Compilation of modding information links for 0.19/20/21/22/23 - Last update 24th Jan

hoojiwana

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I want to update my mods with stock WheelModule (until now I was using CleverBobcat plugin) but I can't find any tutorial about it, just the dev picture (I can't understand anything with that). Is anyone can give me advices, tips or may be the best: a unity project working (I don't want to copy but I need to see how it works).

I want to know how to make a generator consuming resources AND producing another. I know it was possible but I can't remember how to do it.

Thanks.

@NathanKell: Thanks. You're right, ModuleGenerator is broken under warp and almost unusable.

1. Is it possible to have an AnimationGenericModule consuming resources during animation? For example, click the button "Open door", the door opens and this consumes x electricCharge during animation?

2. Anyone to help me with stock WheelModule? (cf. post #105)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

uhm i'm just gonna put this here for people who arn't that good at maths and whare a bit stuck with the engine ratio being 1.1:0.9 (or is it 0.9:1.1? idk) divide it by two to get 0.55:0.45 (or 0.45:0.55) and divide the total resources from the given tank you want to edit/modify and you'll get the total units of the tank without much trouble.

e.g: you have a tank of 400 liquid fuel but you want to make it suitable for a rocket. so you open up the .cfg and peek in... you see that it's total units of LF are 400. the ratio for the engine is 1.1:0.9 (which it was for me) so you divide the ratio by 2 to get 0.45:0.55 which is more managable and at the end when you get the amount of LF and oxydizer if you add the two together you get the total which was as it is before you mkodded it (400)

if anyone knows what i mean and can explain it better please do... i didn't find this out for a week

Edited by AntiMatter001

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
OP hasn't been on for two months and the first post needs to be updated. If someone made a list of new links could a mod please help?
hoojiwana user-offline.png

Mini RTG guy

reputation_pos.pngreputation_pos.png

Last Activity

8th June 2014 03:07

2 weeks, not 2 months... :blush:

Hi, just started a thread regarding rover wheels and suspension, there's info there I've not found anywhere except by trial and error, and a very neat alternnative wheel hierarchy by lo-fi, take a look if you're doing wheels, and comment if you have anything cool or useful to share, the aim is to make it easier to learn how to make rover wheels etc rather than the pain it is at the moment.

Cheers

Spanner

I gave some squad parts fake internal.cfgs and was able to pull some of them into unity through part tools. they even came through with the colliders and flag transforms, which is extremely helpful. I know I'm not the only one beating my head trying to figure out airlock and ladder placements, internal mesh orientation in relation to external mesh orientation.

here's 3 that I've been able to pull so far. the copula doesn't come through with a part mesh, only the internals. haven't tried the other ones yet. will add more ton the album as I get then through part tools.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I gave some squad parts fake internal.cfgs and was able to pull some of them into unity through part tools. they even came through with the colliders and flag transforms, which is extremely helpful. I know I'm not the only one beating my head trying to figure out airlock and ladder placements, internal mesh orientation in relation to external mesh orientation.

here's 3 that I've been able to pull so far. the copula doesn't come through with a part mesh, only the internals. haven't tried the other ones yet. will add more ton the album as I get then through part tools.

That's a really handy reference, thanks for that.

Does anyone have a guess why they're often using capsule colliders instead of boxes?

seems to work better in combination. two overlapping box colliders tends to block each other so you only get "Grab" or "Board" options, not both. but your guess is as good as mine. I'm new to the modding game. :D

• 3 weeks later...

There's a lot of outdated information in those links, and I've had a heck of a time trying to pinpoint where particular methods were wrong. I only recently found Nifty255's videos for beginning modders, and he does a very good job of covering the modding process. A few alterations based on his video solved all the issues I was running into. I apologize if these are already linked here somewhere, but I highly recommend that all prospective modders start with these videos:

- This covers the very basics. If you've looked into KSP modding at all, this may not teach you anything.

- If you're making regular parts, this is probably all you need. It covers proper model and texture setup in Blender, setup and exporting through Unity, and even goes into setting up animations.

and

- These two cover things on the programming side: modules, plugins, .dll's, etc. I haven't gone through them, but they look thorough and easy enough to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

For Linux users, you can get Unity to run in Wine. Following https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30451, I succeeded by installing via PlayOnLinux, in a 32bit virtual drive, with the mentioned registry fix (manually edit the registry using PoL's Configure menu), and tahoma copied to the drive_c/windows/fonts directory of the virtual drive.

Screenshot%2520from%25202014-07-31%252016%253A46%253A40.jpg
Edited by colmo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all just bringing it to the attention of those who want to make Rover Wheels that I have created and release a complete basic wheel building package for unity 3 onwards, It contains all you need to make your first working KSP wheel

Get it in my wheel thread along with loads of very useful and rare information

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83200-Rover-Wheel-problems-SOLUTIONS-and-New-UNITY-wheel-build-package?p=1215204&viewfull=1#post1215204 Please read the notes regarding package before use

• 2 weeks later...

I built a fugly-looking (untextured) part in order to do some trial-and-error tests on the ability of Kerbals to climb stairs -- by which I mean the ability to seamlessly traverse a sharp increase in height of whatever terrain or object they are standing upon by walking or running -- no jumping or RCS.

a note about dimensions: I made the part in blender using metric dimensions, preserving the scale when imported to Unity. Standard KSP rescaleFactor = 1.25 is applied in the part.cfg file.

Here is a screenshot of the test rig I built in KSP:

stair_testbed_craft.png

The step heights (in blender) are:

Left side: 7.5cm, 8cm, 8.5cm, 9cm, 9.5cm, 10cm

Right side: 10cm, 10.5cm, 11cm, 11.5cm, 12cm

Note: Each step has its own separate box collider. If you create a single convex collider for the entire part, you'll get the physics behavior of a ramp instead!

Testing was done on the KSC launchpad. I don't think gravity is a factor so the results should apply on any planet/moon, but I may be wrong about that.

Here are the results:

stair_testbed_table.png

When walking, Kerbals will seamlessly traverse heights up to 7.5cm. Heights up to 10cm can be climbed with some effort -- while walking against the step with "W", quickly tap "A" and "D" alternately to wiggle the Kerbal will allow the step to be climbed. This can also be done by wiggling the camera (hold right-click and wiggle mouse) while walking against the step.

Kerbals will seamlessly run up steps of up to 10cm height. Depending on the run-up distance before hitting the step, Kerbals will generally climb 10.5cm steps; and in rare instances, 11cm steps.

I imagine this information might be useful (yeah, right) to anyone aiming to create base-building parts or static buildings (e.g. for Kerbtown) that have hi-fi staircases (instead of just ramps) so I'll just leave this here. Although I imagine most of the time people will just use ramps or simulate stairs with ramps (e.g. the staircases on the outside of KSC buildings) in order to keep triscount in check.

Thanks cake>pie for this info but gravity really matter as on Minmus, a single jumb allow a lazy kerbal to climb ~ 10-20m maybe even more.

And with your size thing, I'm not sure the given size are accurate (you could just use rescaleFactor =1.0 to keep sizes as they are).

Regarding the colliders, I can imagine a serious slowdown even in the VAB (you may have 14 colliders, I tried 16, KSP/unity don't like it).

Thanks cake>pie for this info but gravity really matter as on Minmus, a single jumb allow a lazy kerbal to climb ~ 10-20m maybe even more.

And with your size thing, I'm not sure the given size are accurate (you could just use rescaleFactor =1.0 to keep sizes as they are).

Regarding the colliders, I can imagine a serious slowdown even in the VAB (you may have 14 colliders, I tried 16, KSP/unity don't like it).

Notice I mentioned: "seamlessly traverse a sharp increase in height of whatever terrain or object they are standing upon by walking or running -- no jumping or RCS."

Of course gravity matters if you allow jumping. The point of the experiment is, you don't climb stairs in real life by jumping with both legs together (at least, not unless you're doing that deliberately as a form of exercise or something). I wanted to see what height a Kerbal could cross if you simply use WASD only.