What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I just started remote tech a week ago, Bob's/Felbourn on the forum helped me quite a bit:

1. get 3 geostatsats in orbit

2. launch a couple of gps like satelites with a 2 hour interval in a polar orbit.

3. Add a highly eccentric polar orbit (molnya) to every body where you are planning to go to.

4. repeat step 1 and 2 for all these bodies, though geostat is not required

and you're good to go.

Thank you! I've tried mr. Manley's way to launch them (IQ-2 or 3, I believe), but managed to fail somehow. Twice. That guide should help.

I used FAR to attempt a spaceplane.

Are these speeds normal? I ask because I can barely get a plane off the deck in vanilla and I just got FAR. (It is nice)

YDTc1wq.png

EDIT:This plane lost some parts then aimed down. It exploded when I tried to nose it up again. Other than a jet car that may be the fastest and lowest thing I have ever made.

SUPER EDIT:I got this pile to space. It has jet fuel forever, but barely enough rocket fuel for orbit. I can probably get it back.

wt06LGh.png

3hfqc95.png

NUCLEAR EDIT: The next one needs some drouge chutes:(

Edited by Major "zubb" Tom

At this point, you'll want to start the slimming down process of the design. Try getting a few orbits, and monitor how much excess jet fuel you have. Then in the SPH, reduce that excess fuel from your starting fuel tank. It also looks like you could get rid of about half of those struts. Weight on small SSTO's is a huge clincher!

-Khorso

Worked on my stock orion it can get into orbit from kerbin to any planet or moon and can land on all planets and most moons and it can get to orbit from all planets but jool, eve, and eeloo, and it can reach orbit from all moons except jool moons (runs out of the second stage fuel after duna apogee).

I failed to build ComSat network around the Kerbin. RemoteTech is hard.

In addition to the already mentioned stuff: If you use MapSat as well make your mapping satellites carry one of the small foldout dishes, the largest antenna you got and whatever you need to reach Kerbin and your relays there from the intended destination. That way your mapping satellite which needs a highly inclined orbit anyway can also act as a com relay.

Saves time, effort and ram.

I put a satellite in Moho orbit today. I think I could have landed too, but I wasn't going to risk the mission.

D4XaTY6.png?1

It turns out getting to Moho isn't that bad with an Eve gravity assist. I hardly used the LV-N at all. I'll probably send a lander with the same rocket.

My space program now has over 600k funds. I'll finally be able to fund my big expensive rockets!

Are these speeds normal? I ask because I can barely get a plane off the deck in vanilla and I just got FAR. (It is nice)

One of the cool things about FAR and NEAR is that is gets rid of the "soupy" exaggerated air density at low altitudes that come with the stock game, so you can accelerate your vehicles a lot more easily from sea level. of course, the other side of that coin is that you can no longer rely on the magic "cushion" of air to catch your re-entering vehicles and slow them down to ~100 m/s as in stock.

anyway, tonight i finalized several designs for an upcoming Munbase (3 down, 4 to go, it's 10x as much effort as i originally planned), including a new rover:

usmhermes.png

i'm particularly happy with the rover since in the past the great majority of my rover designs have been characterized by questionable COMs, improptu aerobatics, "what just exploded?", etc. but this one for once actually just worked great more or less from the start; it's stable, it's fast, it can be delivered easily with a simple sky-crane, it's well-equipped with various gizmos, it's TAC- and KAS-compliant, and just generally works well. hopefully it will show up in more places than just the Mun at a later date.

BJ Quest I don't see any karbonite antenna, I see 2 SCANSat antenna, DMagic Imager and what could be KDEX but no Karbonite antenna.

No antenna on these particular ships. I can get one Karboite antenna on the top satellite of the stack but have not figured out a good way yet to do them all (side mounting would work). However I am thinking on that issue. It may be more effect to have a karbonite antenna on ships that go out to mine karbonite. Possible? I do have two small ships that I have been experimenting with in finding and mining the Mun but currently not able to mine enough to get back to Kerbin. Probable solution - make bigger ships to hold more fuel or created fuel. No current screen shot of these ships yet.

Respectfully - BJ Quest

Edited by BJ Quest

I put a satellite in Moho orbit today. I think I could have landed too, but I wasn't going to risk the mission.
Nicely done. I was content to just have my probes whizz past it, and that was likewise having taken an Eve gravity assist.

Just now I set said probes on course for Eve again. Having taken different routes in they actually passed by Moho within about an hour of each other, but now they diverge again, with one set for Eve right away and the other waiting several orbits. I'm hoping to get them to fly past Duna and beyond.

Made a SSTOAL today. Single Stage to Orbit and Landing. By accident.

I was just testing the core of a new booster I was building, and found it would enter orbit under it's own weight, but yet still had 1k dv left. Scary thing was there was so much thrust (9.5 twr) upon landing, it was in free fall till the engines were lower than the water tower. Then *POOF* Graceful landing at 10g's.

screenshot9_zps29e46713.png

Now the engineers are just trying to figure out what to do with it. The crawler can't get to that side of the launch pad, and they don't have anything big enough to lay it down!

Edited by gargamel

First I got stranded in orbit around Mun with my space crane. I had parked it in orbit and was time accelerating to a maneuver node, and neglected to notice it was pointing away from the Sun for multiple orbits, allowing the battery to drain...

So I mounted a rescue. I attempted to use an experimental space plane for the rescue. For the first time I managed to get my space plane in actual orbit, rather than a sub orbital. It was docking with the Kerbalnational Space station. Ran out of fuel 4 meters away from docking...

Called it a day.

Made a ground-attack aircraft with BD's Armory and various other mods. Handles pretty nice, and has a hidden bomb-bay with 2 bombs in it. Then I sent another satellite to Eve to survey for mining. Another successful day for the KCEB!

cELCOqO.jpg

Made another flight with my first successful plane, only I went too far out over the water, and couldn't make it back to land. The wings all broke off when I made my water landing, but the rest of the plane stayed afloat and Bill was just fine. I'll try again to get back to the runway, but then I'll start making those changes you guys mentioned.

screenshot3-2.png

Please excuse the double post, but I just got my plane to circle around (out of fuel again, though) and land on the runway. I'm psyched!

screenshot6.png

Not the straightest approach, but I'll take it:

screenshot7.png

And once again, Bill gets out for a photo-op.

screenshot10.png

The rest of the weekend's pretty much out, but soon I'll start making improvements.

I tested on Kerbin and Eve to find the correlation between altitude and Isp using LV-N atomic rockets. The results are surprising...

Kerbin

Altitude/ Isp

0 /229

1.7Km/ 390 (equivalent to Aerospike)

5Km/ 588 (closer to vacuum Isp than atmospheric)

10Km/722 (90% of vacuum Isp)

15Km/772 (over 95% of vacuum Isp)

20Km/789 (nearly 99% of vacuum Isp)

Eve

altitude/ Isp

<11 Km/ 220

14 Km/ 390 (equivalent to aerospike)

16 Km/ 510 (midway between atm and vac figures)

25 Km/720 (90% of vacuum figure)

30 Km/760 (95% of vacuum figure)

41 Km/792 (99% of vacuum figure)

The moral of the story: Anywhere other than Eve, the Isp(atm) figure may be safely ignored altogether. On Eve, anything other than the vertical boost phase may be safely calculated using the vacuum figure. Once you get to the gravity turn, you're virtually in vacuum as far as the engines are concerned.

Best,

-Slashy