Challenging YouTubers! w/ HOCgaming and TheMattDennis - Submission Thread

Peak'd Cap Challenge: Land and balance a small lander atop the highest mountain in the near-KSC range. Can use a rocket or plane to deliver the lander with your choice/combo of chutes/powered landing. Only rule - no VTOL delivery vehicle!

Make a SSTO plane with ONLY 0.625M Parts (Exept Atmospheric engines, NCS Adapter, Wings, Structural stuff and intakes ...)

The plane should be controlled by a External Comand Seat !

So the mission is Simple :

- Take Off

- Get out of Atmosphere

- Make Orbital Stuff

- Go back in Kerbin

The winner is the guy who acheve the higer orbit and land the plane Without killing the pilot !

Edited by KamikazeF0X

create an atmospheric plane and then reach the highest point you can out of kerbin's atmosphere

land safely afterwards, at ksc or not, your choice

rules

- only atmospheric engines, no rocket engins

- you have to get a sub-orbital flight with the highest appoapsis,

- land safely after re-entry

tip- alternate between both atmospheric engines if flying vertical, sas helps when re-entering

Here's one; turn an Astroid into a fully functioning space rocket by tacking parts on with the Advanced Grabbing Unit. It must have a crew of three Kerbals, and it must be landed on the Mün.

As we speak* SpaceX is creating a rocket that will most likely dominate the space travel industry. It is Re-Usable! In order to compete with SpaceX you must create a similar but Not Exact design for a Reusable Rocket

Goals

Create a rocket that can:

• Lift 5 Tonnes into an inclined orbit (5pts)

• Return Every stage to the point where it lifted off (45 pts)**

Bonus:

• Have the Rocket`s payload dock with a fancy Space Station (2x score boost)

• Have a capsule that can land under it`s own power (3x Score boost) ((5x score boost if landed on the VAB Helipad))

• Have a different and unusual Design (20% Entertainment boost)

*Type

** Divide the points between the number of stages

Good luck!

NOTE BEFORE READING: I know you said no mods, but the three mods add challenge and realism to the quest here. Makes it harder (I think). Please do consider this despite the mods.

Mods needed: FAR (latest), Deadly Reentry (latest), Toolbar (so you can see the graphs for FAR)

Challenge: Create a hypersonic jet capable of at least Mach 4 (or faster) flight at 10 km (or higher, you're going to want higher).

Conditions:

-No SRBs or bipropellant engines

-No RAPIER engines, just normal jets

-No mods other than the aforementioned mods, aesthetic mods obviously not included

-No spamming intakes! In fact, you only really need two... (you can have more, but I can say from experience that only two are required for a great plane)

-No time-warp. I know that this means flying them is a long experience, but time warp at these altitudes rises your operation limit, and therefore is an unfair boost to the end results.

Bonus points (cause why not):

-Longevity-

*1/4 around Kerbin (10 points)

*1/3 around (15 points)

*1/2 around (20 points)

*3/4 around (25 points)

*circumnavigating (50 points)

-Speed-

*1500 m/s (10 points, good...)

*1600 m/s (15 points, nice... You matched the X-1 Dart)

*1700 m/s (20 points, so close... just a little more)

*X-2 Arrow's record: 1764 m/s (25 points, I'm humbled. Good to know that my slapped-together design can be beaten.)

*Mach 5.5 (50 points, OH MAH GERD, HOW YOU DOES?)

-Operation Limit (engines must be running)-

*15 km (5 points, you can do better than that)

*20 km (10 points, decent.)

*25 km (15 points, good around the same as the X-1 Dart)

*30 km (20 points, just below the X-2 Arrow)

*35 km (50 points, holy butts)

-Random stuff-

*Able to land without parachutes (20 points, major flaw of the Dart, it couldn't land traditionally because its glide speed was way too fast)

*"Hop" to 40 km (10 points, yeah... my momentum carried me up there on the ascent to 30 km with the Arrow.)

Notes:

It shouldn't be that hard really, the X-1 Dart was a complete accident and the X-2 Arrow was my trying to remember how the Dart was built (although, main wings were added in the Arrow). Watch your heating, engines get really hot at those altitudes without precoolers. Don't pitch up or down too fast before you get up high, it causes things to go boom into the ground after your wings get clipped off.

Edited by Storywalker4

Spy Satellite mission

Launch a single unmanned probe in a 500 km polar orbit with an eccentricity close to 0 and inclination of 90 degree from the mun

Satellite must weigth a maximum of 2 ton

Only one RTG is allowed

The Spy Satellite must have at least 2 dish one commutron 16 must be self sufficient must be able to send data on the nigth side since its a spying satellite

Satellite must include at least one ion engine and RCS

The Satellite orbit must be filled with debris so we cant say its there from map view. so it looks like this http://imgur.com/LmnukrD

The launcher must not use any SRB

Cause u said no mods its a bit easy i know but with Remote tech 2 it makes it alot more difficult and with hull cam u can place a camera and take picture of anomalies like a real Spy Satellite its up to u 2 mods RT2 and Hull Cam

Good luck

Edited by Itoum

How about an air to air refueling mission? Or another idea of mine that I have done as well is to land a jet inside of another jet and then land with said cargo back at KSC! Can be done all stock!

PROOF I've done these before!

Air2Air Refuel - SKIP To 28:45:

Land a Jet in a Jet:

Try to build an SSTO (something I know you both can do) which has VTAL capabilities, can function as a planetary and in-space refueler, and maybe carry a passenger or two. No time limit but kudos if you can do it in 35 minutes.

Your choice of:

-Asteroid Dodge ball/Catch/Hot Potato

-Asteroid Bowling

-Asteroid Parasite Racing (Fly to an asteroid, attach yourself to it, then get to the Mun as fast as possible. The louder the landing, the better)

As you may be able to tell, I really like asteroids...

I have a challenge: in this save is a fighter on the Mun and some targets, the objective being to damage the targets with the fighters torpedoes (I'll leave the scoring up to you guys but i request that the unit of score be "arbitrary score unit" (as in 1 arbitrary score unit, 2 arbitrary score units, etc) the fighter is the interesting bit. instead of having an engine at the back or on the bottom and RCS the fighter has 6 sets of thrusters each pointing a different way (i got the idea from Scott Manley's recent space fighter video //https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYPxJtra1ws). the action group setup is described on the curseforge page http://kerbal.curseforge.com/shareables/222112-mun-fighter-target-practice

do note that there is no quicksave file so f5 as soon as you load up the craft

"reinventing the wheel" or "the ARM race":

-complete 1 lap around KSC with a land vehicle

-the only rotating parts allowed are grabbers

-regular wheels may be used while building/testing

-best time or distance wins

(alteration of an idea I posted a while back)

Part 1: 15 minutes to design a ship that drops a rover on Minimus (should probably have a Kerbal or two on it)

Part 2: Land the rover on Minimus (quicksave)

Part 3: 15 minutes to get the most airtime by going off a hill and landing cleanly on wheels.

No propellant allowed in air.

Bonus for tricks?

Land on top of the VAB helipad and plant a flag as quickly as possible. Fastest mission time wins. It's pretty easy, so you can make several attempts or even redesigns. Should be fun.

Build a rover that can get to the top of the mountains to the west of KSC. First to the top wins.

Flying to the base of the mountain in order to drop off the rover should be permitted for time and convenience.

Edited by Orionkermin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.