The MachingBird Challenge!

Well I didn't go as fast as I'd have liked, turns out I was looking at my orbital speed before, I will need to work on a faster craft.

My plane on the runway, horizontal:

http://i.imgur.com/NoXCerP.jpg

Taking off:

http://i.imgur.com/j3AAEqy.jpg

Getting hot up here:

http://i.imgur.com/UgDIXcO.jpg

Top speed over land was 2227m/s:

http://i.imgur.com/dmxaz1D.jpg

Don't know if my attempts counts as stock or mod but i only use steam gauges. Anyway here is my attempt on the short time i found to play KSP.

The X-1 on the runway with Bill as the pilot

MVUWibX.jpg

Halfway there

0TuLB66.jpg

Flight log

Tp5Z4d9.png

Speed 2065m/sec after that the engines flamed out. When i get the time i'll try again.

Yay, another challenge I can get behind! First effort (literally 10 minute slap-together of parts, and most of that time was hunting through the mass of mod parts I have for the stock bits) got in the neighborhood of 2180 before I ran out of fuel. Time to add drop tanks! Also, I'm curious, I see loads of planes here with 3 or more engines and hundreds of intakes. Is that required to get into the ludicrous speed class? I did ~2180 with a single engine and 6 intakes (and mechjeb for very, very fine control.)

*snip* I see loads of planes here with 3 or more engines and hundreds of intakes. Is that required to get into the ludicrous speed class? *snip*

Well, no, but it helps. The higher you go, the less air, the more intakes you need to go faster. I've often wondered what the speeds would be if the intake number was based on the number of engines you have. IE: 2 engines = 6 intakes MAX (or whatever TheHengeProphet decides, if at all).

I have been trying more attempts, using less parts and a 2 to 1 on intakes to engines. So far 2100 is around the max, but I'm working on it! :D

I sooooooo badly want 2400!!!! (manned, no mods, no exploits)

"I'm givin her all she's got Captain!"....."Well all she's got isn't good enough!" :D

I'm starting to think it's required after all. I can get up to 2200 without too much effort (6 intakes, 1 engine, same as always), but I cap out at like 2204 or so. That's not even on the charts. I added an extra 2 engines (no new intakes) that I fire at 25km but it seems all that does is foul up mechjeb's altitude stability so it rapidly goes past 30km and then suborbital. I forgot to add a solar panel to keep attitude control so when I came back into the atmosphere I was backwards and broke up. I figured super lightweight would be the way to go, but it looks like I'm gonna have to air-hog it.

Try to hold your altitude at 25-27K, I seem to get my best results here. Also take it real slow getting up there. Let the speed increase as much as it can before increasing altitude. My attempt took me 30 minutes to get to cruise altitude, 2 to get my HSOL to 2300m/s.

Lightweight is also a very good idea. Try using girders and beams to balance things out. Check out m1xte's design! epic!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/27296-The-MachingBird-Challenge!?p=350545&viewfull=1#post350545

My attempt, 2384m/s (2289 over land)

Might have fuzzed the lines a bit using Oxidizer in the take off but it was purely for entertainment and doesnt affect the flight later on obviously.

http://imgur.com/a/6nIJA

Yes, you did fuzz the lines there, but... I'll accept it this once... Your final speed was the 2289 m/s, for the final record, by the way.

Well I didn't go as fast as I'd have liked, turns out I was looking at my orbital speed before, I will need to work on a faster craft.

My plane on the runway, horizontal:

http://i.imgur.com/NoXCerP.jpg

You're really blurring the definition of horizontal takeoff from the runway there. Technically, this was from above the runway, and I unfortunately cannot set a precedent of people using launch clamps to gain a height advantage. I hope you understand.

Don't know if my attempts counts as stock or mod but i only use steam gauges. Anyway here is my attempt on the short time i found to play KSP.

Steam Gauges do not modify the craft or allow any autopilot funcitonality, so I'll mark it as stock.

I'm glad everyone's having such a great time trying this challenge out!

You're really blurring the definition of horizontal takeoff from the runway there. Technically, this was from above the runway, and I unfortunately cannot set a precedent of people using launch clamps to gain a height advantage. I hope you understand.

Hmm, not really, as you can see here I need that height to prevent scraping off my intakes.

But no matter, I have had another go ;)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It's called the Untitled Space Craft.

Edited by sal_vager

Hmm, not really, as you can see here I need that height to prevent scraping off my intakes.

But no matter, I have had another go ;)

Alright, your entry has been added! As for the launch clamp thing, I just can't have people getting the idea that they can plop a launch clamp down some significant distance above the runway and get around the difficulty of getting their plane off the tarmac.

just an idea why don't you link the submission to there place in the op?

1. I don't know how too do that and have never bothered to look it up.

2. I don't want to have to go all the way back through and link everyone.

question can we use srb assisted lift off?

I should say no, but that means that I'll have to disqualify LeFudge. If you do, maintain your resource tab open during all screenshots (should be done anyways, but I've been slightly lax on that req.) and show when you stage them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to see the MachingBird Challenge without airhogging at all.

Limiting people to only one intake per engine would make sense to me.

(could be checked by showing the intake air resource maximum, I suppose)

Although maybe adding another category would be too complex.

Maybe it fits a full realism challenge a little more, with FAR and deadly re-entry mandatory (poor kerbals :sealed:)

Nice challenge, I really enjoyed it, I made an attempt but the pictures are on my other computer, and I think I forgot to leave the resource tab open, so I'll probably just try again over the weekend (busy with football right now). Anyway, I think I got like 2300, and @visari, I think that that would be a good addition to the leaderboard, one section without air hogging (1-2 intakes per engine) and it would really lower the scores, might be interesting to see what designs people come up with to increase their speed.

Edited by TTurchan1

Nice challenge, I really enjoyed it, I made an attempt but the pictures are on my other computer, and I think I forgot to leave the resource tab open, so I'll probably just try again over the weekend (busy with football right now). Anyway, I think I got like 2300, and @visari, I think that that would be a good addition to the leaderboard, one section without air hogging (1-2 intakes per engine) and it would really lower the scores, might be interesting to see what designs people come up with to increase their speed.

I'm looking forward to your entry!

Also, IF enough people decide to make entries for a 1:1 subsection, I might make one exist, but I don't see much reason to make a category for one or two entries alone. The reason there ARE categories as such is due to that there were many entries of those categories before the forum setback. As it is, entries are somewhat stagnant, in general...

*snip*

Well, that solves #1.

Well, I lost the pictures of my legitimate entry, so I will have to do that again, but here is exploitation entry (all stock) that did fairly well imo:

BagCh0w.jpg

xHaT7HU.jpg

qyL1GRk.jpg

UHnJNKL.jpg

TjKwSiB.jpg

The craft was not named in the flight, but my name for it is the "AYKM mk1" (no quotes).

It's final top speed was, 421,951m/s.

Edited by TTurchan1

That doesn't at all imply that you can't leave Kerbin's SOI. And I was basing my highest speed off the "Highest Speed Over Land" part of the flight log.

I disagree. It does very much imply that. The whole point of the challenge is "Highest Speed Over Land". If you're leaving the planet, your not doing the challenge.

IMHO...this is uber-cheaty, not in the spirit of the challenge. However, the OP does have uber-cheaty categories. I would say this attempt is no good, but try again for #1 cheat slot :D Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those!

How do you get from 5 km/s at the top of the atmosphere (totally legit-seeming via infiniglide) up to 421 km/s? Where's your extra thrust coming from? Changing the SOI should only get you at best from 5 km/s above Kerbin to 11 km/s above the sun, if you aim just right.