The Icarus Program

The Icarus Program 

j8OFOy6.png

Prologue

1dLDmwk.png
    Jebediah thought the conditions were perfect for flying today. A beautiful blue sky with wispy white clouds, the airplane was running perfectly and responding quickly to every control input. It was too bad the airplane might be destroyed in a few minutes.
5S2bWo5.png
    “Have you figured out the problem yet Bill?” asked Bob irritatedly. He was sitting in the passenger seat of the little buggy while the engine groaned pitifully. “We were supposed to be out in the hills by now testing the drill.”
    “There’s nothing wrong with the engine,” said Bill as the engine choked and died. “Your little drilling contraption is drawing so much power the starter will barely turn over.”
    “By my calculations the drill leaves plenty of power for the engine,” Bob shot back as Bill got out and walked around to the buggy engine.
    “Plenty power once the engine is running,” Bill opened up the engine compartment and began rooting around. “The engine stalled driving up onto the runway. Speaking of which, we really need to build a proper runway here. To get it going again the starter needs a lot more power. Once I yank the power supply to your contraption the buggy will start right up.”
    Bob grumbled about daily schedules as Bill thumped around behind him. After a few minutes Bill closed the engine compartment and climbed back into the driver seat. He turned the ignition key and the engine groaned briefly and coughed before stopping. Bob put his head in his hands.
1grWTWf.png
    “KSP control, this is Kilo-Lima-three-three-Tango out of Baikerbanur,” said Jebediah as the runway to KSC became visible ahead. “I am ten kilometers west and inbound for landing at runway 09.”
    "Kilo-Lima-three-three-Tango, this is KSC Tower,” the response came after a few moments. “Negative on your landing request at KSC due to an obstruction on the runway. I repeat, unable to accommodate landing at KSC. Please divert to Island Airfield."
    “Sorry KSC Tower,” said Jebediah. “I am bingo and landing on runway 09.”
    “Negative Kilo-Lima-three-three-Tango,” Jebediah heard over the radio. “If you are bingo you have enough fuel to divert to the nearest alternate. Please divert to Island Airfield.”
    “No can do KSC Tower,” said Jebediah with a chuckle. As he flew closer he could see a small vehicle on the runway with two Kerbals. “When I say bingo I mean I have enough fuel to make runway 09.” Jebediah glanced down at the fuel gauge. “Or maybe enough to glide down to runway 09.”
    The radio was silent for a few moments. “Wait one Kilo-Lima-three-three-Tango.”
5S2bWo5.png
    “Do we need to push this thing back to the hanger?” asked Bob with exasperation.
    Before Bill could answer the radio in the buggy crackled.
    “Bill this is Bobak,” said the radio. “Come in please.”
    “This is Bob,” Bob responded as he grabbed the radio. “I think we will need someone to push us back to the hanger.”
    “Bob we have a more immediate concern,” said Bobak over the radio. “Jebediah is on approach right now and we need to clear the runway.”
    “This thing is not moving until we get something to push it,” grumbled Bob. “Tell Jeb to land somewhere else.”
    “Hey,” said Bill. “I can get this thing running again!”
    “Bob,” Bobak’s voice became very urgent. “Jebediah is about to run out of fuel, and he is one minute away.”
    “He what?” asked Bob as his mind processed what Bobak had said. As his brain restarted he quickly looked both ways down the runway and his eyes widened at what he saw.
Pag6Mza.png
    “We need to move now!” exclaimed Bob grabbing Bill’s arm and pointing at Jeb’s aircraft.
    Bill looked up and gaped. He quickly turned back and pushed the buggy’s starter button. “Come on! Come on!” exclaimed Bill as the engine groaned, trying to turn over.
    Bob jumped up and ran to the back of the buggy. He pushed it as hard as he could but the little vehicle would not move.
    “Put it in neutral!” cried Bob.
    “What?” asked Bill in confusion.
    “PUT IT IN NEUTRAL!” yelled Bob. “I’m going to push the buggy off the runway.
bHF7M2k.png
    Jebediah gulped slightly looking at the buggy sitting in the middle of the runway. If he landed short he would never stop before crashing into the buggy, if he landed long he would roll out right into the ocean. Well, better go for a swim than risk the life of the two Kerbals sitting on the runway.
    Jebediah pushed the throttle up to gain altitude and land just past the buggy. The turbines responded with increased thrust… then the airplane twisted toward the right side of the runway as the right engine cut out, followed by a sudden silence as the turbines ran out of fuel and stopped. The aircraft began falling out of the air toward the start of the runway and straight toward the buggy, causing Jebediah to gulp again.

9q3EXyD.png
    Bob heard the squeak of tires touching down on the runway and a spike of fear shot through him. He redoubled his efforts and felt the buggy lumber forward as Bill popped it out of gear. As the buggy gained momentum, Bill turned the wheel and the buggy pointed to the side of the runway. Bob could hear the screech of the airplane trying to stop as the buggy dipped over the hill at the side of the runway and dropped off the runway. Bob went from pushing the buggy to gripping it for all he was worth. As he let the buggy drag him off the runway he saw the shadow of the wing crossing over top of him.
OASk8nn.png
    The buggy bumped to a stop but Bob’s death grip refused to let go. After what seemed like an eternity his arms began to ache and he fell off the buggy, dropping face first into the grass. As his heaving breaths began to slow he heard the sound of feet running toward him.
    “Are you guys alright?”Jebediah cried out.
    Bob continued to lie face down for a moment, then he groaned and rolled over. Jebediah dragged him back up to his feet and repeated his question.
UAx2R5b.png
    “I am fine,” gasped Bob. “Bill?”
    “I’m good you two,” said Bill softly. “Jeb are you alright?”
    “What in the world are you doing, dropping out of the air like that on us?” growled Bob.
    “I was test flying a new afterburning turbofan,” said Jebediah with a grin. “You wouldn’t believe how fast you can go with that thing. Unfortunately it burns gas way faster in the air than the engineers predicted from ground tests.”
    “Engineers,” muttered Bob with a glance at Bill. ”Always expecting their cobbled together messes to work just fine.”
    “Well at least what we build works more often than all the scientific theories out there,” Bill grinned at Bob.
    “What are you doing with this thing on the runway anyway?” asked Jebediah, looking at the buggy.
    ”We were heading out to the hills to test a new drill for mining,” said Bob. “Of course Bill did not supply enough power.”
    “Everything met your specs Bob,” said Bill.
    “Mining drill?” asked Jeb.
    “Testing out a new theory I developed for mining ore that can be used to refuel rockets when they land on the moons or other planets,” said Bob proudly.
    “Mining moons?” asked Jebediah, scratching his head. “Why not just mine Kerbin?”
    “Have you noticed the price of fuel lately Jeb?” asked Bob.
    “Yeah,” said Jebediah. “Between the cost of fuel and how thirsty that afterburner is, it cost nearly ten times more to fly here from Baikerbanur than it did a year ago. Still, wouldn’t it cost a lot more to get fuel from the Mun or Minmus?”
    “The price is going up because we are running out of mineable resources on Kerbin,” said Bob. “Current projections find all resources will be used up in the next five years.”
    “Hunh,” said Jebediah. “Then what do we use for flying?”
    “Then we have no fuel, so no flying,” said Bob. “Unless we find a source of resources elsewhere in the Kerbol system.”
    “So you want to fly this buggy to the Mun,” said Jebediah looking, thoughtfully at the buggy.
    “Something like this buggy,” responded Bob. “Once we get the mining drill prototype working, I will be working with Bill to build a system that can mine on other bodies in the Kerbol system.”
qJMyqu5.png
    “Going to the Mun,” said Jebediah, glancing up at the Mun just starting to rise in the sky. “That sounds like fun.”
    “I am very glad you think so, Jeb,” said Bill, putting an arm around Jeb’s shoulder. “I have a proposal for you and your junkyard.”

OOC
    Something I found funny. I was creating the last image but the Mun was at the wrong angle while creating the flying shots, and Kerbalism was determined to kill my Kerbals before I could timewarp to the right time. So I recovered everyone and timewarped to get the Mun rising, relaunched the rover and plane. I ran Jeb from the parked plane to the rover (probably should have taxied but meh). As I closed in on the rover, the plane, which had the engines shut off, taxied past Jeb and kept on heading down the runway.

Edited by Drethon

Posted (edited)

Chapter 1

Welcome to the first report on the Kerbal Space Program, this is Walter Kerman.
    After decades of testing, experimentation, and the occasional massive explosions, Kermanity has finally conquered flight and proven it can be safe. Thousands of Kerbals daily are flying to distant parts of the globe and fewer than a dozen a week are injured in accidents. This great advancement was not without cost however. Hundreds of test pilots perished in the pursuit for higher and faster flight. Today we are left with one single surviving test pilot Jebediah Kerman.

PKm4nCg.png
    Jebediah is seen here posing in front of the aftermath of escaping a nuclear powered airplane when its reactor lost containment. The test facility the explosion occurred over was lost but Jebediah survived to test a larger nuclear powered craft. The explosion also launched radios being produced into space, providing a global disco broadcast. This event inspired Jebediah to launch other things into space.
The work has already begun on the ground. Jebediah has recruited engineer Bill Kerman and researcher Bob Kerman. Together they work tirelessly to discover the secrets of spaceflight.

FdvUAHa.png
    Bill Kerman tests controls designed for a spaceship in a centrifuge simulator. Experiments were also performed to determine if a martini is shaken or stirred in a centrifuge.

mHzlCv1.png
    Bob Kerman makes the first flight with an experimental jet pack designed by himself and Jebediah. Unfortunately shortly after this picture was taken, Bob was rushed to the hospital with a broken collar bone and three broken ribs. Worst of all was the loss of the martini experiment in the crash.
    Soon we hope to bring you news of the testing of hardware being designed to send Kerbalkind into space!
    Until next time, this was a Walter Kerman report.

azg45DO.png
    Jebediah, Bill, Bob, Gene and Werhner meet at the mission control under construction.
    “Jeb, Bill,” Bob indicated the other two Kerbals in the room. “I wanted to introduce you to Gene and Wernher.
    “Werhner was my advisor while I was working on my Doctorate of Aeronautics,” Wernher bowed slightly as Bob spoke. “Werhner has expanded his area of research to astronautics and is one of the foremost experts on theoretical rocket design. He will be an excellent source of ideas as we look to go further into space.”
    “Good day to you all,” Wernher smiled.
    “Gene has an extensive flight control and operational management background,” Gene gave a wave as Bob spoke. “He managed the Eduardo flight test center for a time and recently was the head flight controller at the Little Hare International Airport. Gene will identify the best contracts and organize the mission calendar. He will also manage the individual flights.
    “I brought you all here today so we can determine our overall mission direction and goals moving forward.”
    “I think the first goal should be to not blow up the Kerbal flying the rocket,” Jebediah said.
    “Bill and I worked closely together on refining the rocket designs,” Bill nodded enthusiastically as Bob spoke. “We are confident the current generation of rockets will suffer no catastrophic failures.”
    “Like the first test flight that launched a half an hour before the countdown?” Jebediah crossed his arms. “Since the flight control computer wasn’t active the rocket did cartwheels until it crashed into the pad. That repair put the program back by months.”*
    “The system designed to protect the on board science experiments failed,” said Bob. “Sent a spike of current through the launch system.”
    “The improved design has been thoroughly tested,” said Bill. “That problem will not repeat.”
    “The four kerbal launch?”*, asked Jebediah. “When that rocket fell back to the pad we were all lucky it didn’t explode.”
    “We added a grounding strap to the rocket,” said Bill. “It will prevent excess current from sending bad signals during the launch.”
    “The first rocket to leave the launch pad flew straight into the ocean,”* Jebediah spread his arms in exasperation. “It was still going at full thrust when it went under!”
    “The fuel tank buckled where it connected with the pod,” said Bob.
    “We reinforced the fuel tanks,” said Bill. “Even the strongest booster can’t hurt it anymore.”
    “The last test rocket blew up in a huge fireball,”* Jebediah put his hands on the table and leaned toward the other Kerbals.
    “The flight computer failed to start up and the ground control had to send the self destruct,” said Bob. “A Kerbal can always take control if the flight computer fails.”
    “So you’ve thought of everything?” asked Jebediah.
    “We have thought of everything,” nodded Bill, yet his face seemed to show a flash of uncertainty.
    “All right then,” Jebediah chuckled. “What are your long term plans?”
    “Our number one goal is finding a source of liquid fuel,” said Bob. “We have a stockpile of fuel, but it is only one hundred thousand kilograms.”
    “My Kerbol!” exclaimed Wernher. “My rocket design to land on Eeloo requires around 25,000 kilograms of fuel for each launch. We would use up all of this stockpile in four launches!”
    “Exactly,” said Bob. “We also want to keep quiet about the fuel shortage issue to avoid a public panic and hoarding of liquid fuel. So I propose that no mention of the coming fuel crisis will be made in public. No talking to the press or to anyone outside of this group.”
    There were nods all around.
“Because of our small stockpile of liquid fuel, we need to stick to small and efficient rockets,” said Bob. “We can also limit our liquid fuel usage by use of solid fuel boosters, since our production capability of solid fuel is more than sufficient. Though the higher weight of booster rockets will result in larger, more expensive rockets.”
    “If you don’t go overboard, we can cover expenses with a fair amount left over,” said Gene. “The World-Firsts Record-Keeping Society built up quite a stockpile during flight research. They’ve also generated a lot of buzz over the next records we can achieve in space. Along with the World Firsts contracts, a lot of companies are looking to test new equipment, the science community will pay for science data from space, and wealthy Kerbals are excited about traveling into space.”
    “This is good,” said Bob. “To achieve our primary goal of mining fuel outside of Kerbin we will need the funds to expand the program.”
    “I know a Kerbal that can help ensure we stick to a tight budget,” said Gene. “I will see if he is interested in working with us. We can also develop standardized rockets to reduce cost. Once the ground crew has experience with a design, building more will cost less.**”
    “I will focus my research on improving efficiency and lowering the cost of the rockets,” said Wernher. “Bigger rockets can come later.”
    “Excellent,” said Bob. “The last goal is the one Jeb brought up earlier, keeping our Kerbalnauts safe.” Jebediah nodded vigorously as Bob spoke. “To this end I propose the rockets be primarily operated through computer control to avoid Kerbal error.”
    “Wait,” exclaimed Jebediah. “I was thinking about making sure the rockets reliably follow the pilots commands, not taking control away from the pilot!”
    “Take a look at this graph,” said Bob. “As the design of aircraft improved over time, Kerbal factors became the dominating cause of airplane crashes.”

KS9guZJ.png
    “I do not want computers to take away control from the pilot,” said Bob. “I want computers to be the primary flight control system to ensure the optimal and safe flight paths, while the pilot can take over control should the system fail.”
    “And how safe are the computers at flying a rocket right now?” asked Jebediah. “We just talked about how one rocket was destroyed because the flight computer failed to take control.”
    “Not very good,” sighed Bob. “We will need to work toward a better flight computer. The computer can learn from a Kerbal pilot over a number of missions until it can fly as good as a Kerbal.”
    “You mean learn from me?” asked Jebediah. “As I seem to be the only Kerbal rocket pilot.”
    “The only one for the moment,” said Gene.
    “Yes,” said Bob. “The computer will learn from you, Jeb. Over time we will be able to develop a mechanical version of you, call it a mechanical Jeb, or MechJeb.”
    “So long as I can still fly the rocket,” said Jebediah.
    “Yes, you are the primary pilot and in command of the rocket,” said Bob. “Which brings up the last point. The project needs to project confidence and excitement about space to encourage public interest and help increase the number of contracts covering our costs. I propose that you be the public head of the project, Jeb.”
    “Me?” asked Jebediah. “This is your project.”
    “It is a good idea,” said Gene. “You are the most popular test pilot, since you were the only surviving test pilot in the flight program. The funds to start the space project, and some of the parts we are currently using, came from your junkyard. It shows the public confidence in this program.”
    “Exactly,” said Bob.
    “If that is what you all want,” Jebediah looked around as everyone nodded enthusiastically. “All right then. Let’s go to space.”

*Examples roughly based on Project Mercury.
        Little Joe 1 launched a half an hour early: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Joe_1
        Mecury-Redstone 1 only traveled up 4 inches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_1
        Mercury-Atlas 1 had the connection between the Atlas and Mercury capsule fail and buckle, the rocket crashed into the ocean. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Atlas_1
        The third RM-90 Blue Scout II launch went out of control and had to be destroyed by the range safety officer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RM-90_Blue_Scout_II
        Note there were also a number of successful flights at the same time, but new reports tended to focus on the failures.
    **Yeah, not really an in game thing, but I like the concept so will run with it.

OOC
    So some background. Everything in this story is flown in a real KSP mission. The game is set to hard mode, except I’m allowing all saves and loads as I fail too often at checklists and the kraken shows up often enough in KSP that I want to avoid breaking the playthrough. Also probes will be uncontrollable if not connected. I wanted light speed delays to probes, but RemoteTech and Kerbalism (mentioned next) integration seems to be preventing this, so I’m kind of simulating this manually. I am also using Kerbalism so life support and sufficient habitation space is required. I disabled engine reliability in my test playthrough as engines kept randomly failing. I seem to be doing better in the story playthrough as I’ve relearned how to fly, will see how it goes. I may also disable radiation storms if they are too much of a problem in deep space. I’ve read horror stories about it, but haven’t gotten to trying it yet myself.
    Hyperedit and editing of the persistence file will be used occasionally where something in the story is not possible in game. This will be of very limited use, no hyperediting for infinite fuel or tossing something to orbit. A few persistence editing is used where some missions happened in my development playthrough that fit the story nicely, but refused to pop up in the story playthrough.
    I am also enforcing the liquid fuel limitation manually, fuel is still purchased but I’m not allowing any use beyond the 100k limit. I know a lower limit is possible with crazy booster only rockets, but I’m only going for limited fuel, not eliminating its use. This is less a personal challenge and more a storyline item. Related to this, I’m open to any and all suggestions on how I could design rockets better (both in general and for the story), but the playthrough is way ahead of the published chapters, so I can’t promise any changes due to suggestions.
    All images are taken from in-game, or from (I think in all cases) official KSP images for videos. Except for a few stock images used where appropriate.
    Each chapter will include references to related real world events and quotes that are being used in the story. These references are designated by * in the story, though I will use roman numerals once there are more than three references (there are a lot of potential moon landing references). I will be adding links to each reference for anyone interested in learning more about real world history, mostly focused on the space program. A lot of references are likely widely known and can be ignored by people knowledgeable in this history. I just like odd references.
    The name The Icarus Program will make more sense as the story continues. I considered some generic name for the post until the story progresses, but decided just to start with the name The Icarus Program.
    I intend to post once a week on average. Some chapters will be longer and may get spread out over weeks. Of course real life may result in schedule changes.
    Not sure if this is any good, but I had fun creating it. I hope you all enjoy this!

Edit: What do all of you think of the image sizes?  I don't see any way to set the image size in the post, so I'm just resizing the images to upload to imgur.  I'm currently going with the image size from my game, 1920x1080, and scaling all edited images to 1920 wide (except date images, will start in chapter 2).  Do these look good, too large, ...?

Edited by Drethon

Posted (edited)

Chapter 2

BR5Ecrh.png

This is Walter Kerman with an in-depth look into the testing involved and development of the first piloted Kerbal rocket. Welcome to the Kerbal Space Center, the facility developed by Jebediah Kerman as the first facility on Kerbin dedicated to spaceflight. You will travel alongside us as we are provided unprecedented access to this new facility.
jo42sbv.png
    “You!” exclaimed a Kerbal moving quickly toward us. “You are Walter Kerman, the journalist!”
    Um, yes I am, and you are?
    “Hello Walter, I am Walt!”
    What can we do for you Walt?
lDfaIAZ.png
    “It's about what I can do for you Walter!” Walt grabbed my hand and dropped a handful of dust into it. “What is this?”
    Dust?
    “Exactly!” beamed Walt. “Nearly everything we know about how Kerbin was formed can be found in rocks in dust. There is limitless science in that handful of dust!
    “The KSC will be launching Kerbals higher and further than ever. They will be performing science observations and measurements and bringing back samples from their travels.
    “Just think, dust and rocks from the Mun and Minmus! Everything we have learned from Kerbin we can learn and more from rockets launched from the KSC!
    “People need to be told! Exciting times are here and people can participate by following the space program and encouraging companies to provide contracts to help the KSC launch rockets higher and further!”
    Um yes, thank you Walt.
    “Thank you Walter!” Walt rushed off as quickly as he arrived.
    Our team scoured the KSC personnel records as I talked with Walt. It seems he is the head of public relations for the KSC. He certainly is enthusiastic about his job.
    Next we visit the Vehicle Assembly Building, known as the VAB, is where our rockets will be assembled, and then rolled out to the launch pad. Ah! Here we have Bill Kerman working hard on the command pod that will protect our Kerbalnauts while traveling through space. Bill is our expert engineer, who will be taking the scientists’ ideas and turning them into real equipment for the space program that the ground crew will then assemble into rockets. Bill! What can you tell us about the work you are doing here!
dL7Myln.png
    “Hi Walt!” exclaimed Bill in a high squeaky voice.
    It’s Walter, I am not your public relations officer.
    “I’m working on the Mk1 Command Pod,” Bill’s voice continued to be very high and squeaky. “The pod uses reaction control wheels to control its orientation during flight.” He pointed up at the top of the Command Pod. “A Mk16 Parachute slows the pod’s descent enough at sea level to ensure no damage to the equipment aboard the pod. The only issue we’ve had so far is the little cone shape refuses to maintain air pressure, so the pilot will need to wear a space suit while outside of the atmosphere.”
    Thank you Bill, that was very informative. Um… why is your voice so strange?
    “We have a small helium leak,”* squeaked Bill. “It's fine, completely harmless to the pilot.”
lykDfIa.png
    Alright then, ah we have Wernher von Kerman nearby. Wernher developed the original rocket designs and has been working on bigger and better rockets for the future of the space program. Wernher! What can you tell us about your latest rocket design?
    “It will free Kerbals from their remaining chains,” Wernher said without looking up from his schematics. “the chains of gravity which still tie us to this planet. It will open to us the gates of heaven."**
Hmm, not quite what I meant, but an interesting statement to contemplate. The ground crew is working hard at setting up the manufacturing lines for rockets. The lead of the ground crew tells me they have enough personnel and space to produce one small rocket every two weeks. Wernher has theorized about the design of large and extra large sizes, which would currently take four weeks and eight weeks to construct respectively. The ground crew has proposed two vehicle assembly building upgrades that can each double the speed at which rockets are constructed.
zAsgIWL.png
    We should move on to the science lab. Here we have Bob Kerman developing the future technology that will allow Kerbals to travel deeper into space. Let us listen to one of our great scientific minds at work.
FvEGGGB.png
    “Report communications quality,” Bob said to the electronics laid out before him.
    “<skirt> he <snikt> ve <crackle>,” emanated from a speaker.
    “Oh for Kerbol’s sake,” Bob adjusted a few knobs. “Can you hear me now?”
    “<crackle> wha <snikt> ing <skirt>,” the sounds from the speaker seemed even worse than before.
    “To Moho with this,” grumbled Bob, putting his head in his hands.
    I am told that radio communications will not be important to the missions until a rocket reaches orbit. I am sure Bob will soon work out the issues he is encountering. The program is already making notable strides in science, with experiments on a Mystery Goo and Kerbalnauts practicing scientific reports on the ground already producing 3.4 units of science. Bob has informed me this science data is already being applied to better rocket technology. Next we will visit mission control where they are preparing for operation of the many rockets that will be traveling to the various bodies in the Kerbol system.
t6zs4jV.png
    Gene! What is the latest in preparations for all of the space flights you will be organizing!
    “No time to talk now,” Gene held his microphone away as he spoke. “All of the computer stations in the command center came with Windows installed! We have to get Kubuntu running on all these stations before we can properly track spaceflights.”
    Too much is happening in the command center right now. I am told Jeb is at the launch pad running a test of our first rocket engine. This should be very exciting to observe!
h40xGXI.png
    Here we see the test stand for the RT-5 Solid Fuel Booster. This booster is nicknamed the “Flea” for its small size. The booster was found discarded after a fireworks show, packed with extra fireworks explosives, and adapted to mate with a Mk1 Command Pod. This configuration provides enough thrust to blast a single Kerbal into the upper atmosphere. First, however, the booster needs to be tested to ensure it will safely launch our Kerbalnaut. Jebediah has determined the best method is to test the booster inverted to avoid accidentally launching the rocket into the air, as one of the competing space programs had occur in a recent test.*** The Mk1 Command Pod is attached for full control of the booster, as well as a test of the structural integrity of the pod. Jebediah is very confident the pod will not be squashed like a pancake during the test.
    We would love to provide you a live interview with Jebediah as preparations continue before igniting the booster, however all communications have been hard wired to the pod, with the Kerbal Space Center providing video only data from the pod. We are told this is to perform testing without worrying about EMI effects. However our directional microphones picked up Gene Kerman muttering something about keeping Jebediah from saying something dumb while hyped up for igniting a booster.
zkkt52W.png
    And we have ignition of the booster! You can really feel the roar of the booster in your chest as it burns like an oversized bottle rocket! The test seems to be progressing well as Jebediah looks very pleased.
L3CpKx4.png
    Wait, Jebediah is exiting the rocket. He seems to be deploying something on the ground as the test completes and echoes of the booster’s roar continue bouncing off the distant mountains.
jMTFtan.pngIV
    Ah, it seems Jebediah has found a way to communicate despite the radio lock out from KSC. It seems our Kerbalnauts are as excited as we are about the space program moving forward. With the completion of the booster test, my understanding is in two weeks time the first complete rocket will finish assembly on the launch pad and be ready to lift Jeb into the upper atmosphere.

* Not sure how things can keep getting worse for Boeing products. I hope this little reference does not turn tragic. https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/nasa-considers-keeping-boeing-astronauts-space-station-february-rcna165587
** Quote from Wernher von Braun. https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/283265.Wernher_von_Braun#
*** Accidental launch of Chinese rocket from test stand. https://www.space.com/space-pioneer-tianlong-3-rocket-accidental-launch
IV Mangled Alan Shepard quote. https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/alan-shepard-freedom-7

Edited by Drethon

Posted (edited)

Chapter 3
Wz4HYrT.png
    This is Walter Kerman reporting on the great day when we finally blow, er blast, er launch a Kerbal off the ground in a rocket. On arrival at the launch pad we were surprised to find that the rocket in front of us was essentially the same rocket as the test of the Flea booster, simply flipped over and a small parachute added to the top.
    This rocket is the first model of the Halifax rocket, the Halifax class A. The Halifax family of rockets are planned for flight up to low orbit over Kerbin. A new rocket family will be designed once we begin to move beyond low Kerbin orbit.
xMH7Tmg.png
    When asked about the lack of landing gear or larger parachutes we received the following quote from Gene Kerman.
    "Additional parachutes and landing gear would increase the weight of the rocket which would require more fuel to reach the target altitude. As the Mk1 Command Pod has no life support, we are also testing how well our space suit works in the upper atmosphere, before later flights reach into the vacuum of space. Bob has assured us that the rocket engines have sufficient strength to handle touchdown under the parachute on this flight."
    Gene was further asked what the primary mission objective was for this first launch.
    “To get it out of sight,”* responded Gene.
    It is most fortunate this project is being led by the greatest engineering minds of our time.
    The rocket was named by Jebediah, the Freedom Three.** Freedom was chosen as this is the first step to free Kerbals from the bounds of Kerbin’s gravity, to bring us out to space. The official word is Three was chosen to honor the first three Kerbalnauts, Jebediah, Bill and Bob, though some have noted the command pod is the third one to be produced by the Kerlington Model Rockets and Paper Products Inc.
    As the countdown reached ten minutes to launch our crew moved to set up coverage of the pad for this historic launch. However before our cameras were set up to capture this moment, the rocket roared off of the pad and disappeared from view. Once our cameras were finally set up we were able to record the aftermath of the flight returning to Kerbin.
nzJUKeb.png
    In conversations with Bob afterward he revealed that the calculations used to determine the strength of the rocket engine used data from engine tests. In these tests the forces were spread across the entire bell of the nozzle. During the launch the force of the booster overcame the command pod’s reactor wheels to a small extent, resulting in an unexpected landing arc. When the force of touchdown was concentrated on one edge of the nozzle, the engine collapsed and detonated the remaining unburnt firework powder in the booster. Fortunately the command pod was strong enough to withstand the explosion. The goo container also survived, giving researchers interesting data about the goo's use as an explosion absorbing material.
    The mission produced new World Firsts records in top speed of a rocket (over 250m/s), highest altitude of a rocket (over 7,000m), and safe return to the surface of a launched rocket and crew. The launch also completed a contract for World Firsts to launch the first Kerbal piloted rocket. 7.7 units of science were gathered to be analyzed by our scientists, including data on how the goo jiggles and wobbles while flying.
    Our inside sources tell us that the next launch will be delayed for some time while Jebediah’s researchers ponder safely returning the command pod without risk of booster explosions. Bill discussed thoughts on the goo’s reaction to the explosions to help with designing a larger booster, with the capability to reach into space.

*Quote from a NASA (NACA?) project manager. https://www.planetary.org/articles/20180412-funpost-funny-thing
**Based on the first Mercury rocket. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-Redstone_3

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 15
        Gene recommended each astronaut record their thoughts after each mission to help think over how the mission went, how the space program could improve, and how the astronaut could improve. Seems like a good idea given how the aircraft flight testing program went, the number of Kerbals we’ve lost over time. Hopefully these logs never get out as it would shatter my image of a cocky test pilot.
        The first flight was a success, at least that is how Gene is recording it. The rocket met all of its goals and we brought back a good amount of science. Yet the unplanned failure of the booster on landing, the parachute just didn’t slow the rocket down enough for a safe landing. We were lucky the pod held up to the explosions. I was lucky. And the testing of the booster on the pad could have pancaked the command pod. Did Bill really think this test method was a good idea?
        I need to talk with Bill and Bob about how to safely land after a launch. Some way for the parachutes to slow the descent more, maybe drop off the weight we don’t need for the landing. Also need to come up with a test stand that lets us perform tests in a safer manner. Especially as Bill comes up with ways to make larger boosters.
        Not sure how I could improve myself after this mission, I had very little control over anything as the rocket just went up and back down. Best I can do for now is to keep up the confident front for the sake of the program.
        - Jeb.

Edited by Drethon

Posted (edited)

Chapter 4

yesHpVd.png

This is Walter Kerman reporting. As we count down to the launch of the first Kerbal mission planned to reach out into space, we look back on the testing performed to prepare for this momentous occasion. Thanks to the science gained from the previous launch, as well as ground experiments performed by our Kerbalnauts, Jebediah’s team developed the RT-10 booster, nicknamed the “Hammer” for the sharp acceleration provided by the booster. Before the booster could be used to launch a Kerbal to space, it had to be tested. Two weeks ago Jebediah set up the standard booster test configuration to test a Hammer booster.

3afzIJ1.png

On this test our team did not bother reporting live as the reaction of the booster was so intense that nothing else could be heard for miles around the Kerbal Space Center.

niZJFf2.png

The night test also provided a brilliant sight for anyone near the space center.

eOh1m9m.png

With the test going smoothly, Jebidiah appeared to decide to check on some science experiments.

This test also completed a contract for Periapsis Rocket Supplies Co to test an RT-10 booster on the launch pad.

Bill informed us that the new Hammer boosters were a significant improvement in power over the old Flea booster, but not enough to reach the desired distance into space. While pondering this issue, Bill realized it could be solved by using the TD-12 Decoupler produced by the O.M.B. Demolition Enterprises to separate the command pod from the rocket. The TD-12 uses a carefully controlled amount of explosives, cushioned by the mystery goo, to explosively separate components of a rocket. This design improvement was inspired by the booster explosion during Jebediah’s previous landing, leading Bill to use the decoupler to separate the squishy Kerbal from the flammable booster, allowing a spent booster to safely explode in some Kerbal’s backyard and the command pod to separately descend back to Kerbin in safety. Bill is additionally creating a two stage rocket by using a decoupler between two Hammer boosters, allowing the first stage’s booster to bring the second stage and command pod to a higher altitude before jettisoning the first stage. Then the second stage booster is then ignited to achieve higher altitudes than would be possible with a single booster. This rocket design is designated the Halifax class B. This innovative application of explosives will likely see Bill receiving another KSEE Blaster’s Leadership Award.*

U8yS1ti.png

Today the fully assembled rocket sits on the launch pad, waiting quietly for the countdown. The rocket is named the Peregrine Three, as it is expected to be the fastest Kerbal piloted vessel flown to date. According to inside sources, Gene has had the launch controls hard wired from the rocket to mission control to prevent any premature launches. The countdown has reached ten seconds, it is almost time to launch Jeb into space! Three! Two! One!

GItDVrM.png

Launch! Up into the sky roars Jeb with the hopes and dreams of all Kermanity to begin the age of space exploration. Higher and higher the rocket soars. The roars of the spectators become audible as the sounds of the rocket die away. It grows smaller and quieter until it disappears from sight. A hush settles over the spectators awaiting news of the success or failure of the great mission. My heart beats rapidly from the spectacle of the launch and the hope for good news. Wait, an announcement is coming over the PA system. They say… yes!

A roar goes through the crowd as the KSC reports Jebediah has made a safe water landing and live video from the rescue ship will be shown on the video monitors shortly. Another roar with the report that Jebediah reached an altitude of over one hundred kilometers, significantly higher the distance to reach space! Kermanity has begun the great adventure into the final frontier!

TgGFWcT.png

The mission achieved new World Firsts records of Land Distance by a rocket of greater than 100km, Speed Record by a rocket of greater than 790m/s, Altitude Record of greater than 70km, first rocket to reach Space, and first rocket to splash down in the Ocean. The mission completed contract parameters to test a TD-12 Decoupler landed at Kerbin for O.M.B. Demolition Enterprises, and a contract by World Firsts to escape the atmosphere. The mission was able to gather 8.9 units of science for analysis. Scientists have a significant amount of data to analyze, including determining why the mystery goo clumped into a ball. Some scientists have theorized the clumping of the mystery goo may be informative as to the problem of planetary formation.**

A short time later this reporter was able to discuss the experience with Jebediah, who provided the following quote.

“The feeling when the rockets shut off and I found myself weightless, surrounded by more stars than I’ve ever seen before is indescribable,” said Jebediah. “To be the first to enter the cosmos, to engage, single-handed, in an unprecedented duel with nature, could one dream of anything more?”***

*Name based on real life award from ISEE Blaster’s Leadership Award, not intended to reflect on the real award. https://isee.org/awards

**Based on particle clumping experiment on the ISS. http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/CosmoSparks/July14/electrostatic-particle-aggregation.html

***Actual quote of Yuri Gagarin. https://quotefancy.com/quote/1198914/Yuri-Gagarin-To-be-the-first-to-enter-the-cosmos-to-engage-single-handed-in-an

lx5GIAg.png

Some time later Jebediah returns to KSC to be welcomed by Bill and Bob.

“An excellent flight Jeb,” said Bob. “The RT-10 boosters performed better than my expectations.”

“I told ya,” exclaimed Bill. “Just like a bottle rocket heading up and away!”

“The flight could have gone better,” said Jeb, looking slightly pale. “The pointy end isn’t supposed to be down while the booster is still burning.”

“Minor problems,” said Bob. “The rocket flight achieved its target parameters.”

“I’m just glad Gene told me to decouple the booster and wait for the rocket to get out of the soup before igniting the second booster,” Jeb shook his head. “This can’t be our standard launch procedure.”

“Gene told me he knows someone who could help,” said Bill.

“You are bringing in someone to change my rocket designs?” exclaimed Bob.

“She is an expert in flying unstable airplanes,” said Bill. “I think she has some good ideas.”

“Also we may want to improve the floatation design of the command pod,”* injected Jebediah. “When I climbed out to perform science experiments in the water, some waves washed into the hatch and the pod started sinking. Fortunately the recovery ship arrived before the pod sank.”

“Everyone wants to change my designs,” muttered Bob.

* Somewhat a reference to Gus Grissom’s landing but his capsule was not recovered successfully. https://www.nasa.gov/mission/mercury-redstone-4-liberty-bell-7/

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 29

Wow this was a bad flight. Bob and his “minor problems”. Tumbling through the air is not how things are supposed to go. It brought back flashbacks of Harfen spinning out to sea in the Bobcat. He didn’t come back that day. Thank goodness Gene’s calm voice snapped me back to the mission and everything went good.

Space was a strange experience. The public needed quotes about how beautiful space is and why our wealthy tourists will one day want to look down on Kerbin from space. Yet being up there, it was no different from a high altitude flight test, just maybe the surface went by a little faster. Looking out the pod window felt just like one of the launch simulations. That isn’t to say I don’t want to go back, that I don’t want to explore further, because I do! It was just being up there in space, it seemed like I was just sitting in a simulation of a space flight.*

We need a more stable rocket or we will have a disaster the space program may never come back from… or am I just not flying good enough? Bill and Gene know the rocket flipped, they probably think I just can’t handle it, I’m the only pilot and there is no one to back me up. I guess I just need to stay the course and keep flying.

- Jeb.

*Similar to John Glenn’s thoughts as written in The Right Stuff + irony of writing a story for a simulation game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_Stuff_(book)

Edited by Drethon

Interlude 1

This is Walter Kerman reporting. Last week we experienced the first flight of a Kerbin into space, or did we? Today I am speaking to an employee of the Rockomax Conglomerate who claims a Kerbal reached space before Jebediah Kerman. This Kerbal is speaking in anonymity as he claims the coverup is being enforced by extreme measures, so we have blurred this Kerbal’s image and voice. What can you tell me about this mysterious mission to space?
58VGUgt.png
    “Two days before Jebediah’s historic launch into space,” the Kerbal’s voice was electronically distorted. “A Kerbal employed by the Rockomax Conglomerate named Vladimir Ilusion* was reported to have been involved in a serious car crash during Kerbalnaut training. This is a lie.
    “Vladimir was the Rockomax Conglomerate’s only trained Kerbalnaut. When Jebediah left the test pilot program for the KSC’s space program, the Rockomax Conglomerate hired Vladimir to test their new aircraft design, the RC-24.
    “Vladimir impressed the Rockomax Conglomerate’s leadership to such a degree that they worked with him to design a new rocket design based around a very powerful solid rocket booster. This booster will shortly be announced as a component of the KSC space program’s newest rocket, but was in fact designed before Jebediah’s space flight and tested in secret.
    “Shortly after Jebediah’s rocket flight into the upper atmosphere, the Rockomax Conglomerate assembled a rocket on a secret launch facility assembled at Baikerbanur. The launch was a great success, lifting Vladimir to an altitude of over 200km before he returned to Kerbin. The return was the problem.
    “The capsule suffered a guidance malfunction and crashed at high speed back to Kerbin, destroying the Baikerbanur launchpad. Vladimir survived but was heavily injured. The Rockomax Conglomerate is working to rebuild Baikerbanur, but cannot complete this work before the KSC space program plans to launch a rocket to orbit. The Rockomax Conglomerate leadership decided the fame of having the first launch to space will not be enough to overcome the bad press they would receive for nearly killing their first Kerbalnaut. Therefore the Rockomax Conglomerate will instead supply the KSC space program, to claim their equipment participated in the first actual flight to space by the KSC space program, letting the KSC assume the risk of whatever outcome results from the flight.”
    There you have it. We contacted the Rockomax Conglomerate leadership, providing them an early viewing of this episode, and they have strongly denied these allegations. The Rockomax Conglomerate leadership said we are free to report whatever we like, but that this story is an absolute ridiculous fabrication. We leave this story up to you, the viewer, to make of it what you will.

* Some say Vladimir Ilyushin was the first Russian to space, but this was covered up. I think this documentary from the 90s stated this as an unquestionable fact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzLFE6Q7V-U&t=2523s. Further description of both sides in Vladimir’s wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Ilyushin.

Chapter 5
0zRBUO3.png
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today is about developing the next step in the space program. While the Hammer and Flea boosters are invaluable in progressing toward bigger and better rockets, I am told a more powerful booster is desired to help lift rockets into orbit, as well as reach the Mun and Minmus. Toward that end we have the BACC solid rocket booster. This booster, nicknamed the “Thumper”, was developed by the Rockomax Conglomerate as the first booster designed from the ground up for the space program. Rockomax used temperature scans, along with observing the wobbling of the mystery goo, as the rocket ascended to space to determine how to form the solid fuel in such a large booster. Two weeks ago the Thumper was tested in preparation for today’s launch.
947g6Gl.png
    The Thumper booster is so powerful that a special built test stand was developed to prevent damage to the command pod or the launch pad. In fact we have been told that the booster will be tested at a reduced power to ensure it does not break loose from the test stand.*
tr1E9tf.png
    The Thumper roars to life, its flame blasting out to the ocean. It is fortunate that the space program had the foresight to point the booster away from the Vehicle Assembly Building as this powerful rocket would likely scorch the fine white paint from the side of the building!
    Interesting. Jebediah is exiting the command pod and walking along the length of the Thumber booster.
p6wI3uZ.png
    It seems Jebediah is standing in the flames of the booster, holding something on a stick. It is fortunate the space suits are constructed with such a strong flame retardant material. Later we were able to speak to Jebediah, who explained why he stood in the flames of the rocket.
    “I had to make sure the booster could properly roast a marshmallow,” said Jebediah. “If it couldn’t do that, the booster certainly would not be powerful enough to get us into space.”
    Two weeks later after the booster test, after assembly of a new rocket, Jebediah will now be able to test that the Thumper booster is indeed strong enough to boost a Kerbal into space in a single stage. The Periapsis Rocket Supplies Co requested that the Flea booster be hauled to an altitude of one hundred and sixty kilometers in space. The Thumper booster is estimated to be capable of lifting the second stage containing the Flea booster to an apoapsis of one hundred and thirty kilometers, while the Flea does the remaining work to reach one hundred and sixty kilometers. This higher altitude suborbital rocket is designated the Halifax class C.
iX5e8ue.png
    Jebediah commands the mission once again, having tested the Thumper booster, he is intimately familiar with its operation. Additionally he is still the only pilot in the space program. The rocket is the Margaret Kerman three**, named after the only Kerbal to, coincidentally, survive three airplane crashes into the ocean.
WB9UVlV.png
    The clock hits zero and Jebediah rockets into space, propelled by the powerful Thumper booster. The tall booster provides incredible thrust and the rocket quickly rises out of sight. As Jebediah moves higher into orbit we track his progress with a new network of powerful ground based telescopes assembled by the news networks to provide unique new images of spaceflight.
913NCG2.png
    Nearing one hundred and thirty thousand kilometers, Jebediah jettisons the spent Thumper booster and ignites the Flea booster, boosting the remaining distance up to, and beyond, one hundred and sixty thousand kilometers.      With the contract's conditions fully met, Jebediah will float safely back to earth. In addition to the contract completion, Jebediah was able to gather 4.6 units of science during his flight. With the successful operation of the single Thumper booster sending Jebediah’s rocket to a high altitude in space, preparations begin to bring a Kerbal into orbit around Kerbin. I am told we will meet a new member of the space program who will be responsible for bringing this next stage of the program to fruition.

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 57
        Today was a good flight. The Thumper was very stable, even if I couldn’t do much more than keep it flying straight up. The Flea was much more controllable outside of the atmosphere. Maybe I can handle these rockets, though we still need to improve the controllability of these rockets.
        This flight was high enough to see half of Kerbin as a semisphere. This felt so much different from my first flight into space. The first flight was pretty much a glorified airplane flight to a higher altitude. Being up over two hundred kilometers and seeing so much of Kerbin at once, really starts to bring home how big space is. We really are leaving home.
    - Jeb.

* No, I haven't unlocked the launch stability enhancers. These images were pulled from a sandbox game.
    ** Gemini 3 was nicknamed Molly Brown as a joke hoping it would not sink like Gus Grissom’s Mercury capsule. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_3

Chapter 6
Part 1
TFBxgqf.png
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today we meet the newest member of the space program, Valentina Kerman.
pAZxYEX.png

Valentina was hand picked by Gene Kerman to join the space program. Tell us a bit about your background Valentina.
    “Hi Walter, thanks for having me on your program!” beamed Valentina. “I flew as a commercial passenger and transport pilot, and have over ten thousand flight hours.”
    Will your experience as a commercial pilot help you as an astronaut?
    “My experience flying commercial airplanes gives me a very smooth hand on the controls,” responded Valentina. “Which will be helpful with some of the stability issues on previous launches. However, that is not specifically the reason why Gene chose me for the space program.”
    And that reason is?
    “For the past six months I have moved from flying commercial aircraft to testing new aircraft designs,” Valentina smiled. “Gene saw the need to begin building a new generation of test pilots, with Jebediah Kerman being the last of the original test pilots, and moving on to the space program. Specifically I have been working on testing thrust vectoring and highly maneuverable, unstable flight platforms.”
    So the plan is to apply your experience to making the rockets more stable?
    “Exactly,” nodded Valentina. “I have worked closely with Bob and Bill Kerman and we have designed a new rocket engine, the LV-T45.”
    The LV-T45 is nicknamed the “Swivel”.
    “The LV-T45 can deflect its thrust, providing thrust vectoring and better control,” Valentina leaned forward. “Additionally we plan to apply controllable flight stabilizers to rocket flight to further increase the control.”
    So what is the next step to making these more stable rockets?
    “I will be testing the LV-T45 on the pad,” said Valentina. “As well as coordinating with Jebediah to develop simulations to ensure the design will provide stable flight to orbit.”
    After the interview the ground crew worked hard to construct a new test platform. We see the new Swivel engine assembled on the pad in the standard test configuration. This new rocket looks much different in that it can be tested with a very small tank of liquid fuel and oxidizer, unlike the larger and larger boosters we have come to expect to see.
nVjvIvf.png
    We have ignition of the test rocket! The roar is as loud as that from a Flea booster, but the sound seems more smooth to this reporter’s untrained ear. If you watch closely you can see the rocket exhaust moving around as the Swivel vectors its thrust. In an earlier discussion, Bob informed me that the initial tests of the Swivel engine are performed on the ground for cost reasons, but the engine loses significant efficiency at the ground level. Once the rocket reaches vacuum, the engine gains over twenty five percent more thrust for the same fuel usage.
    “This is really not a proper test stand!” Valentina was heard reporting while the test was underway.

daMfSK3.png
    Bill, Bob, Jebediah and Valentina meet a short time after the Swivel test.
    “Unfortunately we are lacking the scientific data to use the controllable flight stabilizers at this time,” said Bob. “We just cannot yet adapt the control loops from aircraft to rockets.”
    “Trust me, we tried,” said Bill with a sigh. “But the test rocket went right through the wall of the wind tunnel. Going to take a few weeks to get everything back working again.”
    “So what do we have available?” asked Valentina.
    “We found an AV-T1 winglet by the runway after Jeb was joyriding with his personal aircraft the other day,” Bob glanced at Jebediah. “Since it is fixed, it works well with a rocket to provide stability.”
    “It isn’t my fault,” Jebediah protested. “The Swivel rocket test knocked the plane all over the place!”
    “Speaking of the Swivel test, what on Kerbin kind of test is flipping a rocket upside down so the booster can try to push the command pod through the launch pad anyway?” asked Valentina. “There is no way a command pod is designed with that in mind.”
    “Bill made me test the Hammer that way,” said Jebediah. “So all new Kerbalnauts should get the experience.”
    “Wait,” Valentina glared at Jebediah. “Was this some sort of hazing ritual?”
    “No!” exclaimed Jebediah, but Valentina kept glaring at him. “Well maybe, but the Swivel has less thrust than the Hammer. So if it held up in my test, it would hold up in yours.”
    “And why were you flying over the test fire anyway?” Bob shook his head. “Regardless, we were able to adapt the winglet for use in stabilizing a rocket.”
    “But no extra control added to the rocket,” Valentina mused. “And the Mk1 Command Pod reaction wheels still aren’t strong enough to turn a Thumper booster into a proper gravity turn.”
    “There is more bad news,” said Bob. “Jeb has been running some simulations with the BACC solid fuel booster stacked with an LV-T45.”
    “The two together just don’t have enough power to get to orbit,” said Jebediah. “No matter how hard we try to make a proper gravity turn, the Thumper just puts us too far out of position for the Swivel rocket to finish boosting the rocket into orbit.”
    “So what now?” asked Valentina. “We could add more booster rockets, but they turn so poorly, any orbit would be seriously janky.”
    “Jeb was able to find some scrap to develop the new LV-T30 engine from the LV-T45,” said Bob. “It lacks the deflection capability, but has a little more overall thrust, and performs much better in the atmosphere. The launch profile will not be great, but we have calculated the LV-T30 will be powerful enough to overcome the LV-T45 shortcomings.”
    “It is a very reliant engine,” said Jebediah. “And while it has less control overall than the Swivel, the thrust is less sharp than a booster and the command pod reaction wheels can provide a reasonable amount of control.”
    “So the orbital rocket will not use anything I’ve been working on,” Valentina looked downtrodden. “I suppose Jeb will fly the rocket as he is more familiar with the equipment.”
    “We still need your work on making rockets more controllable,” said Bob. “We do not yet have enough science for the controllable flight surfaces, but we will get there. In addition I have some thoughts on an engine with better thrust vectoring.”
    “And I won’t be flying the orbital rocket,” said Jebediah. “You have better experience than I do with unstable flight vehicles. You should pilot the rocket Val.”
    “You mean I’m going to orbit?!” Valentina beamed.
    “Yepper,” grinned Jebediah. “You better get ready for the flight Val, I hear the construction crew is assembling the rocket right now.”
    Valentina nodded and scampered off for the astronaut complex.

Edited by Drethon

Chapter 6

Part 2
nAi7xhz.png

This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today is another historic step for the space program. 
dIfpXX1.png
    Assembled on the launch pad is the rocket that will bring the first Kerbal, Valentina Kerman, to orbit. The rocket combines the powerful Thumper booster with a more efficient and controllable LV-T30 liquid fuel engine. This improved rocket is designated the Halifax class D. Valentina has named the rocket the Enos* Three, honoring the first Kerbal to prove an airplane equipped with an autopilot is “so easy to fly a monkey could do it”. Achieving orbital flight will be a significant milestone for the space program. As all schoolkerbs know, suborbital flight is an important step, but orbital flight is what allows us to truly establish a permanent presence in space. As quoted from Bob.
    “If you can get your ship into orbit, you are halfway to anywhere.”**
l6CiyzS.png
    The countdown reaches zero and the rocket roars up for space. The rocket trail follows the rocket up, straight as an arrow, unlike many recent flights by Jebediah. As the roar dies away and the rocket disappears into space we switch over to telescope tracking. Valentina has staged the rocket and the Reliant engine is lifting the rocket the remaining distance to space. Now she is turning to circularize her orbit.
60Ubax4.png
    The rocket has shut down, we are currently waiting for official confirmation. And we have it! Multiple tracking stations report that Valentina has officially achieved orbit. Valentina continues to experience space for one full circle around the planet, then orients the rocket to burn back to Kerbin. 
img%5D
    Reentry of a rocket from space is much more energetic from a full orbit. In earlier discussions with Bob, the scientist assured me the MK1 command pod has a thermal capacity to reenter Kerbin’s atmosphere from distances as far away as Minmus.
JrWoNuv.png
    The command pod did hold up quite well against the increased heating of reentry. Valentina made a safe return from orbit, and commemorated the event with a flag. On her return to the Kerbal Space Center, this reporter asked Valentina about her experience in orbit. During our discussions she provided the following quote.
    “The stars don’t look bigger,” said Valentina. “But they do look brighter.”***

* Enos, for better or worse the first “American” to orbit in space. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enos_(chimpanzee)
    **Attributed to Robert Heinlein. https://community.cadence.com/cadence_blogs_8/b/breakfast-bytes/posts/rocket-equation
    ***Quote by Sally Ride. https://www.space.com/16732-sally-ride-quotes-women-science.html

Valentina Chronicles - Day 85
        Wow, what a first flight! Flying experimental jets did not prepare me for the massive acceleration, and the roar going through the pod. What an experience! Even more, being up in space and looking down at Kerbin outside the window. Kerbin is so beautiful from space, the blues and greens and browns, and the edge of the planet curving away. I’m so glad I was picked to be a Kerbalnaut!
        Jeb warned me about the control issues with the rocket and he was right. The Thumper booster sent the rocket up, and that was all I could do with it. If any instability threw the rocket off course I’d never be able to save it. At least the Reliable engine gave me enough control to reach orbit. I’ve submitted a formal report on the control issues to Gene. Hopefully Bob and Bill can finish the work developing controllable flight surfaces to give us some low altitude control over these rockets.
        I need to keep getting simulator time. Flying rockets is so different from flying airplanes, all of my experience is telling me one thing, while the rocket is doing something else. I really need to work hard to get my flying instincts to work with rocket flight. I wish flying rockets for me was more like how Jeb seems to be such a natural. I just need to keep working at it!
Val.

Chapter 7
6FcRnQI.png
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today is a smaller step in the rocket program, but no less momentous. Jebediah will not travel higher, or faster than before, but he will see space in a whole new way, outside of his pod. Thanks to improvements by Bill’s and Bob’s team to add a vacuum rated hatch to the pod and space rated space suits, there is high confidence that Jebediah will now be perfectly safe to step away from his pod and travel through space protected only by his space suit.
yrpSkfb.png
    Jebediah is flying a Halifax class D, just like the one Valentina flew into orbit. The vehicle was chosen as it can provide more time in space to gather science as compared to a Halifax class C. Word has it that Jebediah is calling the spacecraft the Kerbin Sparrow, but the space program rejected naming ships after the previous mission.* The upper stage of the rocket has reached space and the engine has shut down. We now await seeing Jebediah begin his space walk.
xRs0DDP.png
    And there he is! We can see Jebediah outside of his pod and floating in space. This is an important event for the future of the space program. Providing the ability for Kerbalnauts to perform experiments and external repairs. Wait, we are hearing a transmission from Jebediah.
    "As I gaze down on Kerbin filling my view, I see for the first time how beautiful our planet is.” Jebediah’s voice flowed from the radio. “Kerbalkind, let us preserve and increase this beauty, and not destroy it!"**
    Profound thoughts.

*NASA didn’t like the Molly Brown name of Gemini 3 so did not allow the naming of Gemini 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_4
    **A mangled quotation of Yuri Gagarin. https://todayinsci.com/G/Gagarin_Yuri/GagarinYuri-Quotations.htm

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 113
        So that was our orbital rocket. Val was right, it was a very stable ride to the upper atmosphere where I could make a late gravity turn with the liquid fuel engine. Not the most efficient flight path but we have a good enough base rocket to improve on to be able to reach the Mun. Thank Eve for Valentina, and Gene for finding her. Her report on the rocket control issues was direct and went straight to the heart of the problems. Bill and Bob may not have been able to supply an immediate fix, but Bob confided in me that finding the science to fix the control issues is near the top of his priority list.
        While the flight was not much different, walking in space sure was. No feeling of wind on my face, no solid ground beneath me, not even strapped into a cockpit, just Kerbin far below and the stars far above. This truly felt of being in space. I wasn’t flying on wings and looking down on Kerbin. I was there with nothing more than a spacesuit, looking down on the planet and up at the stars. I’m just one little Kerbal in this vast cosmos. I need to stay strong and keep flying so we can at least reach out and touch our small piece of it.
    - Jeb.

Chapter 8
Part 1
zcbW4uZ.png
k2TGIk9.png
    “Hello, I invited all of you to discuss our next mission, “ said Bob. Mortimer, Bobak, Gene, Jeb, Bob, Bill and Valentina were gathered in mission control. “Gene, Jeb and Val have run through many simulations. We can get to the Mun and beyond with the technology we have, but our current engines are inefficient. If we move forward with the contract to fly by the Mun now, we would waste fuel doing it.”
    “OK Bob, but the Mun contract is a major one,” said Gene. “It pays very well and just seems like the next logical step to progress the space program.”
    “Jeb and Bill think the same thing,” said Bob. “But I have a different suggestion. This is the LV-909,” Bob pulled up a schematic of a rocket engine on a computer monitor. “Wernher came up with the design while analyzing some scrap from Jeb’s junkyard. It is more efficient than anything we currently have.”
    “The “Terrier” hunh?” Gene looked closely at the schematic. “Looks like we could scrap everything else in favor of this engine.”
    “Unfortunately that is not quite true,” Bob pointed out the atmospheric performance of the engine. “The LV-909 operates poorly unless the engine is in a vacuum, and the thrust is poor against Kerbin’s gravity. It would not even lift an FL-T400 tank off the ground. However, if we lift the engine to space stacked on a booster, LV-T30, or combination of those, the efficiency is better than anything else we have for use in space.”
    “I like your reasoning,” Gene smiled. “Use each piece of equipment where it is most efficient. So why don’t we build a rocket using this now?”
    “Wernher understands the theory of the LV-909,” Bob shook his head. “We do not have the science yet for Bill to be able to construct it. On top of this, our MK1 command pod does not have the battery power for a trip anywhere near the Mun.”
    “Yeah,” said Jebediah. “I’ve run out of power just doing science in suborbital flight.”
    “If we gather additional science,” said Bob. “We can develop extra batteries and fuel cells, along with the research needed for constructing the LV-909.”
    “How much science do we need?” asked Gene.
    “I have a plan for that,” Bob opened up a map of Kerbin, with several locations marked. “If we travel to the Grasslands, Highlands and Mountains, followed by the Ice Cap, and finally a flight to high space above Kerbin, we can gather the science needed. We could even land a couple of rockets nearby to pick up science with new experiments almost for free.”
    “Almost free, but still costs money,” said Gene as he examined the map. “Mort, do we have the budget to gather this science before we start the contract to fly by the Mun?”
    “Budget for launches we have no contracts for?” Mortimer asked incredulously. “That is just losing money!”
    “Just look at all the fuel we would waste if we fly to the Mun now!” exclaimed Bob.
    “But we would still make a profit!” snapped back Mortimer.
    “Think of it this way Mort,” said Gene calmingly. “Sometimes spending money up front saves more money in the long run. Do we have money in the budget for that?”
    “Erm,” Mortimer looked doubtful. “I suppose we have enough money in the budget to gather this science and then launch the Mun mission. You really think this will cost less money in the long run?”
    “Absolutely!”, exclaimed Bob.
    “Fine,” said Mortimer. “You can have the money, but I’m holding you to the long term savings.”
    “Not going to be an issue,” Bob turned to Jebediah and Valentina. “So you have a number of quick science gathering missions to perform.
    “Maybe not just Jeb and Val,” said Gene thoughtfully. “We have some proven launch platforms for short distance trips. Reaching the appropriate biomes does not require precision flying, so I think you and Bill should run a couple of those nearby science missions you mentioned. This will give you some experience with flying rockets.”
    “Cool!” exclaimed Bill while Bob gulped.

Chapter 8
Part 2

ANSr9VW.png
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today the space program reaches for new records. Over the past three months the program has been in a science gathering operation, contributing to the research of new equipment. Jebediah, Valentina, and even Bill and Bob headed to far corners of Kerbin in search of experimental results.
WdZSlwM.png
Bob Chronicles - Day 155
    This was a huge mistake. I am not a pilot, I do not fly on rockets or airplanes. No matter how well we understand the science, engineers make mistakes and machines will fail. Never again, I DO NOT fly on rockets.
Bob

f0UJYlF.png
Bill Chronicles - Day 169
    Yeehaw! What a rush! This was just a short rocket flight to pick up a little science but who knew flying on a rocket would be so intense! The roar of the propellant firing out the booster to push the rocket forward, the vibrations you can feel through your whole body. Seeing the numbers and actually experiencing a machine in action are two completely different things. I’m hooked!
Bill

McK1Lwr.png
Valentina Chronicles - Day 183
    This seems like a kind of irony, here I am sitting in a command pod in the desert, waiting for pickup. When Gene brought me into the space program he told me I would go to places I’ve never been before, the Mun, Minmus, maybe even other planets. I’ve never been to the desert before, so yeah, the space program brought me somewhere new. Maybe the desert is good practice for the desolation they say is on the surface of the Mun. Sand here, dust expected on the Mun. Well I can’t say the space program doesn’t stay interesting.
Val

DyQPCe9.png
Jebediah Chronicles - Day 197
    I am back on the ground after flying to high space over Kerbin. I could spacewalk every day. The peace and quiet with Kerbin and the stars floating around me. Still, what can we learn from high orbit that we did not learn from low orbit? Plenty of science data gathered from high orbit, hopefully the scientists discover something new from this data. Being up there feels one step closer to the Mun. Hopefully soon.
Jeb

The efforts of our Kerbalnauts yielded 54.1 units of science for research projects. The research included some interesting color patterns from the materials study. The program was also able to complete contracts to gather science from space around Kerbin at multiple locations, test an RT-10 at the launch site, and test a TD-12 decoupler at the launch site.
    Additionally Lizfal Kerman was brought in from the Kerbin Institute of Technology. She is an undergraduate at the KIT currently studying aerospace engineering and advanced orbital mechanics, and may join the space program when she graduates, but for now will assist Bob with ground testing.*  Currently she is helping with testing the suitability of the MK1 Command Pod for a trip to Minmus and back by being locked into the pod for the length of a simulated trip. Lizfal is very enthusiastic about the experiment.
cb7SKUe.png
    “This is amazing,” Lizfal told me in an interview. “I get to be in an actual MK1 command pod just like a real Kerbalnaut! They even installed the Human Space Program so I can practice flying just like a real mission!”

After five days of simulated spaceflight confined to the command pod, the stress of isolation inside of an unpressurized capsule began to show.
oZe0Xs5.png
    “Heh,” Lizfal said over the radio. “I just crashed into Minmus for the third time. Can I get out of this spacesuit?”
    “Not until we end the simulation,” said Bob over the radio. “We depressurized the command pod so it is just like a real mission.”
    “I’ve had an itch in the middle of my back for days now,” complained Lizfal.

As the simulation closed in on ten days, it started becoming clear that the MK1 command pod was not the best choice for a long term mission.
HGJj94u.png
    “Hey Bob! Did you know there are space squid out here?” asked Lizfal over the radio. “If they get to your spaceship they will tear it into tiny little pieces!”
    Bob glanced at Bill. “We did not put any “space squid” in the simulation, did we?” asked Bob.
    “No,” said Bill. “HSP replicates real life spaceflight as accurately as we can model it, with some simplified physics models so it can run on the MK1 pod’s computer.”
    “And aliens flying disk shaped spaceships!” said Lizfal. “The aliens fight with the space squids!”
    “No alien disks either,” said Bill.
    Bob just shook his head.

After the full fifteen day simulation of a flight to Minmus and back, it was very clear that Kerbalnauts would not be able to make the trip in a MK1 Command Pod, while operating at the peak efficiency required for spaceflight.
QCRyu7X.png
    The capsule was repressurized and Lizfal was pulled out of the rocket. She was singing to herself as she was rolled away.
    “And I think it's gonna be a long, long time,” sang Lizfal.
    “'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find,
    “I'm not the girl they think I am at home,
    “Oh, no, no, no,
    “I'm a rocket girl,
    “Rocket girl,
    “Burning out her fuse up here alone”**
    “We have dealt with this sort of thing before,” said Bob. “Jeb recovered from a similar state after setting the record for the longest duration flight.*** He kept singing something about a Major Tom.IV Odd since there were no Major Toms in the test pilot core.”
    “And I think it's gonna be a long, long time,” Lizfal continued singing.

After months of science gathering, a new rocket engine was developed, the LV-909. Bob reported that he used studies as to why the mystery goo felt right at home in space high over Kerbin to build a rocket engine that works well in the same conditions. Additional developments include new fuel cells and batteries for the spacecraft. Bob has carefully described atmospheric Isp and vacuum Isp to me. What I have come to learn is that the new LV-909 does not work on the ground, like the mystery goo, the LV-909 is at home in space. As a result, testing was performed on a live rocket using a tried and true initial stage booster to lift the LV-909 to its test altitude.
wHkiLaZ.png
    Before the test this reporter asked Valentina about the odd shape of the rocket.
    “We have a couple of contracts to complete on this mission,” explained Valentina. “The Periapsis Rocket Supplies Co is looking to test the Terrier and MK16 Parachute in flight. The target velocities are below terminal velocity for the specified altitudes, as well as being lower than the speed the booster will achieve by the specified altitude. So we are launching the Terrier with a Hammer booster, coasting back down to the target altitude using the inverted stabilizers to maintain orientation and provide some drag, then finally igniting the Terrier to achieve the target velocity at the target altitude.”
    The test proved to be some fancy flying indeed. As the test rocket ascended it began to tumble until it moved above the atmosphere. At this point it stabilized and began its descent back to Kerbin with the LV-909 pointed at the ground.
MuYaLx1.png
    Thanks to Valentina’s excellent flying skills, the tests of both the LV-909 and the MK16 parachute were a complete success. All of the target goals were achieved.
3nmRVZV.png
    Valentina had to gather her wits on touching down, her balance a little shaken up over the tumbling of the rocket. Additionally the sight that greeted her when she stepped out of the spacecraft was further disorienting.
hNs1dhA.png
    It seemed the LV-909 was made of stronger stuff than expected, surviving the impact with Kerbin. This was a most fortuitous event as the test engine could be recovered and further analyzed by Bill and Bob, hopefully leading to further improvements of the engine.

Valentina Chronicles - Day 211
    OK, who’s bright idea was this test rocket? Sure it met all of the contract criteria and completed the job, but we don’t yet have active flight controls. We didn’t try flying unstable airplanes until we had fully worked out the fly by wire control for these aircraft, of course this rocket was destined to start tumbling out of control. I’m writing a strongly worded letter about this test rocket design!
    At least my experience with unstable aircraft worked well for recovering this rocket. Just make sure it continued flying upward until the air was thin enough to recover from the tumbling. Once the booster was jettisoned the rocket descended exactly as planned. Better I was flying this mission than Jeb I suppose. He should have a very smooth flight with the terrier on a proper rocket, it is a good engine.
    - Val

We will continue this article in the next issue.

* OK I’m slightly cheating here. I hired Lizfal and paid myself back by editing the persistence file. For the moment she will not go on any actual flights, I may “hire” her by taking the money back out of the persistence file when she “graduates” in three years.

** Elton John - Rocket Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtVBCG6ThDk

*** Flight endurance record, over 64 days. https://simpleflying.com/robert-timm-john-cook-endurace-record-cessna-172/.

IV David Bowie - Space Oddity. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo

Edited by Drethon

This mission report has me hooked! I really enjoy the storytelling and dialogue from the Kerbonauts.

On 8/12/2024 at 4:52 AM, Drethon said:

I may also disable radiation storms if they are too much of a problem in deep space. I’ve read horror stories about it, but haven’t gotten to trying it yet myself.

Also, what did you mean about "horror stories" involving the Kerbalism CME mechanic? I play on a Kerbalism save and I want to know before I do anything beyond Kerbin.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have disabled CMEs a few chapters further on.  Early they are not horrible, and low Kerbin orbit blocks them, but later on I was running into as much as a CME every week or two (IIRC) and two CMEs appear to be enough to end a Kerbal.  There are supposed to be methods to orient a rocket to block CMEs, but when I have three populated stations and two rockets in transit I cant figure out how to shield everyone. I just don't want to go purely probe operation (not sure I'd get enough science to start mining anyway), though I have a couple story points of probes losing comms in a CME.  When I can use radiation healing habs I plan to bring CMEs back, though maybe reduced.

Honestly I got kerbalism for life support but liked the additional challenge of the other features.  I studied some on the radiation, but maybe not enough on CMEs to really understand them.  Ultimately I'm willing to adjust some parameters where I feel it benefits the story.

Edited by Drethon

My apologies, I split up Chapter 8 Part 2, but mistakenly moved all of the references to Part 3.  The previous Chapter 8 Part 2 has been updated to include the references at the end of the post.

Chapter 8
Part 3
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. With the successful test of the LV-909 a new rocket has been assembled. A first stage with an LV-T30 boosted by two RT-5 solid fuel boosters to get the rocket off the ground. Once the rocket has reached a high altitude, nearing vacuum, the LV-909 takes over. It is expected that this rocket will have sufficient range to fly past the Mun and back for the first time. To ensure the safety of the pilot a fuel cell is included, providing enough electricity for the entire trip. Additionally a Science Jr has been included for the first spaceflight to perform materials studies in the orbit of the Mun. This rocket is the first of the Arethusa family of rockets, designated the Arethusa class A. The Arethusa rockets are intended for operation within the Kerbin sphere of influence, beyond low Kerbin orbit.
6o1vaZd.png
    Having completed preparations, Jebediah boards the rocket, named the gumdrop*, and the countdown begins. Jebediah tells me he has had extensive training, working with Valentina, to learn to properly use the LV-909 with its thrust vectoring capabilities. The preparations of the larger Mun rocket took longer than previous launches, providing me an opportunity to talk with Jebediah.
    Jebediah, what are you feeling as you prepare to launch for the Mun?
    “It is interesting being up here,” reported Jebediah. “I am quite a way up just sitting here with this large rocket below me. It feels kind of like being on a ship at sea, the rocket twisting and creaking below almost like gentle waves.”**
    Are you worried about lifting off in a rocket large enough to fly by the Mun?
    “No, I’m feeling more calm than I expected,” said Jebediah. “We have simulated this extensively and this mission is very much like what I flew for the spacewalk, just with one extra stage to reach the Mun.”
    There you have it folks, our brave Kerbalnaut is highly confident in his mission.
xPUxy7o.png
    Finally the countdown reaches zero and Jebediah lifts off for the Mun. The largest rocket the current launch pad can support rises effortlessly up into space.
qjwPESV.png
    The first stage burns out with the rocket nearing the edge of the atmosphere, as the first stage falls away, the second stage accelerates Jebediah onward toward the Mun. I am told the tracking capabilities of the space center are fairly limited at this point, unable to provide direct guidance to an intercept vector with the Mun. To properly reach the Mun, Gene tells me Jebediah was launched when the Mun was, “Up around that direction”. The transfer burn completes and Jebediah is now off to be the first to see the mun up close. It will take a day for Jebediah to reach the Mun. We will report more on the mission when Jebediah reaches the Mun’s sphere of influence.
    In the meantime, Lizfal has reported in for another experiment. This time the KV-1 'Onion' Reentry Module is being tested to see if a Kerballed mission to Minmus in this pod would be appropriate. The KV-1 is a pressurized pod, unlike the MK1 command pod. The hope is that being able to move around the full pod, unencumbered by a space suit, will be a more comfortable operating environment for long range missions. I had an opportunity to talk with Lizfal before she entered the pod.
    How do you feel after your previous long simulation experiment Lizfal?
    “I’m doing great Walter!” gushed Lizfal. “Bob’s team helped me recognize how my mind came up with people and things to interact with to make up for my inability to do anything beyond sitting on the chair and flying sims. They helped me recognize reality again and know when I am falling into fantasies. I feel like I understand my mind better than before.”
    So you have no concerns about another long simulation confined in a pod?
    “None at all,” beamed Lizfal. “I think I could handle another fifteen days in a MK1 pod, but I get to be the first to try out an Onion, which is almost as big as my apartment back at the university! I just need to make sure I avoid the kraken… er keep focused while flying the simulations.”
hhuMmAA.png
    Lizfal is locked into the new KV-1 pod to begin her new simulation run.

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 225
    It is very quiet in the command pod, the rushing sound of the Terrier silenced as the rocket coasts toward the Mun, even the radio is quiet right now. A good time to reflect and gather thoughts.
    Bill and Bob are still working on proper flight controls. This fight and maybe one more should provide enough data to figure out the fly by wire controls for a rocket. I’m getting pretty comfortable with this flight path of keep going up until the air is thin enough to make a late gravity turn, but it will be nice to have a more efficient flight path. We will want to be as efficient as possible to keep our fuel usage to a minimum.
    Kerbin continues to shrink as the Mun grows closer. I’ve never been this far from Kerbin. Of course no Kerbal has. In every test flight I’ve ever flown there were always emergency services around that could come for me. They saved my life a couple times, though they were too late for other Kerbals. Right now I’m beyond any rescue, I need to trust in my ship and my skills to get back. At least this is a pretty simple flight, loop around the Mun and head back to Kerbin Just a small burn for proper reentry. Too bad there isn’t room in this pod for some company.
    - Jeb

* Apollo 9’s capsule was named “gumdrop” because of the capsule’s appearance in blue protective wrapping. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_9
** From John Glenn’s thoughts waiting on the Mercury rocket to launch into orbit in The Right Stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Right_Stuff_(book)

Chapter 8 Part 4
    This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today will be a fairly brief report as Jebediah Kerman travels around the Mun, further than any Kerbal has ever traveled. Just before radio contact was lost while the rocket started to loop around the back side of the Mun, a last communication was heard from Jebediah.
    “We'll see you on the other side.”*
    The tension was palpable at mission control. With little to do but wait for Jebediah to contact us once again, many in mission control seemed to fill the time with busy work. One member of mission control was asked about the tension and quoted as saying.
    “You’ve got this big mystery going on there on the backside of the Mun. You do not know what’s happening and there’s not a darn thing anybody here can do about it until we hear from them.”**
Finally the rocket finished looping around the far side of the Mun and regained contact with Kerbin. As contact was regained, singing could be heard over the radio.
    “I was scanning through the skies,
    “And missed the static in your eyes,
    “Something blocking your reception,
    “It's distorting our connection…”***
    Bobak interrupted the singing, asking, “Jebediah, can you describe what you see?”
t9JWITY.png
    “A vast, lonely, forbidding expanse of nothing,”IV was Jebediah’s brief statement before going into a deep scientific discussion with Bob.
    As night fell over the Kerbin Space Center, Jebediah sent one last message as his rocket continued on the flight toward home.
CAYJLHs.png
    “From the crew of the Gumdrop, we close with goodnight, good luck, merry holidays, and Kerbol’s blessings on all of you, all of you on the good Kerbin.”IV

* Quote from Jim Lovell. https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/space-missions/apollo-8-50-years-on
    ** Quote from Frances "Poppy" Northcutt. https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/NorthcuttFM/NorthcuttFM_11-14-18.htm
    *** Starset Frequency. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA8-GGqwSDs. Also based on reports from Apollo 10 about strange outer space music coming through the radio while on the back side of the moon https://www.space.com/32007-alien-moon-music-apollo-10-explained.html.
    IV Quotes from Fred Borman. Maybe slightly mangled. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/frank_borman_116968 https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/eyewitness/html.php?section=25

Jebediah Chronicles - Day 226
    Time passes slowly in the quiet solitude of the rocket. Between communications with mission control I have time to watch the Mun and think as the rocket travels past. The Mun is clearly a hostile bleak surface that will not easily host Kerbals on its surface. Yet underneath the surface there is likely vast, untapped resources that can provide the fuel that Kerbals need to continue the age of flight, and now the space age. This contrast of what the Mun will take and what the Mun will give is very stark. Yet off in the distance, and growing closer, Kerbin shines welcomingly for my return. However far we get from Kerbin, we need to ensure we protect our home so it will always be there to return to.
    Not sure about the music I heard while traveling around the far side of the Mun. Was very interesting and spacy music. Though people would think I was crazy if I told them about it.
    - Jeb

Chapter 8 Part 5

This is Walter Kerman reporting. Having successfully completed a flyby of the Mun, Jebediah has corrected his trajectory for a return to Kerbin and is expected to enter the atmosphere shortly. In some ways the return from space is becoming a regular occurrence. However we should remember this is not just another return from space, Jebediah is returning with science data from his flyby of the Mun. Data that could provide improvements allowing the space program to travel even deeper into the Kerbol system!
QnzesrV.png
    Our telescopes are picking up Jebediah’s ship reentering the atmosphere. The plasma field trailing his ship brighter than ever with the speed of a return from the Mun. Now his spacecraft has slowed into the heavier atmosphere, until the speed is low enough we see the parachutes deploy and set Jebediah’s pod gently to the ground. Coincidentally Jebediah’s landing is occurring during a Munar eclipse, darkening pictures of the event, but providing a very unique photo opportunity.
emrgxv9.png
    It is good to see Jebediah safely on the ground after this historic mission. He is provided the sight of the total Munar eclipse as the recovery vehicle makes its way to his pod.

We are already receiving reports of World Firsts records officially being documented, Speed Record of greater than 2500m/s, first flyby, escape and return from the Mun with scientific data. A contract completed for World Firsts to fly by the Mun. 55.8 units of science, including an odd steady radiation pulse on the dark side of the Mun, and a temperature scan not working very well in vacuum. Finally a report from insiders at the KSC that an upgrade of the launch pad is already being started, using the funds from the completed contracts of the previous mission. This reporter looks forward to finding out what other improvements to the space program come out of the data from this mission and reporting to all of you viewers.

YQqxvE0.png
    Jebediah Chronicles - Day 227
        Back to Kerbin and a completely successful mission. Almost no drama during this mission, everything went pretty much as planned. Woo, what a party at the space center on my return though! Everyone was excited about the science returned from the first observations of the backside of the Mun. Bill and Bob, of course, were drooling over the science data and spent most of the party sketching out plans for new equipment. Maybe the space program has turned a corner and things will go smoothly from now on?
    - Jeb

Chapter 9 Part 1

klLoQNO.png
    Jebediah arrived at mission control with quite the hangover, but it was worth it after the epic party the night before. Oddly, mission control was completely empty, everyone else must be sleeping off hangovers, though Gene showed up before long and began working at his station.
    “Gene, the software is complete!” Bob exclaimed as he and Bill rushed into mission control.
    “Which software is this you are referring to?” asked Gene.
    “The first generation MechJeb software!” Bob was rather breathless. “We captured enough from Jebediah’s and Valentina’s flying that we could properly train the software.”
    “Does this mean we now have fully automated rocket flight?” Gene looked excited.
    “Well, not completely,” responded Bob. “We are still working on full automation but the MechJeb can perform attitude control of a rocket. It will not be able to keep a badly unbalanced rocket from going out of control, but can keep a slightly unstable rocket on the target heading almost as well as Jeb can.”
    “Hmm, so pilots just need to know the mission profile, not how to handle the rocket,” Gene mused. “We could fly missions with less experienced pilots.”
    “Exactly,” said Bob. “This reduces the amount of simulation time required before a pilot can fly a rocket. We could put Bill in a rocket right now and he could orbit around the Mun almost as well as Jeb could.”
    “Good work Bob!” Gene smiled. “I need to take a look at the launch schedule to see how we might use this.”

42 minutes ago, Drethon said:

Chapter 9 Part 1

klLoQNO.png
    Jebediah arrived at mission control with quite the hangover, but it was worth it after the epic party the night before. Oddly, mission control was completely empty, everyone else must be sleeping off hangovers, though Gene showed up before long and began working at his station.
    “Gene, the software is complete!” Bob exclaimed as he and Bill rushed into mission control.
    “Which software is this you are referring to?” asked Gene.
    “The first generation MechJeb software!” Bob was rather breathless. “We captured enough from Jebediah’s and Valentina’s flying that we could properly train the software.”
    “Does this mean we now have fully automated rocket flight?” Gene looked excited.
    “Well, not completely,” responded Bob. “We are still working on full automation but the MechJeb can perform attitude control of a rocket. It will not be able to keep a badly unbalanced rocket from going out of control, but can keep a slightly unstable rocket on the target heading almost as well as Jeb can.”
    “Hmm, so pilots just need to know the mission profile, not how to handle the rocket,” Gene mused. “We could fly missions with less experienced pilots.”
    “Exactly,” said Bob. “This reduces the amount of simulation time required before a pilot can fly a rocket. We could put Bill in a rocket right now and he could orbit around the Mun almost as well as Jeb could.”
    “Good work Bob!” Gene smiled. “I need to take a look at the launch schedule to see how we might use this.”

I really like this adaptation of the mod into the story. Really good report so far!

21 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Congratulations on your successes. :)

1 hour ago, Kerbalsaurus said:

I really like this adaptation of the mod into the story. Really good report so far!

Thanks Vanamonde and Kerbalsaurus.  Yeah, I'm trying to make this not just a story about Kerbals in space, but also a story about the features and idiosyncrasies of KSP in general.

Chapter 9 Part 2

QFODRso.png

Jebediah arrived at mission control to the sounds of panicked screaming.
    “I’m a scientist!” shouted the voice. “I design rocket parts, I don’t fly in rockets!”
    “Yes, you are a scientist,” said a calmer voice. “Scientists are needed to analyze and bring back science from missions. We can get more out of the science if we analyze it as it is being gathered.”
    “But I know what little Bill does to test these rockets!” as Jebediah approached he could see Bob was the one screaming. He was not surprised. “He doesn’t test all possible input combinations!”
    “We have flown every part of this rocket before,” said Gene, pointing to a video of a rocket on the pad. “It all works.”

wT2VASp.png

“We have not exhaustively tested any of the rocket parts,” Bob crossed his arms. “Until we can conclusively prove every part will not fail, or has sufficient redundancy, I am staying on the ground.”
    “Where is Bob going?” asked Jebediah.
    “Nowhere,” piped up Bob.
    “Jeb, if you arrived on time in the morning you would not miss things,” Gene glanced at Jebediah. “We need to send a scientist up on a mission to optimize science gathering. We just received the contract to orbit the Mun, and the upgraded MechJeb means even a scientist can orbit the Mun.”
    “So find a scientist that is not me,” said Bob.
    “You are the only scientist qualified as an astronaut,” said Gene.
    “You will have to tie me to the launch seat to get me in that rocket,” responded Bob.
    “Hmm,” Gene looked thoughtful. “Bobak, send someone out to the pad.”
    “Wait!” exclaimed Bob. “What are you doing?!”

This is Walter Kerman reporting. Today a Kerbal heads back to the Mun. I am told the plans are to orbit the Mun to fully map it and document future landing sights. Some chatter from individuals inside of the program say a new Kerbalnaut will be commanding this mission.

a5fQroF.png

Wait, there seems to be some commotion from mission control. A group of Kerbals is heading in the direction of the launch pad. I believe I see Gene, and Jebediah, Valentina and Bill. Odd, usually with this group I also see… wait… they appear to be carrying Bob in a chair. The group has arrived at the rocket and is ascending to the command pod.

j9L5H0P.png

They seem to be bolting Bob and his chair into the command pod and closing the hatch. The group is heading back to mission control and the countdown has begun. Very curious.

Mrereiv.png

And there he goes, Bob is bound for the Mun. It must be a very exciting chance for Bob to see the stars first hand! Hopefully we will have a chance to interview him while he is orbiting the Mun

RumJlvD.png

Bob Chronicles - Day 239
        They actually did it! I cannot believe they actually did it! They unbolted the chair from the command pod, tied me to the chair and bolted it back down! I do not know how Bill did it but the ropes came loose as soon as the trans-munar injection burn completed, too late to come home without going by the Mun now.
        I swear, when I get home there will be Moho to pay. The lead scientist in the project should have seniority over the mission commander when it comes to science missions. I am going to make sure they have to listen to me from now on or I quit this program.
    - Bob

Edited by Drethon