[0.21] OrbitalConstruction Redux 4.2 (Kethane + EL Compatibility Update)

Interfect

Feature request: A button to re-scan mass. If I dump a bunch of fuel prior to launch, I want that accurately reflected.

Another feature request: Ability to enter in exact coordinates for landing/hover sequence for land based construction facilities.

While an entry in the CFG would be the better way for the user, if not, I would suggest something around 5-6 km as default "extended range", this means not only would they spawn outside of lag-range, you could also ferry between them without ever having both constructs loaded at the same time.

Oh, and I wondered where in this thread can I find an idea about how many parts I need for what ship? I already found out it's not the vessel mass :D

Also not 125%, as 17,28 (test vehicle) needs 23.58... and not 21.6

Edited by cy-one

I am still unable to get this mod to work properly. I have a ship with the space dock module with enough spare parts, I prepare a ship with the space built module, select the desired dock with sufficient parts, click "build," the space built module blows up, and then nothing happens. It sits there looking very very sad. I've deleted the old files, reinstalled 4.2, and it continues to do the same thing. I've tried ships of multiple sizes, the smallest being a ship requiring 1.3xxxxx parts. I have searched for other people who have had the problem, and the one instance I found said that updating to 4.2 fixed the problem. I Created a log of just loading KSP and then trying to build a ship at the dock if anyone thinks it may help. Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated, as this is one of my favorite mods!

Edited by dangerdoug

While an entry in the CFG would be the better way for the user, if not, I would suggest something around 5-6 km as default "extended range", this means not only would they spawn outside of lag-range, you could also ferry between them without ever having both constructs loaded at the same time.

Oh, and I wondered where in this thread can I find an idea about how many parts I need for what ship? I already found out it's not the vessel mass :D

Also not 125%, as 17,28 (test vehicle) needs 23.58... and not 21.6

Oh that's ok. I made one that had six big rocketpart hexcans on it and it was only going to take about 14 parts... for a ship storing 1300 rocketparts... >.> Broken anybody?

Mhmkay, now i'm completely confused. The new ship costs 40+ tons of Shipparts. The yard has something about 8000+ parts... Is one part one kilogramm? (so, they currently have 8+ tons in space?)

The secret to this is in the density of the resource, which you can find in KSP\GameData\OrbitalConstruction Redux\Resources\RocketParts.cfg (and also in KSP\GameData\Extraplanetary Launchpads\Resources\ExtraSpaceCenters.cfg if you have EL installed)

The section

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = RocketParts
density = 0.0025 // parts are very fluffy. 0.5t/m^3
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
}

defines RocketParts, and sets their density to 0.0025 tonnes per volume unit (apparently 2 litres), so each unit of RocketPart resource weight 0.0025t, or 2.5kg, so yeah, you need 400+ parts per ton of ship you are building.

defines RocketParts, and sets their density to 0.0025 tonnes per volume unit (apparently 2 litres),

5l, or 200u/m3.

From the EL resource definitions file:

//These densities work on the assumption that 1m^3 holds 200u of resource.

I made a ship with the space dock, the large warehouse and got it into space. Next I made a ship with 50 parts. when I went to launch the ship, it says I need 25. When I go to build it in space, it fails, saying lack of parts.... fun.

So I use hyperEdit and cheats for parts. I got back to my second ship and it takes 10005 parts.

I'm fine with it taking that much but why does it say 25?

This is an excellent mod, but I'm having a weird problem - at the launchpad with craft that have the spacebuilt part, the "Scan for docks" option only shows me the Munar and Kerbin orbital warehouses, when there's one out at Minmus as well (I know, I know, I like to get infrastructure everywhere). I've tried moving the minmus one into Kerbin orbit and it still doesn't show up, so I don't think it's just that you can't build at Minmus ever. Is there a limit on the number of docks you can have up at one time, or has my KSP/orbital construction just bugged out?

You know...I'm just going to edit a few part files. I don't feel like having to scrounge up materials for my rockets to be built, so I cna just have everything I need, built with ease.

Well, as KSP is a single player game, do what you think you need to do. There is no need to justify any actions in front of anybody but yourself. :D

Well, if you're able to dock, consider it an opportunity to add more warehouse space!

You know what, I hadn't even considered that you could use multiple warehouse parts on the same ship - guess I just assumed you used the 150t or the 400t and that was it. Which is a silly assumption now I think about it, but not as silly as forgetting to put a space dock on your space dock. The thought of how many kethane runs I'd have to make to a >550t warehouse kind of fills me with dread, though.

You know what, I hadn't even considered that you could use multiple warehouse parts on the same ship - guess I just assumed you used the 150t or the 400t and that was it. Which is a silly assumption now I think about it, but not as silly as forgetting to put a space dock on your space dock. The thought of how many kethane runs I'd have to make to a >550t warehouse kind of fills me with dread, though.

I found that out the old version, for minor uses you can even use the cans with 10 or 25 ton parts. Nice way to deploy satellites or probe landers.

Also the kethane 3d printer is more for minor use, mine for ore and smelt if you want serious quantities.

Ah, but I don't have EL installed, and I'm fairly certain the version of orbital construction I'm running is the one previous to the EL compatibility update that added ore - I had a warehouse with a load of parts in kerbin orbit, and didn't fancy them being reduced to 1/400th of their original quantity. I'll probably update kethane and orbital construction when I've depleted all my warehouses (or wait till .22 comes out and have a positive orgy of updating things and going "oh no, I've borked KSP"), but till then it's kethane only. That said, it occurred to me that landing a medium warehouse with a mining unit + 3d printer on the bottom, gets you fairly reasonable quantities fairly quickly at around x10 warp - and it's a hell of a lot easier getting spare parts modules from the surface of minmus/mun to orbiting warehouses than it is from kerbin. In the sense that most of my attempts at getting >50t of spareparts into kerbin orbit result in the lifter just falling apart on the pad (I think it's something to do with how heavy the parts are compared to their size on Kerbin, since I can get similar-weighing but 'bigger' payloads into orbit no problem).

I might see if using the part cans as mini-warehouses still works though, that's a pretty decent idea for smaller vessels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.