Boat Parts ~~~0.90~~~ R4.65~~~

InfiniteDice

Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which of my in-development projects do you like best and would like to see released?

Hey there ! :)

I've got some problems with the carrier flight deck. Everytime i try to "dock" the tomcat with the carrier it falls through the deck into the hangar.

Looks like you have a lot docked there already! Not sure what you mean, some dock others fall through?

If you get wheels falling through while moving the boat, or any other time... raise the aircraft gear, then lower them again. What could be the issue is the level of the docking port on the plane needs to be higher or lower. My guess would be lower in your case, this means you need less ground clearance on the aircraft, I know that's not always easy to change...

What is happening is the ports are grabbing one another and locking the aircraft to the carrier, meanwhile it's compressing the gear suspension. Eventually it falls through the collider and you have your problems. Either move the docking port closer to the ground, or put less tall gear on the plane.

Let me know. And for gods sake post some pics to the forum... :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

Oh! Sorry! I linked the wrong album....

The tomcats in the first album are NOT docked ! The next album should show what i mean.

http://imgur.com/a/uOjdC#0

You have a robotic part that drops the dock... that's neat... but I can see in your pics that it's broken off the plane and the dock is still married to the base dock. There is a lot of stress at that connection.

What's likely happening in this case is, your plane connects.... and the connection is so wobbly that it sinks into the deck, eventually the joint between the robotic part and the plane breaks ... usually when it's embedded into the carrier deck. This will cause your plane to explode because it then becomes a separate vessel again.

The docking connections must be very stiff. When I mount the plane dock to a stock part, I always use at least 1 super strut on it.. or it will fall off.

When the carrier loads it's common for it to freefall for a few metres then impact the water, this will also break any weak connections... you'll have planes bouncing off into the water!

Try a more solid non-robotic connection, usually if you need to spacer the dock on the bottom of the plane use the smallest stock truss, the little cube truss. Then attach the dock. Then super struts. If you want to use the robotic connection, I think you can still super strut it, the strut will stretch to the new position... or something will break.

Let me know how you make out :)

You'll see here, that after the docking node connects it settles the planes connection with the wheels below the deck:

2ezpbmo.png

The problem is simply: Every plane is different but the docks use static connection locations. In the next release I'll make the docks have variable connection positions. For now your only solution is to get the aircraft dock closer to the carrier dock... all while maintaining maximum rigidity.

HI great mod you achieved thru plugins what i struggled but managed to do without one, must say its a nice solution . I made a sub or two way back in 018 hope you dont mind me using the plugins to get them working again.

A small suggestion,dont need myself as i already made myself one but I was thinking , perhaps you could create a little model with the boat interface module scripted in, that would surface mount to any pod ( got to be on the pod though or things go very bad) for those less mod savvy or for less conventional craft, my version just in a plain blue box simply containing your very neat module, it has proved very handy for my own minisub testing ( i hate the 2km drive) and some very strange stuff has been splashed just to see how they behaved :) Cheers again

Spanner

I've updated the docking port on the aircraft to have a variable connection node position. This will allow various designs to connect easily.

Just copy the files in the CarrierR3PlaneDock folder over the old ones you have under BoatPartsR3/Parts/CarrierR3PlaneDock/

And then replace the LandAssist.dll in the R3 Plugins directory with this new one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82_uLLhCvSPNkVON1QwdUdXeGc

You can now change the docking distance with an offset via slider-bar. If the plane is already connected and you move the offset slider it does nothing, you'll need to decouple the plane first, set the height offset, then dock.

I assume from spending a whole hour after discovering this mod and looking at the last pages, guns are coming- I am waiting for a glorious sea battle to put a impressively explosive climax to my cinematic...

Please!? I can't live without them!

http://i40.tinypic.com/biwhz8.png

Try to ignore the fact that it's using a carrier con tower! :)

Hey there ! :)

I've got some problems with the carrier flight deck. Everytime i try to "dock" the tomcat with the carrier it falls through the deck into the hangar.

http://imgur.com/a/DMdzg#0

um.......... can i haz dat list of mods to have both boat and tomcat in the game? they look fantastic

tumblr_inline_mulz042JxB1qbae44.jpg

Ok, i have some problems, it for the most happends with both the subs and the runabout EVO. they either splash and explode or are send to the void with the kraken attack again, tried modifying the M2W (thinking it meant move to water) and used the Firespitter "spawn on water" and tried everything possible. Still it had the same results. There is no way to launch some of the watercrafts. Its not my computer, of that i am sure.

I built a new Brazzers-Class (Thanks for the idea for the new Class title LOL) carrier in record time thanks to the new plugin! :D

I give you the Brazzers-Class carrier, "Metroplex"! :D

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/585/9e4y.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/59/dena.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/823/q5h8.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/268/nlc7.jpg

hmmm... longer but not... hmmm... "has idea" haha! hahahahahaha! MUHAHAHA!

brb building duo aircraft carrier for SPACE-TRAVEL

I loved the idea of carrier parts, both for water (for which they're to be intended), and for side hangar bays on space ships...

Daedalus from StarGate series - http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/File:DaedalusSummit11.jpg

Carrier ship in StarShatter -

...likely smaller due to part count and physics loading, but I ran into a few problems and noticed a few things.

In the SPH, the ship pieces (from the lift bays to the loading ramp) start rotated forward and exhibit odd behavior for symmetry... making symmetry and center-finding problematic. (I know symmetry was mentioned twice in this chain, but I did not read all 119 previous pages >.< -- any chance the parts were generated with mismatched axes?)

The parts are split as the author decided...

Runway deck overlaps the overhang and lift-bay structure pieces

Quarter-hull seems to be the intended linking/platform piece (although I did have some success using just lift bays, hangar floors, and a runway).

Only a full length runway is available to fit in the uniquely shaped and sized gap created between structure pieces, and the width is then determined as well (2 runways side-by-side are problematic for the chosen part division).

Using a full runway encourages a minimum length (adding carrier pieces to both sides of the entire length) and resulted in a heavy minimum ship segment.

The attachment nodes on the top edges of the lift bays and hangar floor pieces are vertically aligned.

Granted I am probably doing a few things wrong, but I'm just giving feedback for a mod that instantly gave me happiness and ideas when I saw it.

Here's my saved sample of trying to use symmetry for a single-piece-length side bay: http://postimg.org/image/gissqdh9v/ (you can see the depth conflict on the far caution stripe).

(On a previous test model, I used powered Robotics hinges for front & back hangar doors. I figured bays that allow for fly-through might be a good idea for error-prone pilots, stunts, etc.)

Many thanks, and best of luck!

--CP44

I had my carrier flip out and literally go belly up once i had 3 planes docked, and i am still having problems with the attaching ports of the aircrafts getting off from the planes. Sadly there is no buttom to fix the aircraft or to stick it again.

On another note, with FAR mode, i was able to go around the world with the naval shark. That extra 50 fuel liters in the attachment port was a life-saver.

I loved the idea of carrier parts, both for water (for which they're to be intended), and for side hangar bays on space ships...

Daedalus from StarGate series - http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/File:DaedalusSummit11.jpg

Carrier ship in StarShatter -

Many thanks, and best of luck!

--CP44

Can't cover all your points! :)

Carrier parts, as well as most of the other boatparts were never designed for symmetry I doubt I'll ever change that... some of the older parts R1 worked well in that respect but they were of a more basic shape. Most carrier/sub parts are asymmetrical, so I just didn't bother. The deck size, well there is a minimum length a carrier would be, and coming from R1 & R2 the part count had to come down (a lot!); this was one solution. The smallest somewhat normal carrier is the Grasshopper. I do still have the original carrier parts on storage, if the next KSP does what it intends for part connections, we can save ~100 struts on the large carrier. This means the older more segmented parts could be re-released.

Lastly I love it when people use the parts, especially if they get them to work well in other places (space) where I never intended them to be used. You void the warrantee as soon as you use it for flying, space adventures, floating party platforms.... etc. :)

R5 will come out shortly after or alongside Skillful. The float code is being re-vamped and integrated with the damage system so expect a few things to change.

Thanks!

Hey Dr. Death, This can happen periodically, I'm making some major changes to the float code, and this should improve overall stability. The issue seems to be perhaps a positional error, when the carrier loads and drops into the water it becomes unbalanced, by time it corrects it's float if there is too much mass high up on the ship it could dip'n tip! For now try to alternate positions left and right so it balances the mass. Also any larger or very heavy craft should be docked inside, to lower the center of mass.

Hey Dr. Death, This can happen periodically, I'm making some major changes to the float code, and this should improve overall stability. The issue seems to be perhaps a positional error, when the carrier loads and drops into the water it becomes unbalanced, by time it corrects it's float if there is too much mass high up on the ship it could dip'n tip! For now try to alternate positions left and right so it balances the mass. Also any larger or very heavy craft should be docked inside, to lower the center of mass.

cant do much more, i am using a stock plane on stock points.

And i have observed the missiles for the submarine aren't as powerful as someone would wish, and if you talk about float code, i have seen how several big chunks of the carrier even cutted at half can float by themselves, maybe this can be fixed by making a code or a script that forces the aircraft to float if it has X parts together.

Thanks for the work you are doing, not many mod-makers would actualy answer most of the feedback users give them. I would honestly suggest for a more realistic-based aircraft carrier (4-5 wires, angled deck, maybe catapult, etc.) or to make a better way to spawn in the water due to bugs and glitches, but its up to you.

Hi there!

I recently installed your mod. Found a couple issues you might want to fix (or maybe you already have in a build not available to the public yet)...

Several items have no tech tree entries for career mode:

limpet mines (both)

carrier deck!!

VLS Trident (all parts)

(temp fixed these myself)

Second, the aircraft carrier's bridge has really strange connectivity. For example, I can't put struts on it, at all. If I try, they're inside the object and connect to another part of the inside of the object. No idea how to fix this off hand.

Lastly, I didn't like the carrier engine sounding like a jet, so I modded it out. (don't worry about this one. To each their own)

Other than these, your mod is awesome! I fully intend to begin carrier operations immediately. I have added several remote tech, infernal robotics, and SCANsat parts to your carrier .craft, to make it a mobile command center that's visible on the main map, and appears to have a full on communications tower. Now, to try to land something on it!