International construction ISS in Kerbal orbit.

BobCat

Do I need KOSMOS and/or the Soviet Pack to properly make the ISS? Are there any other mods required? I ask because those two packs (and B9 which seems required for Soviet) push my GameData folder above 1.5GB, which is where crashes start to occur for me.

Do I need KOSMOS and/or the Soviet Pack to properly make the ISS? Are there any other mods required? I ask because those two packs (and B9 which seems required for Soviet) push my GameData folder above 1.5GB, which is where crashes start to occur for me.

No all the parts needed are in the ISS download. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-19-x-iss-space-station-pack-ver-0-03/

You don't need B9 for the Soviet Pack. And everything you need to build the ISS comes in the ISS pack. Although if you want to recreate the ISS Expedition launches, you'll need the Soyuz from the Soviet pack. Also, if you want to add a bit of roleplaying to it, you can also get the ATV resupply vehicle from the ESA pack and the Component Space Shuttle. But be warned, the space shuttle is uncontrollable within the atmosphere.

You don't need B9 for the Soviet Pack. And everything you need to build the ISS comes in the ISS pack.

That's good to know, thanks. Then I'll keep whatever B9 parts are used on Buran and Kliper, etc, and deleting the rest should free up space for the other stuff.

I notice there are KAS plugins in the pack, but it sounds like I don't need the mod itself? What is the KAS stuff used for?

That's good to know, thanks. Then I'll keep whatever B9 parts are used on Buran and Kliper, etc, and deleting the rest should free up space for the other stuff.

I notice there are KAS plugins in the pack, but it sounds like I don't need the mod itself? What is the KAS stuff used for?

KAS or Kerbal Attachment System is famous for winches and bungy jumping Kerbals and allowing your kerbals to pick up parts and place them almost anywhere. Bobcat used it in the Soviet Pack to allow us to move some solar panels around like in the RL Mir. For the ISS, I'm not sure. Someone else chime in!

I haven't used the updated Soviet pack yet. I didn't know that it's now dependent on other mods. That's a bit odd.

KAS or Kerbal Attachment System is famous for winches and bungy jumping Kerbals and allowing your kerbals to pick up parts and place them almost anywhere. Bobcat used it in the Soviet Pack to allow us to move some solar panels around like in the RL Mir. For the ISS, I'm not sure. Someone else chime in!

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I suppose I should have been more specific in my question. I'm aware of KAS and its uses, just wondered if the full KAS mod was also needed here, or if the necessary plugins were in the ISS pack (sounds like they are) and what purpose they serve here. I'd suspect that there are some modules that employ or require it? I really hope that we eventually see a good system for orbital construction in the main game - I like the idea of sending Kerbals out on EVA to build stuff in space.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I suppose I should have been more specific in my question. I'm aware of KAS and its uses, just wondered if the full KAS mod was also needed here, or if the necessary plugins were in the ISS pack (sounds like they are) and what purpose they serve here. I'd suspect that there are some modules that employ or require it? I really hope that we eventually see a good system for orbital construction in the main game - I like the idea of sending Kerbals out on EVA to build stuff in space.

I think most people will say download the full version. There was a problem in the past with the KAS plugin in bobcat's stuff, but it might have been rectified. To be sure, just use the full KAS, and if a problem comes up, you can complain directly to the creators :)

I think most people will say download the full version.

As I mentioned, I'm rapidly running out of room for mods - as it is, I already have the occasional crash due to it. So I have to stay lean to add things like the ISS pack.

It isn't dependent on B9, why do you think you need it?

I mistakenly thought it was required for Soviet Pack. Looking closer I realize it's the Kerbal One shuttle (with Mir payloads) that uses it. So it's a nice add to this mod build, especially if the traditional US shuttle has issues in the game. So I'm going to look and see what B9 parts that needs and delete the rest so that I have room for this pack!

I mistakenly thought it was required for Soviet Pack. Looking closer I realize it's the Kerbal One shuttle (with Mir payloads) that uses it. So it's a nice add to this mod build, especially if the traditional US shuttle has issues in the game. So I'm going to look and see what B9 parts that needs and delete the rest so that I have room for this pack!

Buran is included in the Soviet pack, and it works fine. No need for another shuttle.

the only real problem I had was with S0. nothing I could do would get it to work/fit in the buran, and I had a heck of a time getting it to dock once I did launch it with a proton.
It's plagued by a bug that doesn't let you attack a radial node first. Unfortunately, those two nodes at the end both count as "radial".

FYI, if there's still interest, I think I resolved this using the SelectRoot add-on:

1) Load up Buran in the VAB, take off the cargo bay door.

2) Add a truss docking port facing up at the bottom of the cargo bay and another on top of that facing down.

3) Make the very top (facing down) docking port the root part (using SelectRoot.)

4) Remove the bottom docking port (and Buran attached) and set to one side. (Do NOT delete!)

5) Delete the remaining top docking port, leaving no root part.

6) Choose S0 from the parts list. It should now be a root part.

7) Rotate S0 so it's vertical, add a truss docking port facing down on the bottom of it.

8) Grab Buran (set aside in Step 4) by the truss docking port and attach it to the one on S0.

9) Add another truss docking port on top of S0 (for attaching S1 or P1).

10) Change the root to the crew module. (The vessel will not stage correctly if you don't do this.)

That's it. Here's a craft file with the results, which I'll be using for my [thread=45692]ISS Construction Journal[/thread] in a few days:

http://www./view/mc31ti82juyxwpk/Buran_-_S0.craft

Edited by Mr Shifty

I'm pretty confused where to actually place the robotic arm (the Canadarm2). There doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Do I just simply slap it in on one of the solar panels? That doesn't seem right...

Edited by MR.Mac

I'm pretty confused where to actually place the robotic arm (the Canadarm2). There doesn't seem to be a slot for it. Do I just simply slap it in on one of the solar panels? That doesn't seem right...

It should go on the S0 truss, right in the middle. Or...you could put it anywhere there's a power grapple fixture.

I just noticed that I have to download a few packs seperately :D ... Shall I put them together with this ISS modpack, or are all things needed in the soviet pack already? ... This Thread should mention that on the very first page for a better overview^^

EDIT: Got that, as nobody answered in time^^

But a question to the PMA adapter:

Does it be a docking port, or do I have to stick one onto the PMA adapter to dock on it?

I tried to dock on it, but I couldn't?? ... I'm not sure if this is normal.

And what is the "MIR docking Port Probe" actually good for? ... I always use the "MIR docking Port Drogue"?

Edited by AndySanba

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.