This ship is running across Eve

A9NsVU8h_o.png

It did it on two landings. The first time I thought it was the wind and rushed around cutting chutes until it tipped over and exploded. The second time I  realised it was running in the opposite direction of the chutes. I think it has to do with the wobble of the neck. I wish I had a movie. The legs are bending and stretching. It looks like it is running.

I can't get the video to run but I presume it's sliding downhill rather than the wind pushing the parachutes? :D My advice would be to wait for it to come to rest rather than try to do something that might tip it over, because if that falls you'll never be able to get it upright again. Meanwhile, relaxing and enjoy the scenery rolling by! 

It's not a problem. It's just funny to watch. I don't think it's sliding. I think it's a Dean Drive. I've repeated it three times landing in three different places.

The video works for me. This forum I have trouble with.

It's oscillating. It's a tuned system with positive feedback. The energy is provided by the force of gravity trying to drag it downhill. It'll stop when the slope gets too shallow (or too steep) for the system to be 'tuned'.

It relies on the relative difference in the inertia of the legs and the larger inertia of the body. In your case, the flexing/nodding action of the uppermost section contributes to the tuning. It's lovely to see this sort of emergent behaviour in KSP. A testimony to the great work the devs did on getting the physics right.

The principle has been exploited in children's toys for centuries. Here's some Ramp Walkers on YT.

I remember chasing after my Eve lander once, back in one of the older builds when every planetary surface was covered in slippery stuff. 

(taps cane on floor for emphasis while sitting in a rocking chair) 

• 3 weeks later...