Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

but My PC was dying from the part counts (lots of solar panels).

I made similar things - though I wound up making 'custom' solar panels.. make a copy of the default panel, rename it and just re-adjust the rescale factor, mass, etc and you can have 'big' fixed solar panels to keep part count down.. just make sure you scale the other values accordingly - I don't remember whether the actual power output automatically scales thanks to the larger surface area, but bear in mind that rescale factor is really just one dimension - in practice a panel with twice the rescalefactor should be generating 4x the power (2^2 for a 2D surface) but weigh 8x as much (2^3 for a 3D object)

I've been mucking about with a stunt plane I built. Standard old-school biplane, though I'm using the electric engine instead of the gas one (gotta have a challenge. That, and there's no 1/2 size fuel tanks, and it doesn't look right with a full size one). Little bit of part clipping involved, but only cause I hate the look of the vanilla batteries and RTG's. I'll have a run later and see if I can build one that doesn't look bad with the full-size fuel tank.

Snjo, not one person wants to see the rotor more than the Russian bear...when?

Well, I need to do some modelling now, but the functionality is pretty much in place.

You can try this ugly looking prototype

The hover is especially smooth now. Gotta run, but if needed, I can explain the functionality later.

P.S. it still uses no fuel!

P.P.S. the tailrotor is hilariously bad in the model department, and has an awful attach point

P.P.P.S Where do the D.S.'s go now? after each P.S.? And is it D.D.S., and D.D.D.S here?

P.P.P.P.S Not FAR compatible AT ALL!

Just done it and having tons of fun. I kinda like the biplane parts. Any chance of any parts purely designed around stunt planes?

Look back through the thread. You can already duplicate just about any aircraft at this point with the existing set of parts.

I think its mostly for blimps and zeppelins. Just use reverse thrust on the regular props if you need a "pusher" aircraft and want the props to spin normally

And in other news, thanks to Firespitter, I have yet to orbit Kerbin in my current .23 career mode (custom more realistic tree)

(Big image snip)

Might I ask where you got the guns? I've been looking for reasonably-sized aircraft machine guns.

FLOATS destroyed at ~ 130m / s How to magnify this number?

That sounds about right, The water impact tolerance is 125 m/s.

To alter if, edit the part.cfg buoyancy module so it has this:

MODULE
{
name = FSbuoyancy
waterImpactTolerance = 150
}

...or some other number.

More variables can be found in the module documentation

And for a tiny progress report. You know how helicopters have that prop wash? Working on it!

I was wondering, why does the water launch system put me over the water, then teleports my plane to the runway and krackens it?

If you use the latest pre-release, there's a slider for the timer. A too low timer value means it might stop trying to move you before loading and prepping the game is done, which will send you back to the runway.

I'm having trouble creating a helicopter that doesn't crash when I activate the engine. How would I make one that works?

Make sure the center of thrust is above the center of mass, then tweak as needed. Crashing a fair bit is to be expected until you get the hang of it. Check the guide for as short explanation and image.

Awesome Prop Wash! I suggest you double the size of the affected area though.

As in the area before the dust picks up.

Oh, I know! Everything will change when I put it into the game, so there will be lots of tweaking.

Snjo, apologies if this has been asked before--how come so many of your parts are Module = Strut? That means they're massless and physicless, as far as I understand it...

No, no one has noticed that, including me :)

Each part is often an extension of an older part, and some of the old Squad parts were probably of the strut type for whatever reason.It doesn't actually control the physics though, that's another variable. There are big struts that have plenty of mass and drag.

I should go through and make sure as few of the parts as possible use non Part types. Code-wise, any change to the Part code will also affect inherited classes, so it's not a problem in most cases, but it might contain old extra crap.

That sounds about right, The water impact tolerance is 125 m/s.

To alter if, edit the part.cfg buoyancy module so it has this:

MODULE
{
name = FSbuoyancy
waterImpactTolerance = 150
}

...or some other number.

More variables can be found in the module documentation

And for a tiny progress report. You know how helicopters have that prop wash? Working on it!

http://youtu.be/7hLKdduFuAE

Thanks you!

New rotor - Very good! I like.

I have a strange problem I've never encountered prior to the 0.23 version. It's with the wheels on the floats/pontoons. I have plane with 2 floats, built in the SPH with 2x symmetry. When I activate steering for the float wheels, the wheels on the opposite sides of the plane turn in opposite directions. That is, they both turn inwards or they both turn outwards. This naturally makes them act more as brakes than directional control.

Any workaround? Thanks.

I have a strange problem I've never encountered prior to the 0.23 version. It's with the wheels on the floats/pontoons. I have plane with 2 floats, built in the SPH with 2x symmetry. When I activate steering for the float wheels, the wheels on the opposite sides of the plane turn in opposite directions. That is, they both turn inwards or they both turn outwards. This naturally makes them act more as brakes than directional control.

Any workaround? Thanks.

After building the float struts, try attaching the float wheels to your floats individually, without using symmetry. Since they align to attachment nodes it's only a minor inconvenience.

Not sure if that'll solve your problem, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.