A neat upcoming alternative to KSP 2

RUD Everyday

Let me get this straight. Spaceflight Simulator was released into Early Access in February 2022. Spaceflight Simulator is still in Early Access, and they're also announcing that a sequel (Spaceflight Simulator 2) is currently being developed (presumably to launch into Early Access). Do I have that right?

Why is a sequel necessary? They haven't even completed the first title. Seems like yet another cash grab, and extremely exploitative given the current gaming landscape.

Edited by para 9

The last update to the first game was June 2023 -- over a year ago. It is abandonware Early Access. I thought you said these devs were like the old Squad. 

Color me skeptical. 

20 hours ago, para 9 said:

The last update to the first game was June 2023 -- over a year ago. It is abandonware Early Access. I thought you said these devs were like the old Squad. 

Color me skeptical. 

Well they did say on their website (currently not working) that they continue to work on version 1. Of course we're quite cynical about such promises. I suspect that the demise of KSP2 accelerated their plan to release a 3D sequel to the game.

Their first version breathes a lot of similarity with Simple Rockets. But where Juno (Simple Rockets 2) took a path clearly diverging from KSP in many ways, I suspect that these guys go for something as close as possible without infringing copyright or trademark restrictions (just look at the launchpad). If they deliver the goods it's likely to be a hit.