Some turmoil on steam discussions about a quote on quote "upcoming update" and what it could imply

2 hours ago, RUD Everyday said:

On Steam, the top thread is that there is an update coming next week. If this is true, then the game could live on (barley)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/954850/discussions/0/4516632045446453190/?ctp=2

People believe it to be released tomorrow i guess 

Response 1: Source?

500 responses later... no source....

There is no way people can realistically derive a date from the quoted text. They still refuse to admit closure of a studio touting more than a decade without a single employee.

Why would anyone expect accountability for a single project. I have to believe that the OP of the steam thread was being a troll. I cannot fathom an inability to parse legal speak from "update dropping 8/3/ 2024

Steam forums are full of trolls, don't trust it too much. There were always these hand full of users provoking the readers throughout the entire development time with just 1-3 empty sentences, trying to get points. Palworld forums is similar ("game dead", "Pokemon rip off, you get sued"), only difference the game generally received way more positive reviews.

Might also be interesting, but don't bother looking for something clear:

If you get an update, it's guaranteed to be inconsequential. You don't take a game like this from 35% complete to any more than 35.0002% complete with zero staff working on it.

On 8/4/2024 at 6:55 PM, TLTay said:

If you get an update, it's guaranteed to be inconsequential. You don't take a game like this from 35% complete to any more than 35.0002% complete with zero staff working on it.

You have lofty estimations for the level of progress a new update would bring. 

Well, FWIW, my Steam copy is marked up-to-date, and the executable is marked as last updated on July 14th, which matches the last patch notes posted on July 11th. In fact, I don't see any files that have been modified after that date. So if some change took place in the depot, it wasn't a change to any of the game's files.

There's been no depot activity in any of the steam repo's since July 1st - if someones doing something, its solo and they're not pushing anything to any of their usual channels. The only other publicly tracked changes to anything visible on the steam is the steady downwards tick of the overall review score, which tracked to 37% back on Monday.

This guy was just trolling for jesters, become a weird steam forum cultural thing to compete to appear to be the stupidest forum member to collect them. Popular ways include defending the seemingly indefensible, posting deliberate controversy, etc.

13 minutes ago, chefsbrian said:

posting deliberate controversy, etc.

Maybe I should talk about Nate's Mün Landing and that it has been a hoax. It was only a recording made in some VFX studios... You think it would get me some steam forum points? :D

Edited by caipi

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2024 at 2:26 AM, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Steam forums are full of trolls, don't trust it too much. There were always these hand full of users provoking the readers throughout the entire development time with just 1-3 empty sentences, trying to get points. Palworld forums is similar ("game dead", "Pokemon rip off, you get sued"), only difference the game generally received way more positive reviews.

Might also be interesting, but don't bother looking for something clear:

I "love" the wording in that response. No "we are currently working on KSP2" but "We are currently WORKING ON A PLAN FOR THE FUTURE of..."