Cupcake's Dropship Dealership...

Yeah, I briefly thought about that. Then I realized all the heavy equipment was at that end, and it would take twice as many separatrons to get enough torque. In any case, my base pack already provides a lot of litter to clear from the tracking station (or with explosives if you use KIS!) when you decouple the extra legs from the corridors.

Rune. It's shaping up to be the most reliable deployment method.

Ah right, although I guess you can add another fuel tank at the bottom and split the engines 2 up/2 down to even the mass. :wink:

Cupcake...

Did "Ice Run One" With a Moth, but only after building a small base and landing a rover. That package is great!

Photos soon, but let's just say I shed some weight...

Did "Ice Run One" With a Moth, but only after building a small base and landing a rover. That package is great!

Photos soon, but let's just say I shed some weight...

Looking forward to seeing the pics! :D As it happens I've been doing a wee bit of base building myself. :wink:

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Looking forward to seeing the pics! :D As it happens I've been doing a wee bit of base building myself. :wink:

Cupcake...

Haha! That was great!

You've done it again!

My sister is now learning how to fly in KSP, and she likes the moths!

holy kerballs that was amazing! Uber inspirational.

Thanks man! :D

Haha! That was great!

You've done it again!

My sister is now learning how to fly in KSP, and she likes the moths!

Tell your sister she's got excellent taste. :wink:

Cupcake... Edited by Cupcake...

Cupcake...

That was a very cool video. Now I want to see what you can come up with as a modular base!

Rune. Those things are tons of fun to build.

That was a very cool video. Now I want to see what you can come up with as a modular base!

Rune. Those things are tons of fun to build.

It was fun, although truth be told I think I'd rather build more dropships over bases. :wink:

Cupcake...

...I think I'd rather build more dropships over bases...

You're going to build a base that builds dropships? Sweet! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I feel obligated to put this here in order to fill a hole in all of our (or at least some of our) hearts.

It has nothing to do with dropships, but it has something to do with Cupcake.

You're going to build a base that builds dropships? Sweet! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I feel obligated to put this here in order to fill a hole in all of our (or at least some of our) hearts.

It has nothing to do with dropships, but it has something to do with Cupcake.

You stole the Mun! :0.0: What about the tides? How am I going to go fishing now?! ;.;

Cupcake...

You stole the Mun! :0.0: What about the tides? How am I going to go fishing now?! ;.;

Cupcake...

Explosives you n00b! ;-P That's how Jeb did it, that's how KSC does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. ;)

On a more serious note. Thanks for cranking out all these great videos and craft.

Don't worry! I gave it back.

You'd better have. :mad:

Explosives you n00b! ;-P That's how Jeb did it, that's how KSC does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far. ;)

On a more serious note. Thanks for cranking out all these great videos and craft.

Dynamite fishing!? That's not very sporting now, is it? :P Thankyou for the lovely feedback though. :D

Cupcake...

Welp, you finally convinced me to try my hand at VTOL-making.

mDWxuPe.png

Tadpole mk. 2 (Mk. 1 died due to me not managing fuel flow correctly.)

Capable of a Munar mission from LKO (tested from LMO using HyperEdit 'cos I didn't want to build that much rocket, but given that the whole craft has about 3,000 m/s of dV, it could easily make the transfer to the Mun, land, take pictures, and come back. Shame I forgot the parachute.)

ry9DOSh.png

Crab Mk. 2. (Mk. 1 was pointless. Mk. 2 could at least technically be used as a crew transfer vehicle.)

Another one capable of Mun and back again. This one even has a parachute!

Well, it's back to my comfort zone for me (SSTO), but this has proved... quite the lesson on building vacuum landers.

Apologies for the the delay gentlemen it's been a bit of a busy week. :P

Welp, you finally convinced me to try my hand at VTOL-making.

http://i.imgur.com/mDWxuPe.png

Tadpole mk. 2 (Mk. 1 died due to me not managing fuel flow correctly.)

Capable of a Munar mission from LKO (tested from LMO using HyperEdit 'cos I didn't want to build that much rocket, but given that the whole craft has about 3,000 m/s of dV, it could easily make the transfer to the Mun, land, take pictures, and come back. Shame I forgot the parachute.)

http://i.imgur.com/ry9DOSh.png

Crab Mk. 2. (Mk. 1 was pointless. Mk. 2 could at least technically be used as a crew transfer vehicle.)

Another one capable of Mun and back again. This one even has a parachute!

Well, it's back to my comfort zone for me (SSTO), but this has proved... quite the lesson on building vacuum landers.

Very nice! I especially like the Mk2 Tadpole! :wink: It may be worth considering moving the top docking port back a bit so it doesn't get in the way of the cockpit. As long as it's pointing directly upwards it doesn't strictly have to be on the center of mass. Speaking of which the materials bay looks cool but that's something that probably should be on the center of mass/thrust as it'll have quite a bit effect on the balance, it could even be worth having one on each side. Anyway, keep up the great work, it'll be fantastic to see more dropship/landers from you. :D

http://i.imgur.com/ugji4zy.jpg

Hey Cupcake, I've been experimenting with a Duna SSTO dropship (VTOL of course :))

http://i.imgur.com/s1NqsLY.jpg

It can (with a quick top-off of the tanks) easily go from surface to orbit and back, with cargo!

Nice job man! :cool: I'm also experimenting with large dropship designs and to be honest I'm finding it quite difficult as I'm not used to building so big, and the new Mk3 parts are just gigantic! :blush: But yes, very nice design looks like you're way ahead of me here, keep at it!

Cupcake...

Anyone remember the bulldog? No? Well, anyway the design is receiving a 1.0 upgrade. Sometimes you just gotta go big or go home. :)

5bcz278.jpg

I'm still not sure if I can pull it off but I'm trying to do something quite ambitous with this design. The plan is to split it into head, tail and drive sections all of which can be interchanged.

ka4SVYM.jpg

In theory at least it means the chasis can be extended to make a huge number of varients while still retaining perfect balance.

9U1mj9j.jpg

Wish me luck! :wink:

Cupcake...

Anyone remember the bulldog? No?

Oh... I remember the Bulldog alright!

2013-11-08a.jpg

Wouldn't be able to get away with that sort of thing now! :sticktongue:

I'm still not sure if I can pull it off but I'm trying to do something quite ambitous with this design. The plan is to split it into head, tail and drive sections all of which can be interchanged.

In theory at least it means the chasis can be extended to make a huge number of varients while still retaining perfect balance.

9U1mj9j.jpg

This sounds hugely exciting! This would be your largest dropship you've ever produced, and mission configurable to boot!

I'd definitely love to see this successor to the old workhorse!

Good Luck! :)

Edited by The14th
pedantic formatting

Anyone remember the bulldog? No? Well, anyway the design is receiving a 1.0 upgrade. Sometimes you just gotta go big or go home. :)

http://i.imgur.com/5bcz278.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ka4SVYM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9U1mj9j.jpg

Cupcake...

Looks good man! I've got a couple tips for large dropships (since small onces have never been my thing :P).

1.Chutes are a necessary evil, at least for any dropship going to Kerbin, Laythe or Duna.

2.(A little more picture-specific) Aerospikes work great for LF/O VTOLs, since they now weigh about the same as an LVT-45, and have only a slightly lower TWR with much better ASL and Vacuum ISP.

3.Landing burns start much earlier than with smaller VTOLs (increased mass due to size and cargo).

4.I always add a nose-and-tail mounted set of small (pre-9.0/1.0) landing gear to help prevent hard landings from wrecking the ship.

5.Going overkill with RCS/Vernors is good, since large dropships love to buck easily the second you hamhand the controls. (That, and fuel flow, even if it is balanced, can alter the TWR to the point where a tiny burn sends you flying 200 meters up. :P)

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

Wishing you luck :D
It looks funny but in a cool way, in a Kerbal way. ^^

Thanks guys! :D

Oh... I remember the Bulldog alright!

Wouldn't be able to get away with that sort of thing now! :sticktongue:

This sounds hugely exciting! This would be your largest dropship you've ever produced, and mission configurable to boot!

I'd definitely love to see this successor to the old workhorse!

Good Luck! :)

Thanks for that pic, it's actually really cool to see the two models side by side, hopefully I've managed to capture some of the original's spirit in the new model. :)

Those poodle engines are monsters at thrust. I have a 70 ton lander with 4 poodles TWR is like 2.4 or something. And they are relatively efficient for the weight. I love it. Hope the bulldog works. Great for you ;)

I really like them! Great all round engine, the only weak point is the awful athmo performance which doesn't make then very good for Duna. :(

Looks good man! I've got a couple tips for large dropships (since small onces have never been my thing :P).

1.Chutes are a necessary evil, at least for any dropship going to Kerbin, Laythe or Duna.

2.(A little more picture-specific) Aerospikes work great for LF/O VTOLs, since they now weigh about the same as an LVT-45, and have only a slightly lower TWR with much better ASL and Vacuum ISP.

3.Landing burns start much earlier than with smaller VTOLs (increased mass due to size and cargo).

4.I always add a nose-and-tail mounted set of small (pre-9.0/1.0) landing gear to help prevent hard landings from wrecking the ship.

5.Going overkill with RCS/Vernors is good, since large dropships love to buck easily the second you hamhand the controls. (That, and fuel flow, even if it is balanced, can alter the TWR to the point where a tiny burn sends you flying 200 meters up. :P)

Thanks for the tips mate, really apreciate it! I'll let you know how I get on. :wink:

It's really amazing to have such positive feedback thanks everyone. :cool:

Well, development is continuing. I've made a 2nd drive section using a LF/LX tank and this model managed to land from Tylo orbit and return again without drop tanks which I'm really happy about. How you'd get 50 tons of ship to Tylo in the first place is something I haven't quite worked out but we'll ignore those fiddly details for now, eh? :blush:

9zq3SsF.jpg

Also under development is a little RCS powered tug/base builder which is shaping up quite nicely.

fFc4wg5.jpg

The plan is to hopefully have both craft ready for release at the same time.

UqOcekS.jpg

Righto, bye for now! :)

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

Thanks guys! :D

Thanks for that pic, it's actually really cool to see the two models side by side, hopefully I've managed to capture some of the original's spirit in the new model. :)

I really like them! Great all round engine, the only weak point is the awful athmo performance which doesn't make then very good for Duna. :(

Thanks for the tips mate, really apreciate it! I'll let you know how I get on. :wink:

It's really amazing to have such positive feedback thanks everyone. :cool:

Well, development is continuing. I've made a 2nd drive section using a LF/LX tank and this model managed to land from Tylo orbit and return again without drop tanks which I'm really happy about. How you'd get 50 tons of ship to Tylo in the first place is something I haven't quite worked out but we'll ignore those fiddly details for now, eh? :blush:

http://i.imgur.com/9zq3SsF.jpg

Also under development is a little RCS powered tug/base builder which is shaping up quite nicely.

http://i.imgur.com/fFc4wg5.jpg

The plan is to hopefully have both craft ready for release at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/UqOcekS.jpg

Righto, bye for now! :)

Cupcake...

That mini-dropship looks really sleek. I like. :D

Glad to hear the big one is Tylo-capable!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.