[AnyOS] KSP Mod Admin v2 - Mod install with a few clicks

MacTee

Suggestion:

Would it be possible/reasonable to add configurable sort fields? Something like the tags GMail uses for classifying mail.

EDIT:

Also, there is a brand-new mod by kevmo314 specifically addressing versionable (?word? It is now. :-) ) updating. You guys should get together and mod it out.

Edited by TranceaddicT

Hey All,

So I havent played KSP for awhile, meaning I also havent used KSPMA since 1.3.8....Been busy updating my personal list of KSP mods, and FINALLY got it all done over the last 4 days. SO I have 232 mods that I am going to go thru and see how many I can get installed and to run at the same time...LOL

Meaning I've started using KSPMA again... Using 1.3.10

Unfortunately, I noticed an issue right off.

- KSPMA is not automatically catching all the mods that do NOT go into the /Gamedata folder. I have some legacy mods that should go into /KSP_win, but KSPMA is just dumping them into /Gamedata anyway... :(

- Also, if I reset the destination for them to /KSP_win manually, they get installed properly, but then those mods do NOT show up in the Parts tab at all... :(

- Also, when removing these mods, KSPMA reports they are gone, not there, but it does NOT actually delete anything from the /KSP_win directories that is NOT in the /Gamedata. (So I have to manually go thru the folders and delete any non-/Gamedata folders)

I'll be playing with KSPMA over the next few days, so I'll update with anything else I may find...Hopefully nothing major... :) Cuz KSPMA is STILL the cat's meow... :)

Since I have a detailed spreadsheet of all the mods, I am marking which non-/Gamedata mods KSPMA is not installing properly, and which it MAY be installing correctly, so I'll be able to provide a list of all those mods, if it helps to track down why some do/do not get installed properly.

Edited by Stone Blue

Suggestion:

Proved a column which lists the .zip/.rar filename the mod is loaded from. Many times the creator will name the download file something that has no obvious relation to the mod created. Example: Impossible Innovations has a download file named Current-II-Release10.zip. If you want to accurately know what mod you are dealing with in KSPMA you: 1) have to remember which mod the d/l filename corresponds to or 2) rename the d/l file

I choose #2 ... most times. But, there are times I rush to add and gloss over this process. After that I have to hunt for the file or hit the SpacePort to identify the d/l.

@Durabys:

the welcome screen will only show up, if KSP MA don't finds any valid KSP Path in the KSP MA cfg (c:/ProgramData/KSPModAdmin/...)

or when there is no cfg file at all. KSP MA searches for older cfg files, in case of an update.

The screenshot looks like there is a valid KSP install path found in your KSP MA cfg file.

Does this KSP install (shown in the screen shot) has any mods installed (do you miss something) or was it a clean KSP install.

Could you explain me why you expect the welcome screen at this point? Do i miss something?

@TranceaddicT:

Thanks for the link to the mod of kevmo314.

I have discussed such an update mechanism here and in the german forum.

My last oppinion on that was and still is, that it is overpowered to download a complete web site just to fetch a date.

It'll cause extra traffic on the KSP SpacePort servers!

But since there are a lot of people who requests such a feature, i'll implemet it in on of the following versions.

(With a restriction of 1-2 update checks a day, i think.)

For now im quit busy and don't have much time left to work on KSP MA.

In the last weeks my priority was on my other project KSP MouseController, but i'll release a new version of KSP MC soon and then i'm back on KSP MA. =)

Additional Columns:

For now you have to use the Note column for your filename or tag. I'll add new columns later.

@Stone Blue:

Unfortunately, I noticed an issue right off.

- KSPMA is not automatically catching all the mods that do NOT go into the /Gamedata folder. I have some legacy mods that should go into /KSP_win, but KSPMA is just dumping them into /Gamedata anyway...

KSP MA don't check for legacy mods.

- Also, if I reset the destination for them to /KSP_win manually, they get installed properly, but then those mods do NOT show up in the Parts tab at all...

Yes, KSP MA don't look in other folders then Parts for parts :)

- Also, when removing these mods, KSPMA reports they are gone, not there, but it does NOT actually delete anything from the /KSP_win directories that is NOT in the /Gamedata. (So I have to manually go thru the folders and delete any non-/Gamedata folders)

ups - thats not the intended behavior - i'll have a look on that!

I'll be playing with KSPMA over the next few days, so I'll update with anything else I may find...Hopefully nothing major... Cuz KSPMA is STILL the cat's meow...

Since I have a detailed spreadsheet of all the mods, I am marking which non-/Gamedata mods KSPMA is not installing properly, and which it MAY be installing correctly, so I'll be able to provide a list of all those mods, if it helps to track down why some do/do not get installed properly.

That would be realy nice!

Well, i understand that KSPMA doesnt auto-install legacy mods...But I thought it is supposed to detect everything that does NOT match the new Gamedata structure, grey them out in the tree, and when you select them for install, you get the pop-up asking for the install location...???

And that is where my issue is coming from...???....That only happens with SOME of the legacy mods I'm trying...Others do NOT get greyed out, I get NO pop-up asking where to put them...KSPMA just goes ahead and puts them into Gamedata, even though they do not match the new folder structure....These are the ones that KSPMA tells me it uninstalls, yet the folders/files are all still there after uninstallation.

One GOOD side effect of this, is that there were a couple legacy mods that are SUPPOSEDLY supposed to go in the main KSP_win outside the Gamedata...But with KSPMA putting them in the Gamedata, I went ahead and tried them anyway...and they WORK in the Gamedata folder.. :)

So far I've tried about 90 mods, of the 236 I have....

@Stone Blue:

When i'm scaning a mod archive i look for KSP folders (like Parts, GameData, or any other folder which you can find in a clean KSP install).

When i don't find a KSP folder the mod will be displayed in gray.

I don't have any code line that checks if the mod could be a legacy mod or not. (If you know a generic way, i'll implemet it!)

I use this all the time but I've noticed that any mods i've repacked with 7zip are extremely slow to extract using this windows version. (LZMA2 defaults)

KSPMA uses SharpCompress to handle compressed file management. Most C# coders use this library. While 7zip has it's own SDK and is "...the best file compressor on the market...", the time difference that you should see will be at most 15 seconds.

Depending on how a Mod maker compresses (packages) their mod, if they choose "gimme the best uber compression you got", some people not running that software or on lower spec machines will see this type of problem.

If MacTee can give us a "recommended compression type" (IE: ZIP - default, RAR - normal, 7z - LZMA, etc.) for KSPMA, AND (here's the big problem) the Mod makers all use it to make KSPMA more efficient with their packaged mod, then you would see better performance. However, this really isn't MacTee's problem, he just has to deal with all the variables mod makers use, and he does! :D

M2CW? A 15 second delay is not worth the development time. :P My test VM which is simulating a Pentium1 with 512MB of memory takes 25 seconds to unpack NovaPunch. I can wait! :P

Edited by LeadMagnet

Hi. I had the same issue as Shadow651 and was about to post on the forum. I just downloaded the new test version posted in the previous message and that solved my issue. As a reference point, I am running version .22 of KSP on a Windows machine running Windows 8.1, 64 bit OS with 16 gb of memory. THANKS.

This is great! You're awesome. If you allow a suggestion, it's been quite a hassle lately with versions changing so often to update my whole list of mods, could you add some features regarding easing the work of updating mods? Something like a feature that would save the link to the spaceport/forum page of each mod and display the current version of the mod installed, allowing you to check, for each mod, if there's a new update to be installed. One could type the version manually upon installing the mod.

Finally, after an endless poking around in the dark, we did it.

KSP MA should now have no more problems with enlarged GUIs.

Thanks to all who helped with the bug hunt! :D

I will release a new version tonight (UTC+01:00). EDIT: (+ MCT +24h) :D

That will allow to add craft files via drag&drop or add dialog and an additional function in ModSelection contextMenu "Open selected mod folder" to open the selected folder if the mod is installed.

Next, I have planned an AutoUpdate for KSP MA and I also am working on a concept for the implementation of mod updateing.

Stay tuned :wink:

Edited by MacTee

Oh, that seems really to be hot stuff ... beside one little point.

There should be a Link available from each mod to the place where I can get updates.

The idea is: That I can click a little button beside the mod and jump to the linked site where I can see if or if not is an update available.

For later versions there could be a Spaceport update checker. But for now I like to skip the search in every mod.

What's new:

• GUI scaling bug now fixed (for real :wink:).
  • Open Folder Button in Context-Menu of ModSelection -> opens the selected installed folder if possible.
  • Adding of *.craft files via add dialog or drag & drop implemented.

What's new:

• GUI scaling bug now fixed (for real :wink:).
  • Open Folder Button in Context-Menu of ModSelection -> opens the selected installed folder if possible.
  • Adding of *.craft files via add dialog or drag & drop implemented.

Well done MacTee! I'll do my best to try and break it! :P

Now....about that coffee request!

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.