Post your Rover MEGATHREAD

HoY

I've been reading through the forum for about 2 weeks now and am amazed at the creativity of the user base here. For my very first forum post I thought I'd share my love for cars by designing and posting a mean, fun, but not-too-practical vehicle.

I give you, the Rat Rod!

6DD58103BD7C65D32A2DF9D2FDF3117157ACB55F

C5EEF319D596A24E6EFB530468604C8BDA706B6A

33686525A2F9601946CEB2EF4346A953B29A5D22

The rear wheels are turn locked and the fronts have power disabled to emulate a RWD roadster. If you like rock crawling, this is not the vehicle for you (although it can take a couple jumps before blowing the tires out)! Included for fun is LIVE ACTION EXHAUST (echo), just throttle up and hit the next stage!

I made an isplore variant using reaction wheel instead of RCS. It works well for attitude control when you catch air on mun! and does not run out of fuel obviously. But using RCS for speed boost and jump boost is too fun, going to add RCS back in as well. Stay tuned.

I was trying out the new KSC centre, and i wanted too jump around on all the new roads and landingpad.

What gave me an idear too see how far i could get with a Rover, well dunno if this is seen as a record, but i think its one Epic jump with a Rover..

I used a bit of TW at some point, or things would take ages, but you get an good impression i think..

Next challence for this one, as soon i figured out how too strap it on a Rocket, is how it will do on Minmus, trying to get this baby in a orbit :P

I've been reading through the forum for about 2 weeks now and am amazed at the creativity of the user base here. For my very first forum post I thought I'd share my love for cars by designing and posting a mean, fun, but not-too-practical vehicle.

I give you, the Rat Rod!

(images snipped)

The rear wheels are turn locked and the fronts have power disabled to emulate a RWD roadster. If you like rock crawling, this is not the vehicle for you (although it can take a couple jumps before blowing the tires out)! Included for fun is LIVE ACTION EXHAUST (echo), just throttle up and hit the next stage!

Wow, this is really cool...

Testing new version of isplore and a manned return lander.. the isplore5!

H5SkBay.png

o1Wh4id.png

getting there. there's nukes and also spikes that can be toggled on if high thrust is needed.

KQTivna.png

ITGE8QT.png

6dwNwli.png

like a glove!

SrfcrKr.png

just look at that 33mps grin! this thing handles like a dream up there.

daKOtWg.png

PKFjgfI.png

SNQzwrq.png

playing with the added pod torque, can flip itself without using the RCS!

Duwt9xI.png

8adK1PI.png

home

craft file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wai5fdxvzt9oxc2/isplore5%20lander%20stock.craft

I pulled MJ off so it's all stock there.

Edited by automcdonough

sh927mU.jpg

A common problem is that rovers flip to easily in low-G environments. People have also said that they run out of power too quickly to explore for long durations on the dark side of a planet or moon.

Enter the Leandros R-2. This is the second iteration of the Leandros Rover and is a very heavy duty exploration vehicle. It's built very wide so as to avoid flipping in most situations, but even if you do manage to flip it, we've got 8 Rockomax 24-77 engines to flip it back topside. They can fire on either the right or left side in case you find yourself in a difficult situation. Everything is rugged and incredibly protected, included the Kerbal drivers. If it flips, you won't have to worry about breaking anything like solar panel housings, lights, batteries, fuel tanks or anything else. All of the essential hardware required to operate the Leandros R-2 is protected by plating and girder segments.

The one downside is that you need fuel to be able to flip yourself back over. However, we've added a Clamp-O-Tron Jr. docking port to the top of the rover to enable refueling missions. (Refueling vehicle still in development stage).

The Leandros R-2 is a heavy duty rover built for serious explorers. All stock parts. Allows for 2 Kerbals.

Check out the full album here. http://imgur.com/a/RokBk#hwPbNvs

"I think It looks more like a Puma"

"What in sam hell is a Puma?"

"Ahh u mean like the shoe company?"

"No like a Puma. Its a big cat, like a Lion."

"You're making that up."

"No I'm telling u its a real animal"

Sorry, I can't see the word "puma" without recalling that all over again. XD

Back on-track: that is one epic rover right there! Totally need to check that out, especially after my Civik Type-K proved to be a little too rambunctious on the new Münar surface.

Here are 2 of my rovers I actually like:

nEwoKc0.jpg

dXflzYf.jpg

( Simple model, only stock parts. Too bad, I didn't make a shot from the top. Its actually a Tiny pickup truck, behind the cabin is a docking port jr facing upwards. )

Now this one I am proud of:

wH0I76E.jpg

aIIhVz5.jpg

aGuUL9G.jpg

lNlBpz7.jpg

This baby has a fully functioning Kethane Refinery, 2 heavy drills, 4 side facing cranes locking cargo on the top deck in a docking clamp jr. It can house 16 kerbals. Has a top speed of 15m/s ( controllable ) and I have done over 25 m/s but then steering locks, only thing to do then is smack the brake. Then this baby has 4 poodle engines so its VTOL capable, It has 4 Ion engines facing downwards in an effort to keep traction. And offcourse, deckchairs.

KSP+Trike.jpg

KSP Trike - Built using stock ,small stock parts,and modular wheels mods..Very fast runs on both quad mono and electric engines. Also has SRB's for one time use nitro with smaller seperatrons on the front fork to hold it to the ground when initiated.

KSP+Trike.jpg

KSP Trike - Built using stock ,small stock parts,and modular wheels mods..Very fast runs on both quad mono and electric engines. Also has SRB's for one time use nitro with smaller seperatrons on the front fork to hold it to the ground when initiated.

That is absolute art, I love it and hope it gets some more attention! (also give us more)

aIIhVz5.jpg

This baby has a fully functioning Kethane Refinery, 2 heavy drills, 4 side facing cranes locking cargo on the top deck in a docking clamp jr. It can house 16 kerbals. Has a top speed of 15m/s ( controllable ) and I have done over 25 m/s but then steering locks, only thing to do then is smack the brake. Then this baby has 4 poodle engines so its VTOL capable, It has 4 Ion engines facing downwards in an effort to keep traction. And offcourse, deckchairs.

That thing is a work of art. A massive mechanical work of resource-mining art.

Two questions: How much does it weigh and how did that behemoth make it off of kerbin?

Edited by Cypherwraith
Fixed picture link

Thanks Cypher, I take great pride in him .. I must admit im still driving him toward the "colony" .. its actually gonna take me a couple of days.

Heh, now to answer your questions .. Im not sure how much it weighs, ( only way to tell is with mechjeb right.? or do math.? I hate math .. I love trial and error though .. This is what got this baby to the moon..

DMFGcEK.jpg

QbjPq6j.jpg

8A9kC7N.jpg

Gents, I bring you Hovertrack. 100% stock.

3RvSR

3RvXi

3Rw35

3RvYJ

Carries two pilots, four passengers in the back (six before I realized how much space Kerbals take up.). Moves at a roughly average speed for vehicles of this style, about 15 to 20 m/s.

Edited by STARSTRUCK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.