[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

My guesses are leaning towards probably not.

I tend to disagree. I think it'll be updated. There are a lot of reasons as to why bac9 has not updated it yet, such as real life commitments.

The community has already figured out what needs to be updated for 0.23, and if Bac hasn't come back by 0.24, the community will probably figure out how to fix it yet again.

Yup. Even then, I do not think that 0.24, with the features the devs have announced, will influence B9 like the 0.23 update did. What broke most things was the tweakables feature being introduced.

In fact, it's a possibility that bac9 is waiting for the 0.24 update to roll out, since the joint reinforcement feature in 0.24 might be the fix for the landing gear issues that everyone has been having.

thank you, testing now. I was sitting here thinking I was completely incompetent!

[edit] nnnnnnnnnope. That did nothing. Planes still randomly go "HEY I'M GOING TO SLAP THE GROUND WITH MY WINGS AND BLOW UP YAY!" XP

Could you post a screenie of the craft?

One my game, the landing gear wobble has been nipped in the bud. I only have one craft that has a tendency to wobble, and it does the same thing even with the stock landing gear because the craft is too heavy, thus causing the landing gear to buckle.

i'm just going to interupt this thread with a couple of photos i took of my Raven and Raven MK2.

Raven MK1

http://imgur.com/a/uCQYO

Raven MK2

http://imgur.com/a/jvKeI#7

i hope you enjoy :P

Great looking SSTOs.

Here's another photo of a test machine that I threw together last night. By the way, those are working landing gears (no wobble) and a working Sabre engine in 0.23.

ewQJxYB.jpg

I tend to disagree. I think it'll be updated. There are a lot of reasons as to why bac9 has not updated it yet, such as real life commitments.

Yup. Even then, I do not think that 0.24, with the features the devs have announced, will influence B9 like the 0.23 update did. What broke most things was the tweakables feature being introduced.

In fact, it's a possibility that bac9 is waiting for the 0.24 update to roll out, since the joint reinforcement feature in 0.24 might be the fix for the landing gear issues that everyone has been having.

Could you post a screenie of the craft?

One my game, the landing gear wobble has been nipped in the bud. I only have one craft that has a tendency to wobble, and it does the same thing even with the stock landing gear because the craft is too heavy, thus causing the landing gear to buckle.

Great looking SSTOs.

Here's another photo of a test machine that I threw together last night. By the way, those are working landing gears (no wobble) and a working Sabre engine in 0.23.

http://i.imgur.com/ewQJxYB.jpg

<---- just got served. XD

nice plane but where's that intake at the front from?

oh also it was two planes :P

That's the thing, it's not wobbling like a rocket where it BENDS- it's like the center of mass randomly flips around!

Ever seen a bicycle steered by someone trying not to crash, where they lean to one side, then the other, then back and forth madly out of control until they run into something and have to go to the ER? THAT. Imagine THAT.

Sounds like it's the landing gear.

Sounds like it's the landing gear.

Yeah, but I applied the fix already- so what else can I do? x.x;

[EDIT] Okay, it's even doing this with the STOCK landing gear...

Edited by Tassyr

The landing gear is most likely buckling; the craft is most likely too heavy and is buckling from its own weight. There's two solutions: 1) add more landing gear and 2) lighten the craft. I got one heavy lifter that has six landing gear just in the back in order to support its weight.

The landing gear is most likely buckling; the craft is most likely too heavy and is buckling from its own weight. There's two solutions: 1) add more landing gear and 2) lighten the craft. I got one heavy lifter that has six landing gear just in the back in order to support its weight.

That's a thing? I didn't even know that was a thing. Okay, time to test. XP

Hello. :)

I believe I have a solution to your problem, but you may not like me because it's a very simple fix. :)

I just watched the video you posted. The landing gear isn't wobbling at all, nor is it buckling because of too much weight. The problem is that the rear landing gear are toed inwards very slightly. I know this because I myself have tried to mount gear to that same B9 fuselage piece, and had the exact same problem. :) There must be something about the shape of the model in that area to cause anything that is surface-attached to be aligned slightly towards the nose of the craft.

Anyway, like I said, it's a simple fix. Try attaching the landing gear - you can go back to using the B9 parts if you want to, btw - to the wings instead of the fuselage. Anywhere that they're parallel with each other, and perpendicular to the ground, at least side to side. What I mean is, when you view your plane directly from the front or back, the gear should be straight up and down, no 'camber' at all. When viewed from the bottom, the gear bays MUST be totally parallel to each other, if they're not... well, you already know what happens. :)

I hope this helps, Tassyr. I know it may mean compromising your design slightly, aesthetically, but form must follow function, yes? And you'll be much happier with a plane that doesn't do the 'Kerbal Shimmy' and can actually get into the air, anyway, right? Right.

Good luck, friend. Later! :D

Hello. :)

I believe I have a solution to your problem, but you may not like me because it's a very simple fix. :)

I just watched the video you posted. The landing gear isn't wobbling at all, nor is it buckling because of too much weight. The problem is that the rear landing gear are toed inwards very slightly. I know this because I myself have tried to mount gear to that same B9 fuselage piece, and had the exact same problem. :) There must be something about the shape of the model in that area to cause anything that is surface-attached to be aligned slightly towards the nose of the craft.

Anyway, like I said, it's a simple fix. Try attaching the landing gear - you can go back to using the B9 parts if you want to, btw - to the wings instead of the fuselage. Anywhere that they're parallel with each other, and perpendicular to the ground, at least side to side. What I mean is, when you view your plane directly from the front or back, the gear should be straight up and down, no 'camber' at all. When viewed from the bottom, the gear bays MUST be totally parallel to each other, if they're not... well, you already know what happens. :)

I hope this helps, Tassyr. I know it may mean compromising your design slightly, aesthetically, but form must follow function, yes? And you'll be much happier with a plane that doesn't do the 'Kerbal Shimmy' and can actually get into the air, anyway, right? Right.

Good luck, friend. Later! :D

Yep, what he said. Imagine trying to push a shopping cart whose wheels have been permanently frozen slightly pointing toward each other.

wWQfsqk.png

It should probably be noted that the aforementioned stock-gear-wobbling is of a different kind than the B9-gear-wobbling. the latter occurs in all kinds of situations with mostly/only heavy air- and spacecraft where their gear bends sideways while the plane stays rather stable - until it crashes nearly instantly. the first happened because of an engineer not paying attention. (sorry).

greetings

hector

I'm also getting the gear shimmy with stock landing gear and B9 wings. It's quite annoying.

The landing gear is attached directly to the wings, yet I still get the gear shimmy.

Edited by MD5Ray01

Hi,

I have a strange bug with B9 wings with integrated control surfaces. When I will attach these wings to aircraft and press S on runway, control surfaces should move up. But control surfaces on B9 wings will just move slightly up... When I will replace wings with stock ones and add separate control surfaces (even B9), they work fine. Do you know what can be the issue?? I dont have FAR installed

Hi,

I have a strange bug with B9 wings with integrated control surfaces. When I will attach these wings to aircraft and press S on runway, control surfaces should move up. But control surfaces on B9 wings will just move slightly up... When I will replace wings with stock ones and add separate control surfaces (even B9), they work fine. Do you know what can be the issue?? I dont have FAR installed

right-clicking on the wings in KSP 0.23 should open a small menu which allows you to set the maximum deflection of control surfaces. try increasing the maximum deflection of the B9 wing control surfaces.

In KSP 0.22 this can not be set this way, you need FAR for that.

greetings

Hector

I've had a certain fascination with elevons. They work fine in KSP, as long as the actual elevons are dedicated control surfaces placed at the trailing edge of a wing. Logically, the built-in control surfaces of B9 winglets should then also work fine as elevons. They're considered to be placed in the centre by the game however, which makes winglets largely unsuitable for elevons, despite being by far the only visually appealing option. Does anyone know if it is possible to separate the wing CoM from the control surface point of activity, or are they intrinsically considered the same?

Is there a way to disable brakes on B9 gears? I'm having an issue where my planes tip over forwards on landing if I activate the brakes.

Right click on them and disable brakes, or set it in the actions group.

Is there a way to disable brakes on B9 gears? I'm having an issue where my planes tip over forwards on landing if I activate the brakes.

or asign the back gear breaks to 1 so only the back gear slows the craft down thus not making you kiss the ground hard

I couldn't right click to close or open the cargo bays in SPH. Any ideas?

It means your plugins aren't up to date, specifically Firespitter for the cargo bay animations. There are many many, MANY posts on this thread with links to the most recent versions of all the relevant plugins, some are just a page or two back. I'm sure you can find them easily enough. :)

Or, someone more charitable than I am could post that information yet again, I suppose.

If you're having an issue when you press B, then find the offending gear in the action group called Brake (in the VAB/SPH) and remove it. Whichever one you remove from that action group will no longer engage when you hit B again. :)

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with B9 during the initial loading of the game...

The loading bar just gets stuck on the file "jet pod medium..."

I have already follewed some instructions (ie those in the post above) but nothing seems to work.

Edit: no, it doesen't seem to a problem deriving from B9; I have removed the mod and the problem appears whenever the loading bar reaches more or less 75%..

Maybe I'll post somewhere esle. Nonetheless, any suggestion is appreciated:)

Edited by Gabelach