Gliders anyone

bsalis

Just wondering if anyone else has played around with gliders.

I know people have done SSTO spaceplanes, regular powered planes, VTOLs, rovers, and every kind of rocket imaginable. But has anyone done (unpowered) gliders?

If you create craft with proper wing angles and proper balance, you can get a plane to glide in a nice big slow spiral dive. I have some pics here of a glider and the tug drone...

8705808409_34b0b86403_c.jpg

8705810487_a91d8c64b4_c.jpg

8705809283_d83740668b_c.jpg

Next big thing mebe?

Think a few might be waiting for them to put in a better aerodynamic model. there are several ways to "infiniglide". That being said, that's a right nice aireoplane you got there :D

That makes me wonder if the future weather model will include updrafts and thermals, in appropriate places.

Imagine the Jeb approach to hang gliding.

"Jeb, why is there a hang glider and a SRB in the back of my truck?...."

"Jeb?"

• 1 year later...
That makes me wonder if the future weather model will include updrafts and thermals, in appropriate places.

Imagine the Jeb approach to hang gliding.

"Jeb, why is there a hang glider and a SRB in the back of my truck?...."

"Jeb?"

erm, my best glider design pretty much is that:)8ayEpko.png?1

I've not done much gliding on Kerbin because I find it all a bit too slow (unless you break out the ol' control surface exploits). I do try to glide shuttles in, but don't always hit the right mark and have to use some jet thrust to reach the runway. If I'm on target for the runway I feel like I'm going to just drop out of the sky 'cos I'm moving so slowly! But that is a fairly heavy craft with a fairly low lift to weight ratio.

My best gliding experience was on Duna. I did a landing on Duna which after the deorbit burn was totally unpowered. That was really fun and I got to see a lot of Duna while I (desperatly) searched for a flat enough place to land. Gently trading of altidude and speed, it seemed more like actual gliding that my experiences on Kerbin so far (but as I said, I've not done a lot of Kerbin gliding).

The craft was basically a tons of wings so it had a lot of lift, it had power, but that was for its ascent back to orbit.

LlhP2Dsl.jpgaONq6oGm.jpg

Edit: Oh god didn't notice the necro :(

Hey i'm not dead, i'm still here.... and finally my thread is getting the attention it deserves.

Congrats katateochi on your Duna landing - most impressive. My last glide landing on Duna did not go so well. Possibly because it was not a purpose built Duna glider.

5thHorseman... i have no words.

EtagD1n.jpg

Motor-glider! Get to altitude on solar-recharged battery power, fold the little Firespitter prop away, and glide. No messy rockets, no playing with staging, and best of all, no water-crash-landings cause you couldn't get to land.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.