Show off your awesome KSP pictures!

NuclearWarfare

How did you create the blueprint? It's really awesome.

[TABLE=width: 800]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Thank you! :)

It's actually kind of a tedious process, (and one I can't describe in initial detail for legal reasons), but basically the process goes like this:

1. Pull frame from game with desired ship waiting on the runway in .obj format

2. Import frame into Blender and strip away all other geometry that came along for the ride (runway, other ships, the buildings etc)

Dev-1.PNG

3. Export .3ds file from Blender

4. Import .3ds into Sketchup and remove remaining extra geometry that wasn't visible in Blender (the process actually snags everything that the game is rendering at the moment of capture, including a portion of Kerbin in camera view)

Dev-2.png

5. Re-align and de-skew model (the initial capture process usually skews the model in multiple directions)

Dev-3.png

6. Clean up model, removing duplicate groups and lines

Dev-4.png

7. Refine model, rounding edges

Dev-5.png

8. Change display style to simple outline, turn off camera perspective

Dev-6.png

9. Export .png images of standard angles and assemble images in Photoshop

Dev-6-5.PNG

10. With each imported image: scale, invert image and set layer to "screen"

Dev-7.png

Dev-8.png

Dev-9.png

Tada!

The end result is a nifty plan view of the ship, and leaves me with a clean model I can convert and use in Photoshop to produce additional artwork such as

Scout_landing.png

Or perform more detailed 3D renders in Sketchup, such as

DiggerHoverHanger4.png[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Jon Tash, ever play X2: The Threat? Your shuttle vehicle kinda looks like an Argon Nova. :D

I didn't play X2 (only X3:R, X3:TC and XR) but I know what you're talking about. :)

I transferred Rocket Parts from the ground to the ship using this transporter.

screenshot122.png

screenshot124.png

screenshot128.png

I launched the warp drive too and attached to the rest of the ship.

screenshot131.png

screenshot132.png

After alignment with Eeloo the "KCW - Omega One" await orders to activate the Warp Drive.

screenshot133.png

I think I will never build something so big, my computer can't stand so many parts and mods, so laggy. :(

Nevertheless the mission is a go! Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Fixed it for you :-) Postimage is weird in the way it links stuff, I think they intentionally make it hard to direct link to images there.

Thanks! It looks fine on my screen, but if it looks broken for you thats probably not a good sign - will go back to using Gyazo :)

It's actually kind of a tedious process, ...

Sweet! You could automate a bunch of this in a plugin, notably stripping out terrain and other extraneous meshes, or fixing the transforms to get rid of that skew you're suffering from. Spitting out an SVG top-view would be easy as well. And, why not, making a guess at takeoff speed and so on. The only thing you'd need to do is click a button, then load the obj and smooth the curves.

That reminds me I'd offered to spit out a vessel STL for someone a while back... I should get back to it.

Testing the assembly of a new space station on the launchpad:

screenshot58.png

After some slight tweaks (docking ports being blocked by solar panels etc) everything looks good. In all it comes in at under 300 parts which isn't too bad, and the first module is already in orbit.