Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

I have a quick question about the rover wheels, and I feel as if posting this here is more fitting than making a new thread.

How well do the wheels perform in ultra low gravity, specifically Gilly, because I want to know if my mobile mining platform will work there. Much appreciated for an answer.

I have a quick question about the rover wheels, and I feel as if posting this here is more fitting than making a new thread.

How well do the wheels perform in ultra low gravity, specifically Gilly, because I want to know if my mobile mining platform will work there. Much appreciated for an answer.

Not that well, they have low traction. One way to overcome this is adding some engines pointing vertically. Ion engines are one way to do this, if you can include enough power generation, or go with the tiny radial engines.

Not that well, they have low traction. One way to overcome this is adding some engines pointing vertically. Ion engines are one way to do this, if you can include enough power generation, or go with the tiny radial engines.

I have an example of this a few pages back.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24599-Post-your-Rover-MEGATHREAD?p=355467&viewfull=1#post355467

In short, downward pressure helps. Ions are good for long period of time but only add just enough to make the craft functional. Using a higher output thruster will perform great but only last a few minutes, but likely is the better option if you land near your destination and are only just driving a short distance there. RCS system is a great way to do any fast starts/stops/turns or just get out of a panic situation.

I'm looking forward to this update, having a proper seat will let me simplify and lighten up the isplore rover. :D

@TheAndrewTaco> I hadn't thought about RCS. I'll cheat my way up to the Mun with your design and see how well it performs. (I can land it, but, rather just test the designs via cheats, make sure it works, then do an official launch thing)

New, from Paradigm Industries (formerly Silverlight Solar Solutions), the JN-5 DunaBuggy! Isn't our marketing department so creative and witty?

6JITasxl.jpg

The JN-5 was originally built as a high-impact, long range terrestrial rover for scientific missions to Duna and beyond. However, when Jebediah spotted the drone in the proving grounds, he demanded that he be able to "Ride Johnny Five". So we slapped a few metal tubes, two foot pedals, and a pair of non-functional doohickeys on the top, and Jeb was none the wiser. :wink:

1Qa6unLl.jpg

Here's the JN-5 demonstrating its off-road capabilities. To the extreme. Dude.

vWyqY4Cl.jpg

Do not, under any circumstance, allow Jebediah to attempt turning the probe at over 20m/s. It's not pretty.

Now with 62% more craft file!

http://www./download/n51pe92gz87inrr/JN-5+DunaBuggy.craft

Edited by Varyon

I wanted to make a rover that looks more like the rover Apollo astronauts used on the Moon, or the one featured in the latest KSP trailer but all the parts seem way too large for this... :/

Because of this I tried to resize the new rover wheels and I got this:

EWiXN9Z.png

It looks nice, but it is very 'twitchy' while driving, and even when you turn on the brakes it keeps twitching in place... :(

I present the eXplorer MK II:

FB4BB5B3275DC885D53F4DE0C6C7621F46FD60CA

This unmanned Rover is the perfect vehicle to reliably explore foreign worlds without endangering Kerbals. It is very durable, extreemly hard to flip and has the ability to unflipp itself. The a frontal light, Thermonuklear Generators and large battery capacity allow short duration operation during night, while the solarpannels allow the eXplorer MK II to operate nonstop during daytime. The RCS System allows for short boosts in acceleration or deceleration. And it also comes equipped with the latest "Sience Stuff©".

New, from Paradigm Industries (formerly Silverlight Solar Solutions), the JN-5 DunaBuggy! Isn't our marketing department so creative and witty?

6JITasxl.jpg

The JN-5 was originally built as a high-impact, long range terrestrial rover for scientific missions to Duna and beyond. However, when Jebediah spotted the drone in the proving grounds, he demanded that he be able to "Ride Johnny Five". So we slapped a few metal tubes, two foot pedals, and a pair of non-functional doohickeys on the top, and Jeb was none the wiser. :wink:

1Qa6unLl.jpg

Here's the JN-5 demonstrating its off-road capabilities. To the extreme. Dude.

vWyqY4Cl.jpg

Do not, under any circumstance, allow Jebediah to attempt turning the probe at over 20m/s. It's not pretty.

Any chance you could share the craft file as this is the Spacecraft Exchange. Apologies if I sound a bit pretentious that was not the intended purpose.

I wanted to make a rover that looks more like the rover Apollo astronauts used on the Moon, or the one featured in the latest KSP trailer but all the parts seem way too large for this... :/

Because of this I tried to resize the new rover wheels and I got this:

EWiXN9Z.png

It looks nice, but it is very 'twitchy' while driving, and even when you turn on the brakes it keeps twitching in place... :(

Sweet go cart! :D

(PS, Kerbal Race/Cart Program needs to be a game :P )

Presenting the (Apollo-style) Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV)!

26Gfa6f.png

Bk30zDa.png

So I was inspired by the 0.20 trailer's Apollo-style moon buggy (which, btw, I really hope Squad either releases or releases the model for so a modder can create it in-game...), and decided to take a crack at it using stock parts, seeing as mod are a bit short right now. However the only wheels I could see working were Awaras' scaled down medium wheels so I just replicated that with a quick .cfg edit.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, managed to recreate the silhouette and most of the shapes nicely. The only things I don't like are that the umbrella can't unfold without looking ridiculous (so I keep it closed) and the wheels stick out much too far. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with it, as it looks quite a bit like the real thing. It's probably also small enough to attach to a LEM like in the later Apollo missions :)

.craft file

.cfg file for rover wheels (place this in your Parts folder)

Edited by TwiggyShip

While my first expeditions were with solar-powered rovers (as my crews were likely to land in sunlight anyway), I've since embraced the flexibility and reliability of nuclear power. Both of the rovers below are my latest designs, incorporating a completely safe RTG mounted just behind the pilot's seat.

rover1-1_zpsdb73af19.jpgrover1-2_zpsec3550b4.jpg

Here's my basic one-kerbonaut mini rover. Lean and light, it lacks the amenities of some larger and heavier rovers (lights, anti-flipping mechanisms) but can easily be attached to the side of a lander without throwing off its balance. Simply fire the probe-sized decoupler (not included; attach to the top of the probe core, pref. with the rear end/RTG pointing down), let it drop to the ground, and drive it away. Trials on Mun and Minmus have confirmed that it is capable of driving with one wheel disabled or entirely missing!

rover2-1_zpsb1b1e8aa.jpgrover2-2_zps742834bf.jpg

As it lacks wheels, this is not so much a rover as a sled. Built for environments with very low or microgravity ("zero gee"), it's intended to greatly extend the range and endurance of the kerbonaut's own jetpack. On small bodies like Minmus, it can carry the pilot much further and faster than a conventional rover which must struggle for traction.

rover2-3_zps9286bf0b.jpgrover2-4_zpsee9a20ef.jpg

Even with recent improvements, the RCS Sled still requires a skilled pilot with both hands free (one for the pitch and yaw controls, the other for the RCS quads). And while it allows for greater speeds and range, it also increases the possibility of mishap for a careless operator.

Craft files:

Mini Rover

RCS Sled

Edited by Commander Zoom

Presenting the (Apollo-style) Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV)!

So I was inspired by the 0.20 trailer's Apollo-style moon buggy (which, btw, I really hope Squad either releases or releases the model for so a modder can create it in-game...), and decided to take a crack at it using stock parts, seeing as mod are a bit short right now. However the only wheels I could see working were Awaras' scaled down medium wheels so I just replicated that with a quick .cfg edit.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out, managed to recreate the silhouette and most of the shapes nicely. The only things I don't like are that the umbrella can't unfold without looking ridiculous (so I keep it closed) and the wheels stick out much too far. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with it, as it looks quite a bit like the real thing. It's probably also small enough to attach to a LEM like in the later Apollo missions :)

Nice rover. Did you also have a problem with the wheels jittering in place? My rover refuses to keep still and constantly vibrates and makes tiny jerks, even with the brakes on. It seems to be something related to the new wheels since the stock ones do this as well but it is less noticable because they are larger...

These Vehicles are super awesome, but I'm In desperate need for a fast safe transport to save my kerbals in large numbers on Kerbin! Rookcole's could work but I'd need more seats, someone please I've been running towards KSC for the past 2 real life hours slowly I'm going INSANE. :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.