RLA Stockalike v10 released 11th August

hoojiwana

This pack is absolutely amazing, I installed it earlier today and it makes small probes so much better. No more giant monstrosities, from now on less is more in my space program.

One thing I do miss is parachutes. As is there is only 1 probe sized chute and the stack attachment makes it a pain for ship design. Anyone knows if there is a mod that has some small chutes?

One thing I do miss is parachutes. As is there is only 1 probe sized chute and the stack attachment makes it a pain for ship design. Anyone knows if there is a mod that has some small chutes?

NovaPunch has a small side-mounted parachute. Other than that, there aren't really many parachute mods around.

I happen on this thread mostly by accident, and then noticed the "Stockalike" in the title.

I said, well ok lets see whats going on. "Oh man theres lots of parts going on in here, i cant be bothered to pick ..

..Hmm well he has them in groups, thats handy ... well i need most of that pack.. wait.. i need that one to. .. thats interesting as well ..wait...."

A few minutes later and everything is waiting to get unzipped and installed :P

(only reason they are waiting is because im half asleep, or should i say 1/6th of a stock awaken man? :D )

Big thanks for these, i always wanted some stockalike parts (especially in those areas you happen to offer) to fill my personal gaps in some of my crafts.

The new structural parts are really, really nice for putting a whole lot of engines onto a first stage. Great for trying to make stuff that's a bit more...Russian.

Though, I think I need more engines...

Edited by Nutter

Errr...seriously? That's pretty much completely missing the point of the things.

The Nerva is a nerva and, as a result, it has the second best ISP of anything on standard tanks and due to its size, it generally has more delta-v than the best IPS engine on the stuff as well. Thrust is not what you get a NERVA for.

And as far as the aerospike is concerned, again, it has better ISP than most the stuff you can get but this one is made to not care about altitude differences. And the one non-nuclear engine with better efficiency is the stock aerospike, which has less thrust. Sure it has less thrust and more mass than the other engines and is, as such, not exactly what you'll usually want on a rocket but I'm guessing it does wonders on a spaceplane.

Now someone come kick me in the shins for all the mistakes I made and fix them for me. :P

Edited by Nutter

This pack is absolutely amazing, I installed it earlier today and it makes small probes so much better. No more giant monstrosities, from now on less is more in my space program.

FASA has a few parachutes, stackable drogue chute in there as well.

Errr...seriously? That's pretty much completely missing the point of the things.

The Nerva is a nerva and, as a result, it has the second best ISP of anything on standard tanks and due to its size, it generally has more delta-v than the best IPS engine on the stuff as well. Thrust is not what you get a NERVA for.

And as far as the aerospike is concerned, again, it has better ISP than most the stuff you can get but this one is made to not care about altitude differences. And the one non-nuclear engine with better efficiency is the stock aerospike, which has less thrust. Sure it has less thrust and more mass than the other engines and is, as such, not exactly what you'll usually want on a rocket but I'm guessing it does wonders on a spaceplane.

Now someone come kick me in the shins for all the mistakes I made and fix them for me. :P

I'm fairly sure he meant generating power as in electric charge. Not thrust :P

your mini nerva, as well as your aerospike
But I don't remember either original part generating power and aside from the T5, no .625 engine does it either so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

If you mean generating ElectricCharge then it's intended that only the LV-T5 creates any. That will change with the next update.

I am waiting VERY patiently for those New Engines of Yours ;) but take your time :D
Though, I think I need more engines...

New engines you say?

8YJpXq5.jpg

Great parts pack Hoojiwana.

Have you ever considered a 0.625m reaction wheel?

Something with maybe 2 to 3 units of torque.

I sometimes run into issues with turning my probes when they have large fuel tanks as the probe cores have very weak torque.

I usually rescale the stock one and edit its part file, but it seems like something that would fit your parts pack and is missing.

Do. Want.

I've been stuck rescaling AIES engines for my 0.625m stages and even so there aren't enough (I had to rescale a KW Wildcat!)

Looking forward to this very much.

(And loving all the rest of your Stockalikes, btw, in case that wasn't clear)

Tommygun: KSPX has them. They're a bit OP though.

eR1orBA.jpg

This will be the lineup of 0.625m rockets in the next Stockalike version, from left to right:

• Rockomax "Spinnaker" Liquid Engine - High TWR, Low ISP
  • Unnamed Liquid Engine - Mid TWR, Mid ISP
  • LV-T5 Liquid Engine - Low TWR, High ISP
  • LV-Nc Atomic Rocket Motor - Very low TWR, Very high ISP
  • MPR-5 Monopropellent Engine - Low TWR, uses Monopropellent

The Spinnaker needs a few texture adjustments to bring it up on par with the blue engine, so don't treat this preview as the final product! The LV-T5 will also have its stats adjusted, and its part name changed to RLA_s_lowengine (in a folder of the same name). That means that any craft that has the released version of the LV-T5 will likely end up with the blue engine clipped awkwardly into it or floating or something, this is easily fixed in the VAB/SPH but any launched craft may experience spontaneous disassembly. If you want to avoid this, I suggest backing up your save and altering the LV-T5 part name now so you can prepare your craft files for the switch.

Edited by hoojiwana

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.