed it this morning, so there isn't a problem, here's the new status," and a day later you get an update that your paperwork's moving again.

It's a crap system, because it means nobody does what they're supposed to until there's a complaint, but at least you have a way to get it moving again, and this is the basis for everything in US from your local city council, to the federal agencies, to corporations that have their HQ here. If you live in US or plan to and you never had to deal with this, take notes. Nobody in the gov't/corp is going to tell you that you have these options.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:18 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Is your point that KSP's best aspect isn't spaceflight because Juno could be better?

If the only attraction of KSP was spaceflight it would have a hard time competing with other spaceflight sims. Yet it's far more popular. The differentiator is the Kerbals. No one else has silly little characters that make you smile, alleviate failures and provide a story.

The idea of making a (prequel) game about Kerbals, with a fresh story and the same relatable characters does not seem so far-fetched to me. Yes, you'll miss out on some of the existing audience but perhaps capture other, bigger audiences. It's not necessarily what we want in the short term. But a lively Kerbal franchise seems more likely to churn out a space flight sequel than the dead horse we're standing around kicking it right now.

On 5/21/2024 at 12:18 PM, Bej Kerman said:

You mean Kitbash is a good stepping stone to interstellar? Because it does nothing different from KSP 1 except the planes are small and you're flying around a far less impressive level on a far smaller scale.

No, I don't mean that at all. However, Felipe seems t have solved the Wobbly Components problem much better than Intercept did. And he also seems to be a lot more creative when it comes to what a new game should be. Show me anything Nate came up with in KSP2 that makes you say "wow that's a genuine leap forward and not just a mere evolutionary step."

The point is that once you get a franchise—or universe—of Kerbal games going it's easier to expand on. And once you solve certain problems, like wobbly rockets or finite resource usage, on a small scale, you can use that logic to scale up to  your "back to space" release. Meanwhile the studio is still making money selling software and isn't closed due to not producing a replica of the game they try to replace after five years of coding.

On 5/21/2024 at 1:06 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

I am pretty sure @Kerbart mentioned KitHack is testing out physics that could be expanded upon and applied to spaceflight, not that KitHack is a spaceflight sim or that it's a stepping stone to interstellar.  It's a stone to get to decent physics, and that's the context (IMO) that Kerbart was trying to get across.

Yes, exactly!

On 5/21/2024 at 7:20 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Well, KitHack hasn't been around all that long, so I'd be surprised it they solved a problem in months that KSP1 couldn't solve in more than a decade.  But, you know, you just keep on bashing on something for not solving that problem instantly.  <_<

The issue is, that wobble was in at all. They should not have started with a situation where they had to solve it. Wobbly rockets were the one big thing to solve to cure everything from bad performance with large craft to issues with landed craft. Sure, there were other issues, but simply the fact that they started with wobbly rockets made me loose all faith. I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but I knew KSP2 was doomed.

They were doing graphics bling, not an engine update.

On 5/23/2024 at 5:43 AM, dr.phees said:

The issue is, that wobble was in at all. They should not have started with a situation where they had to solve it.

Well, the question is, do we want flex at all? I'm not sure the community overall would have been happy with rockets that are perfectly rigid in any configuration. No matter how absurdly long and thin you make the beams?

It would also be way harder to tell what's failing. When properly configured, flex sort of tells you where you don't have enough structural support. So if your rocket snaps, you usually know what happened. With rigid rockets, you can still compute the stress on all the joints, and it can be done very efficiently. But then the player would have no indication that something's close to breaking. The first indicator you'd get is the parts failing and your rocket falling apart.

And the moment you have flex, you're going to have wobble in some configurations. Your options are absolute rigidity or a sometimes wobble. I'm not convinced that it was a conceptual mistake to go for the latter. It might have been wrong for the team's capabilities, which is also an argument to be made, but I don't think we could have known that back in 2020.

Well, the earnings report did not illuminate much and this thread is now just duplicating conversations already going on elsewhere. Time to put it to bed.