Gravity (Movie)

Zacho

Having no friends that are interested in space things kinda sucks. ;.;

What about I make a roadtrip to Ontario and go watch it with you.

Okay no creeper Chris, not cool. Though yeah, the movie looks like it has an awesome plot (not so sure about scientific exactitude, though I can disregard that). I'll have to drag one of my friends to go see it with me.

I understand everything about physics and I would not say the physics were Star Wars like. They were a little inaccurate, we didn't really get all the info to even make that statement. Anyway the movie was great, it didn't make me yell at all. The EVAs were pretty cool. Just go see the movie and you will change you opinion.

I understand everything about physics and I would not say the physics were Star Wars like. They were a little inaccurate, we didn't really get all the info to even make that statement. Anyway the movie was great, it didn't make me yell at all. The EVAs were pretty cool. Just go see the movie and you will change you opinion.

So you understand everything about physics? I nominate you to the 2014 nobels award!

On a more related matter, these kinds of movies are always gonna have something us geeks will complain about. No matter how hard the director tries to get it right. Like Europa Report. I complained so much, even though it wasn't so bad. I think i might have OCD or something lol :P

Overall its a good movie any space enthusiast should see.

Two things had me peeved regarding accuracy:

Hubble orbiting synchronously with the ISS

Burning directly towards an object orbiting behind, instead of burning prograde to lower angular velocity

I've finally read the script I've chosen to ignore until the premiere. The basic story is there, but it's a lot different in the details from what we get in the final product.

One thing that has struck me is the large amount of banal scientific inaccuracies compared to the movie. Whoever the scientific advisors were, they've did a hell of a job. Without them the movie would be annoying.

Some great details were left out and I think that's a shame. I'll just name one of them - the frog. It is shown in the movie, but it is not explained. The script explains it all.

deorbit a station its a big deal, when mir deorbited it came in one piece but it safely crashed into the ocean, however the ISS is way bigger and it those giant solar panels seem like will easily ripoff during a reentry, so when we deorbit Iss we may have "reorganize" the station before reentry, i dont think that we will bring one module at the time because a lot of missions will be required and will cost a lot of money, but for the moment we can just speculate

I enjoyed this movie. Amazing visual effects. The orbital mechanics were inaccurate but this is probably as close to real space movies we'll ever get. I wasn't a big fan of the astronauts back story, I just wanted to see some crazy EVA action scenes.

deorbit a station its a big deal, when mir deorbited it came in one piece but it safely crashed into the ocean, however the ISS is way bigger and it those giant solar panels seem like will easily ripoff during a reentry, so when we deorbit Iss we may have "reorganize" the station before reentry, i dont think that we will bring one module at the time because a lot of missions will be required and will cost a lot of money, but for the moment we can just speculate

It came in one piece? I don't think so.

Mir_reentry.jpg

ISS is not much bigger than Mir. They are quite similar in size if you remove the solar panels and focus on the modules.

And Gravity, it's the most accurate space movie ever made and I doubt we'll see something better, ever. The movie simply had to ignore some facts about orbital mechanics because otherwise the plot would fail completely. Other than that, this is pure gold.

And it is definitely worth the price for 3D or IMAX. I didn't spend for the IMAX, I wish I would of however.

Only problem was before I ever played KSP, I knew nothing of orbital mechanics and would not of realized the movie was impossible. But it was so well made I could forgive them (think of it, you are probably the only person in your theater who knows this....so just go with the flow and enjoy it!) to tell such a cool survival story. The effects will make you want to go home and play KSP all night afterward. My wife commented during the movie that "Wow, that looks like that Kerbal game you play..."

Of course now I must build a space station and a kessler bomb.......like JPLPGAMES did.....Maybe a Shuttle.....A telescope....

Gotta go, KSP is calling......:confused::cool::)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.