Rubber Band Inc: Caterpillar tracks.

electronicfox

It would be interesting to have a pair of tracks that run on some sort of fuel (liquid fuel) almost like real life not just electricity but thats just an idea and it would be cool to have track shaped like tracks.jpg just another idea

fuel powered tracks is a possibility, as for the wall-e tracks, they won't be in the initial release, but maybe in future updates.

would it be possible to get tracks of the same style buy different slizes like long medium and short?

Probably in the future releases.

Heres a small update:

screenshot13.png

A bit of steep-slope testing (they work great).

screenshot14.png

Previously Squad claimed that it couldn't be done. Now electronicfox has proven that is CAN be done i'm sure they will.

That's what modding is for, showing the devs that they might be wrong about what's possible ^^

Now we might get some stock threads too later :D

Previously Squad claimed that it couldn't be done. Now electronicfox has proven that is CAN be done i'm sure they will.

Don't forget endlesswaves, he has a huge integral part in this. Without his coding this wouldnt have gone beyond theorizing ways that it might work. He brought the theories to fruition.

actually they did say they wanted to but it wasn't ready to e out it until after they finished the wheels

i mean after all the are big "world of tanks" fans

This is very cool, can't wait to use these. Going to be just perfect for my 'rover' FRANK (see pic/vid-link in sig)

By my Great Aunt's Petunias, that is sweeeeeeeeeet! Excellent job!

I fear your Great Aunt's Petunias are going to get crushed by many tracks!!

dont rush him other wise he will put it out and you guys will be mad because its not finished and not what you want(i want him to take his time making these tracks work and look great)

dont rush him other wise he will put it out and you guys will be mad because its not finished and not what you want(i want him to take his time making these tracks work and look great)

I have seen these mods be built and developed since 0.16, and that has never happened.

actually they did say they wanted to but it wasn't ready to e out it until after they finished the wheels

i mean after all the are big "world of tanks" fans

In all honesty I dont know what Squad said regarding caterpillar tracks, they are skilled devs and probably had some ideas on making their own tracks working, I just didnt want to wait for them to arrive on their terms xD

I honestly think the chevron treads look ugly: when flipped they face the wrong way. I would much rather have a horizontal bar tread or so that way it looks fine both directions.

I have noticed this problem, its a shame parts don't negatively scale when mirrored in SPH. To counter this I am considering making left/right tracks for all the side-mountable parts at the cost of slightly longer part loading times and less accuracy when placing the pieces opposite each other.

After going through all 12 pages I cant wait for the release. You have been asked this tons of times, but how much longer are we going to have to wait?

Im hoping to have the first release ready by the end of this week, this is not a guarantee though.

Oh come on... just release? I'll give you a cookie...

I prefer Jaffa Cakes, post a Jaffa cake through my door and I'll give you early access.

In all the time I've been on these forums, I dont think any amount of pleading or rushing has caused a mod to be released prematurely, if anything I find it to be a motivator to make things better when people really want to use something we're creating...

Edited by electronicfox

I have noticed this problem, its a shame parts don't negatively scale when mirrored in SPH. To counter this I am considering making left/right tracks for all the side-mountable parts at the cost of slightly longer part loading times and less accuracy when placing the pieces opposite each other.

Symmetry, dear Steinman. It's time we did something about symmetry...

The unity editor supports negative scaling so if the game does as well then it should be possible to set this up in a plugin.

EDIT:

Turns out to be nice and simple in the editor, now I just have to work out where it keeps the information as to how the part was attached in the flight scene.

Ur8ST3hl.jpg

How is it going with this mod?

We're getting there, still a couple of things on the todo list like remembering control settings and actually coming up with some sensible balance values (the tracks currently have identical stats).

What are peoples views on how heavy/robust/fast tracks should be and how much and which resources they should consume? For testing they're currently all but indestructible and carry 2000 electricity each so that obviously needs changing.

Edited by EndlessWaves

The larger, the heavier they obviously should be. As a start i would say 1 KMU of per support wheel in the track (including the drive wheels).

The smallest has 5 wheels so 5 KMU per track. This one has 6, so 6 KMU per track. The proof of concept has 10 so 10 KMU per track.

On the consumption, is it possibe to determine the load carried by the tracks (including their own mass)?

In general the larger the tracks the harder it is to move them. The larger the mass to move the more energie it costs to move the load.

I would say mass times a fixed number (when the mass is known).

Example: a 50 ton mass costs 50 x 1 (for the smallest track) per minute = 50, 50 X 1.2 for the above track and 50 x 2 for the proof of concept.

The tracks should be very robust but an overloaded (too big a mass) should disable the track (or explode).

Even tracks have a maximum amount they can carry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.