[0.21+] Kosmos Spacecraft Design Bureau: Updated (9/27/13)

Normak

I hope the stats blend well with the KSP stock engines. Mod engine packs sometimes have trouble with this, making the engines either too good or too bad, making players not choose them in the end because it feels either cheaty or they just suck ;) .

Diverse stats definitely are very important, and stock KSP also definitely offers niches where specialized engines can excel.

I eagerly await your release :) !

I am not exactly sure how NMB did them but I think he scaled down the actual engines down from the real like counter parts. That being said i think Stock engines are rather unbalanced at this time for their size and mass and such. And that being said KSPwill one day have a tech tree. Kosmos engines will be balanced into the tech tree to even out their Opness. But currently it is possible they will be preferred over stock engines. but they are also a good bit prettier than stock engines as well. So.. why use stock engines? if you like stock engines why use a mod? lol.

lemme try and get an overheat picture.

edit: here is what you will see right before failure overheat failure

RD-33nkblowing%27.png

I mean just LOOK at this. . . F**K~! Does the proton use this as well? I'm sorry but I only know so much of the Russian space effort. ;.;

I hope the stats blend well with the KSP stock engines. Mod engine packs sometimes have trouble with this, making the engines either too good or too bad, making players not choose them in the end because it feels either cheaty or they just suck ;) .

Diverse stats definitely are very important, and stock KSP also definitely offers niches where specialized engines can excel.

I eagerly await your release :) !

So good news, bad news, tradition dictates bad news first

Bad News; No, I'm afraid they don't seamlessly blend with stock engines because effort went into making them as faithful a reproduction of the original engines as possible, these engines held the highest TWR (136) for slightly over 40 years (for comparison, the F-1 was only 94.1 TWR) having only just been surpassed by the Merlin-1D (159.9) so that comes through in the game translated stats.

Good News; In antici................... pation of the stock-alike demand, I also did the modelling for performance strictly in line with stock part performance, so people can drop in these values to the .cfg's if they prefer such.

Edited by NoMrBond

Does R4.4 fix the animation issues with the large panels?

sumghai came up with a config structuring fix that can be used for it, it's been applied to the Dragon+Trunk parts already

The twin balka wing is hopefully likewise compatible with the fix but required some animation file changes, not sure if that was in the R4.4 release, I think that was updating the last original KOSMOS models and updating for the 0.21 RW/SAS changes

Edited by NoMrBond

How bothersome... the extending nozzle animation stops the emissive over heat animations form working correctly on the RD-0146... this game man.... i swear. it will be years before animation modules work correctly I guess.

in other news.

Great Gravy. i forgot how amazing the panel detail is. i even have the little gears textures on the insides of the rotary clamps hahah.

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

Hey, CBBP, what program do you use to edit the .MBM files/convert them to an editable format? I tried XnConvert and XnConvertMP, but neither of them seem to work - they say the files aren't pictures. If I take a random .png or .bmp and convert it to .MBM, it can convert it back again, but the .mbm's that are used in KSP won't convert. The reason that I want to know this, is so that I can downsize the files myself.

Thanks to Snjo. Emmissives can now be seen ont he RD-0146 with the nozzle down. look it is about to blow up :D

Note that since it is an expander cycle engine and the hot fuel is gooing out of the chamber to spin the turbines and back in the pipes also glow ^^

RD-0146%20heat%20test.png

Edited by CardBoardBoxProcessor

I kinda like my work protected so to say. so I am fine with this issue :D but if you hex edit it it and remove like the first 20 bytes or something I think it will work. not sure. i heard it is on the KSP wiki somewhere.

Well, I read the license and it didn't say anything about not editing it for yourself. Anyway, the thingy on the wiki requires photoshop , which I don't have, and doesn't work for changing size of the file, which was what I came for. So I'll just be looking for something free that can edit .pmb files. Or a way to make the converters work :)

EDIT: CBBP, what method do you use for editing/converting the images?

Edited by wasmic

hey awesome pack i remeber using it in 0.19 i think, but i have a problem with spaceport specially with this mod, when i download it it dowloads it incomplete, i mean of th 80 MB it downloads around 40-70 and then stops i am the only one with this problem?

Strictly stock-alike balanced values for so inclined people

RD-0146

Either decrease maxThrust to 27 -or- increase mass to 1.62 (do NOT do both, you will not have a good time)

RD-33NK

Either decrease maxThrust to 420 -or- increase mass to 2.35 (again, do NOT do both, you will not have a good time)

These take into account changes in mass, thrust, TVC and ISP.

Edited by NoMrBond

Many thanks to Sumghai for the solar panel fix idea. and

Welcome our New Mod team member NoMrBond who made awesome thrust weight and ISP values :D

Yay for the Balka Solar Panel Block fix! I've just switched back and forth over several flights and the solar array actually remained open!

Mucho, mucho gracias!

no no. thank you for the suggestion.