What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

For giggles I loaded up an old version of KSP (.12) and made it to orbit. There's a thread around here with links to them... I guess they're demos? Anyway it was an entertaining experience. I want to try making it to the Mun! I tried some older versions than that (.08) and I was just absolutely dumbfounded at how anyone could accomplish anything other than a brilliant crash. Gotta say KSP has come a looooooong way.

KSP2014-05-2600-12-24-07.jpg~original

KSP2014-05-2600-15-52-76.jpg~original

I managed to finish my design for a rocket that can ascend from sea level on Eve. It's in an elliptical orbit around Kerbin at the moment and I'm sending up fuel. Two of eleven refuelling missions are done. After the final one I have to either design a transfer stage that will dock to the lander, or use the landers engines to get to eve and send a huge amount of fuel along. The reason I'm even considering the second option is, that the lander design has a few flaws, and one of them is that there's a Clamp-O-Tron Jr. between the huge mass of the tanks and the Clamp-O-Tron Sr. that would dock the transfer stage, and I'm afraid that thing will wobble as nothing else has wobbled before... Still, I think I'll try. Real Kerbonauts don't need SAS anyhow ;-)

<iframe class="imgur-album" src="http://imgur.com/a/USZns/embed" frameborder="0" height="550" width="100%"></iframe>

I managed to finish my design for a rocket that can ascend from sea level on Eve. It's in an elliptical orbit around Kerbin at the moment and I'm sending up fuel. Two of eleven refuelling missions are done. After the final one I have to either design a transfer stage that will dock to the lander, or use the landers engines to get to eve and send a huge amount of fuel along. The reason I'm even considering the second option is, that the lander design has a few flaws, and one of them is that there's a Clamp-O-Tron Jr. between the huge mass of the tanks and the Clamp-O-Tron Sr. that would dock the transfer stage, and I'm afraid that thing will wobble as nothing else has wobbled before... Still, I think I'll try. Real Kerbonauts don't need SAS anyhow ;-)

You are a brave brave soul. No way I'd try an Eve return mission in the foreseeable future. Best of luck to you sir. I've seen it done but... Damn. Just, damn.

As said, for now it's just a lander, that in theory should get back to orbit. It has 7 stages (not counting parachutes), and I consider it frustrating, that just the small part on top will make more than four times the height difference of all stages below combined, not yet talking about the 3400 m/s dV in horizontal direction that it will give the ship as well...

The most challenging part will probably be the landing itself, since the parachutes will only slow down the ship to 22 m/s at sea level (at higher altitudes it'll even be faster), so the main engines have to be fired right before it touches the ground. Luckily, a short burst should do, since the engines (there are no landing legs) have an impact tolerance of 20 m/s. I don't know how the whole construction will absorb the shock, but I'm rather optimistic that if the bottom survives, the rest will as well...

I'll fully refill that beast, and then start drafting a transfer stage that can get this 2 kiloton monster into a stable orbit around Eve...

I thought I would start work on a Mun Station today. Got the main core of the station and the tug up into Mun orbit no problem and everything was looking good. However, after that everything went downhill. Five launches and all five ended in failure. Two of the launches (a communication/power array and a Science Module) ran out of power in orbit/during Transfer burn. The third power array I sent up somehow, and I have no idea how either, had the tower separate from the rocket and get lost in space. A fourth I accidentally time warped past my Mun transfer without noticing and is now in orbit around the Sun and the fifth I ended up putting the docking port in the wrong place, since I spent an hour trying to dock the tug to it with no luck. Wasn't that great of a day today, to tell the truth. :/

Today I attempted the Jool five challenge... and failed miserably at it. Ship ran out of fuel in an orbit around Laythe and unfortunately it was dipping into the atmosphere, doomed to eventually crash. The five crew members drew straws and Bill and Adlie made their way to the Emergency Escape Lander (Formerly the SS Epic Science Lander!). After trying (and horribly failing) to use the engines and RCS to boat the lander to an island, Bill writes an SOS letter and tossed it overboard in an empty soda bottle while Adlie ponders the possibility of carnivorous water krakens (he has seen "The Europa Report")

Back at KSP-HQ flight controllers ponder the possibility of a rescue mission, but then decided to table the discussion because flying to Eeloo sounds like more fun. I mean, the crew transmitted their science reports back before the antennae snapped off and that is all that really matters... (Not even sure if it is possible to rescue a crew stuck on the water. I have this pontoons made from empty fuel cans idea I am mulling over... but I don't think it is going to work. Maybe a future challenge?)

A26B458428F88B74003524967BE1B83B55CD2D26

Quite something in- and outside of the game:

First I expanded my Nukes-use-Kethane cfg mod to make the Kethane tanks equivalent to the stock LF/OX tanks, so I would have the same dV as if I were using a stock assembly for my interplanetary Explorer II.

Then I hacked (or unhacked?) a faulty docking port to get my Kethane tanker over from KSS - to limit the number of parts in my 2.3 km³ cube of space.

After that it was time to launch the lander-cockpit module and the drive stage of the Explorer II to dock them with the mission module already in orbit.

I am pondering if I should exchange the lander-cockpit for a slightly different design though ... not that much monoprop for instance ...

Rendezvous of tanker and Explorer II to transfer Kethane and monoprop - also Bob and Bill came over from KSS to joined Jeb and two rookies for some maneuvers at Mun and Minmus - checking all anomalies there - before returning to KSS to drop of the two then junior kerbonauts, refuel and start their year long voyage around the Kerbol system.

Still on my to-do list: Built a plane able to visit all the anomalies on Kerbin.

Hooray I finished the tech tree for the first time!

After a week of tinkering with various parts I returned to Jool with two landers, one for Laythe & one for Vall. Mastered docking and get everyone back safely with an epic landing at the south pole.

Strapped some SRB's onto a spaceplane and against all odds it all worked fine on the first try rather than explode horribly. Half the science team went catatonic from the sheer shock of it, the other half did a spit-take with their coffee and are now furiously writing "moar boosters!!!!" on every blueprint they can find.

I successfully sent Bill to the mun to rescue Jeb, who has been up there for 4 months due to his lander tipping. I was off by 8 km which had to be covered by spacewalk, but since Jeb is the incarnation of Chuck Norris in KSP he made it using every drop of monopropellant in his pack. Hilarity ensued as Jeb had to try to jump on the lander fuel tanks to reach the CM.

Once I had Jeb on board I was reminded that Mun is tidally locked with Kerbin. The fuel remaining was enough to get into orbit but just shy of what was needed to get home because the crash site was on the wrong side. I'll post the full story later but suffice to say now I have two Krewmen in orbit and one refueling probe orbiting the wrong way zooming past them every few hours.

Kasuha that's insanely good. First I saw Tylo and I was like, that's ballsy. Then I saw Laythe and I was like, surely not a Jool-5? Then I saw Vall.

Now I want to do my own Jool-5. After my Duna and maybe Moho missions though.

I managed to finally land properly on the Mun. I know it's a small step for you guys, but for me it's a giant leap ;-) :P

Small problem tho: mr Kerman launched himself into bizarre orbit around Kerbin after leaving the Mun. And is now without fuel. A rescue vessel is now required to get him safely back to Kerbin.

(Note on that: how do I turn the navball upside down, so to speak? The lander has its engines on the opposite site, but blue maneuver markers stay on the original launcher side). DTtuynB.jpg

I managed to finally land properly on the Mun. I know it's a small step for you guys, but for me it's a giant leap ;-) :P

Small problem tho: mr Kerman launched himself into bizarre orbit around Kerbin after leaving the Mun. And is now without fuel. A rescue vessel is now required to get him safely back to Kerbin.

(Note on that: how do I turn the navball upside down, so to speak? The lander has its engines on the opposite site, but blue maneuver markers stay on the original launcher side). http://i.imgur.com/DTtuynB.jpg

Nope, that's awesome. I still have trouble with the Mun. I've been about 8-9 times and I sometimes still get there and screw up the landing and use too much fuel or get there without enough fuel.

I love going to Minimus, though. I Love it.

As for the rest - I have no idea. Once I mess up the Mun landing, I either revert if I can, or he stays there.

Congratulations!

(Note on that: how do I turn the navball upside down, so to speak? The lander has its engines on the opposite site, but blue maneuver markers stay on the original launcher side). http://i.imgur.com/DTtuynB.jpg

Navball orientation does not follow engine placement, it follows control point placement (command pod, probe core, or docking port). So if you have just one command pod on that ship, the pod's 'up' direction will be always the center on Navball. If you have conveniently placed docking port on that ship, you can transfer control to it using right click.

Retrograde engines are usually not needed because the ship can turn around in space. If you install them, you need to remember to install corresponding correctly oriented control point as well.