[0.22] B9 Aerospace Pack / R4.0c / New pods, IVAs, engines, fuselages & structures

bac9

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with B9 during the initial loading of the game...

The loading bar just gets stuck on the file "jet pod medium..."

I have already follewed some instructions (ie those in the post above) but nothing seems to work.

Edit: no, it doesen't seem to a problem deriving from B9; I have removed the mod and the problem appears whenever the loading bar reaches more or less 75%..

Maybe I'll post somewhere esle. Nonetheless, any suggestion is appreciated:)

Have you installed anything else? My guess would be that you have run out of memory or that one of your other mods is breaking something.

-Garland

Hi guys, I'm having some problems with B9 during the initial loading of the game...

I have already follewed some instructions (ie those in the post above) but nothing seems to work.

Edit: no, it doesen't seem to a problem deriving from B9; I have removed the mod and the problem appears whenever the loading bar reaches more or less 75%..

Check output_log.txt. If you see anything referring to not enough system memory or ran out of system memory, you're overloading your RAM. To resolve this you will need one of the memory reduction mods available about the forums.

Check output_log.txt. If you see anything referring to not enough system memory or ran out of system memory, you're overloading your RAM. To resolve this you will need one of the memory reduction mods available about the forums.

He's possibly having the same exact problem as I am, the game. doesn't crash. it just dead stops at the jet pods. no errors, no crash, no crash log, nothing except a game that refused to do any more. only difference is that when i removed my B9, the problem stopped.

How would I go about editting the B2 Low Profile Atlas engine to be a 1.25m engine?

This should... operative word: SHOULD... be quite simple. :)

Go into your config file for that part. That would be: Kerbal Space Program > GameData > B9_Aerospace > Engine_L2_Atlas

... and just change the 'rescaleFactor = 1' to 'rescaleFactor = .5'.

Keep in mind, if you just do this, you won't have a 2.5 meter engine anymore, it will be the smaller 1.25 meter size. If you want both, here's what you do:

Select ALL of the text in the config file window, by using Ctrl+A, or selecting 'Edit > Select All' from the menu at the top of the window.

Copy that text to your clipboard, Ctrl+C.

Put your cursor at the very bottom of the window, BELOW the last '}'.

Paste your clipboard back into the window by using Ctrl+V.

Now you should have 2 identical sets of text, both starting with the word PART (in all caps, just like that), and ending with a final '}'.

Now, you MUST change at least 3 things in this new section:

1. Where it says "name = B9_Engine_L2_Atlas", change the part name to anything OTHER than 'B9_Engine_L2_Atlas'. For myself (yes, I decided to do this for myself too, it's a good idea, I've been needing a decent low-profile small engine. :) ), I decided to call it 'B9_Engine_L1_MiniAtlas'. As long as it's different from the original in some way, and of course as long as it isn't the same as any other part you have in the game.

2. Once again, change the 'rescaleFactor' component to 'rescaleFactor = .5'.

3. Now, under '// --- editor parameters ---', change the title of the part to how you want it to appear in the game. Again, for myself, I used 'L1 Mini-Atlas Low-Profile Engine'.

That's it. Well, the above are the 3 things you HAVE TO CHANGE, in order for the game to recognize this as a new part, and for it to show up in the game and actually be a new part. I also recommend changing the mass, thrust and other parameters to match what you think is appropriate for the smaller engine. Also, just for the sake of immersion, you should probably change the text of the description too, but that's just for looks, if that matters to you. :)

Hopefully this will help you to get the part you want, and also give you some information to make changes to other parts that you feel the need to have. As always, whatever you mess with in the config files is up to you, so be careful what you actually change, and I highly recommend keeping a backup of the original file somewhere safe in case something gets borked when you make the changes, that way you always have the original to fall back on. As soon as you know your changes/additions are good to go, you can get rid of the backup, but it's a nice safety net to have.

Yes, I could have just posted a file of config text for you to copy, but I believe in the old proverb: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for the rest of his life."

So, good luck, I hope all goes well, and that I've helped in some fashion. :)

Later! :D

If it gets stucked like that, and your memory usage (how much ksp.exe is using) is less that 3.4GB then it's a problem with module_manager. Delete and reinstall every single mod you have and t should solve the problem. But if your memory usage is larger that 3.4GB then you have a memory problem. Install the reduced texture package or try the active memory reduction mod.

Im having problems with part loading. ksp seams to only load the parts that are in a folder by them selves. so all of the fuselages that use one model and texture with a bunch of config files to define the parts never get loaded. In other mods such as Interstellar they use the same system and it works fine. i looked through the configs and found nothing unusual, and ksp still has plenty of memory to use. i recall having this problem before but i have no idea how i fixed it.

I have built some truly physics-boggling craft with everything else, but B9 parts fall apart like they're made of freaking plasterboard. I'm using the reinforced joints mod, and this is the only part pack that it hasn't fixed up. I built a very simple plane with two 5m long fuel tanks and it fell apart in a mild turn, after 2-2.5G maneuevers led to 10-15 degree separations of the fuselage from the clean spine.

Is this mod invulnerable to the reinforced joints? If so, why, and can it be fixed or do I need to remove it?

This is a serious problem, I haven't even seen wobble this bad since pre-0.20 or whenever they fixed ASAS wobble and space station wobble.

Edited by cardgame

Struts, struts, struts. They are ugly, but not as ugly as a wobbling wing. I haven't noticed them to have a great effect on aerodynamcis either, and even if they do, it is insignificant compared to that caused by a flexible fuselage.

I have built some truly physics-boggling craft with everything else, but B9 parts fall apart like they're made of freaking plasterboard. I'm using the reinforced joints mod, and this is the only part pack that it hasn't fixed up. I built a very simple plane with two 5m long fuel tanks and it fell apart in a mild turn, after 2-2.5G maneuevers led to 10-15 degree separations of the fuselage from the clean spine.

Is this mod invulnerable to the reinforced joints? If so, why, and can it be fixed or do I need to remove it?

This is a serious problem, I haven't even seen wobble this bad since pre-0.20 or whenever they fixed ASAS wobble and space station wobble.

I use KJR and I have no problems with wobble or breaking up. Either, you have installed something the wrong way, or another mod is making mischief, or your computer doesn't like B9. I can't see what else could have happened.

Have you installed anything else? My guess would be that you have run out of memory or that one of your other mods is breaking something.

-Garland

If it gets stucked like that, and your memory usage (how much ksp.exe is using) is less that 3.4GB then it's a problem with module_manager. Delete and reinstall every single mod you have and t should solve the problem. But if your memory usage is larger that 3.4GB then you have a memory problem. Install the reduced texture package or try the active memory reduction mod.

Thanks to all of you:)

The problem is not the memory since task manager shows me that only 2 gb are used by KSP.

Anyhow, the problem now seems to be solved. I have run again the cache integrity check with steam and perhaps it has solved the problems.

I'll now go in the mechjeb thread for the next issue:D

I use KJR and I have no problems with wobble or breaking up. Either, you have installed something the wrong way, or another mod is making mischief, or your computer doesn't like B9. I can't see what else could have happened.

Same here, running B9+KJR, and a few other mods (see sig for complete list). I don't have a problem with B9 stuff falling apart. But I also quit using B9 wing parts after I discovered P-wings. I needed to reduce the parts count, and it gives me more artistic freedom.

KJR doesn't reinforce surface connections as far as I know, only node ones, and KJR's stronger connections tends to make structures less forgiving since they can't flex, strut your wings, I like using the super strong KW/B9 struts as short of a run as possible hull to wing, kinda like stitches.

I'm not using B9 wings, but pwings.

The problem does lie in node connections. My S3 cockpit falls off its circular adapter very easily.

I think I can circumvent this, however. More important to me, actually, is stopping some B9 parts from loading. I deleted all the aero_wing parts in the folder, yet they all loaded up anyway. I don't want to have a million pages of parts, really I just want the engines and fuselages.

True, but I'm not familiar with MM enough to create a script for that. I'll contact the author of the control surfaces tweak and ask if he'll add that in though, making the change easier for folks down the road.

Hi. I think this does what you want to fix in H50.cfg and H50P.cfg using MM:

// Deployment fixes for B9 Utility Legs H50 and H50P for KSP 0.23
// 2014 Feb 03 Mon fixed code by Deadweasel
// 2014 Feb 16 Sun MM recoding by Jacke
//
// addon B9
// file H50.cfg
// part B9_Utility_Leg_H50
// file H50P.cfg
// part B9_Utility_Landing_Gear_H50P
//
@PART[B9_Utility_Leg_H50]:final
{
@module = Part
@animationName = leg_h50_toggle2
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = leg_h50_toggle2
startEventGUIName = Deploy
endEventGUIName = Retract
toggleActionName = Toggle gear
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}
}
@PART[B9_Utility_Leg_H50P]:final
{
@module = Part
@animationName = leg_h50_toggle
MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = leg_h50_toggle
startEventGUIName = Deploy
endEventGUIName = Retract
toggleActionName = Toggle gear
availableInEVA = True
EVArange = 10
}
}

(As you might guess, it's not my first time to this sort of rodeo. :))

The "@animationName = ..." lines outside of the MODULE sections aren't really needed because those are correct in the base B9 files, but I'd thought I'd leave them in due to the confusion over them previously.

EDIT: Found out Nabbs1 did the same back on Feb 9 in a post on the "B9 0.23 fixes?" thread.

Edited by Jacke
Update

For some reason the aerobreaks and payload bay can no longer open or close with the right click menu. Do I need to add something to the b9 config?

You need to update the .dll files for exurgent and firespitter if you haven't already, b9 hasn't been updated since .23 and those dlls need to be updated to work with .23, read elsewhere in the thread for instructions, links etc.

Winglets and stabilators seem to be pretty identical by stats and look, at least SW ones. Is the only difference that one moves with all its body and other has avionics on its back? And does it affect something with FAR?

Winglets and stabilators seem to be pretty identical by stats and look, at least SW ones. Is the only difference that one moves with all its body and other has avionics on its back? And does it affect something with FAR?

they have the same lift, and it would be realistic (being reaslitic is one of the main goals of FAR) to give them different steering/stalling behaviour.

You could try that out quite easy by building a plane with pitch control winglets/stabilators at the front and measure the takeoff speed. lower takeoff speed => higher steering power.