What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I'll just leave this here..

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/TimePeriod/2015-05-05_00001_zps4ipfas5p.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo19/TimePeriod/2015-05-05_00003_zpsnshxfhjn.jpg

Yeah, it weights around 1800 t.

Higher quality images found in my Photobucket, see my Sig

Jesus.. How does that not have wobbles of hell?

Increased my employee base by picking up kerbals stranded by that "other" space agency.

Returned to the mun to finally bring Valentina back.

Went to Minmus again for another package of sweet science. I now have another science meter so I have a reason to go back yet again.

I'm back to dealing with (fighting with) wobbly rockets and SAS fighting itself ... but this too shall pass. I actually managed to land on Mun, and get back home again.

6BpSpfe.png

Oh yea, watch out for the hole in the sidewalk in front of the western-most R&D building... it's a doozy.

yPLpIHp.png

Thanks to the irresponsible practices of every other space agency on Kerbin, low Kerbin orbit is Kesslered up with leftover capsules from rescuees. I could of course shoot them down with the laser cannons ("Terminate Vessel"), oooooooooor... I could bring them down to Kerbin and sell them!

RnD8ONCl.png

Of course to do that, I need to capture and bring down 15 individual capsules, which means I'll need 15 Klaws. Rather than send them up one at a time on 15 separate recovery missions, I figured it'd be more efficient to just glob a bunch of them together and bring them down all at once, so I've turned my outmoded LKO station into, well, this grotesque conglomeration. With all those Klaws (a total of 11 so far) attached it actually occasionally manages to confuse KSP into forgetting to turn off Physics when I try to timewarp, leading to a wiggly noodle rocket squirming its way out of orbit and me having to restart the game and reload my quicksave (of which I wisely made several over the course of this mission) xD

Edited by parameciumkid
fixed image link

Going through a load of contracts which require testing things bolted to the back of planes, so built the "Verity Treacle 1":

eoNEaelh.png

(Reference:

)

In sandbox, I sent the passenger version of the "Edie Hornet" into LKO to recover the crew returning from testing a new RoLander, just to see if my bog standard turbojet/rocket configuration still works in 1.0.2. Actually, I think I have more Dv left than usual. More than enough for 150km orbit and fuel to spare for a jet powered flight back to KSC over the desert.

JPZ58hKh.png

Generally a happy bunny, at the moment...

Edited by percyPrune
150k orbit - Cant'read my own altimeter!

Sent out Bob in his Wacky Sciencemobile 7 yesterday to collect more science from around KSC after unlocking thermometers. This gave me enough science to unlock struts (thank God) and I was finally able to launch some halfway decent orbital payloads - including a fully loaded orbital sci probe, the proceeds of which I used to finish up the 45-point science tier. Going to have to unlock something better than the Stayputnik in the near future, though; lack of SAS is generally bad these days. Also learned that you've got to be really careful when you drive something into the water...those Sci Jrs have a really painfully low impact tolerance.

I'm just about out of biomes to sci-mine at KSC (at least I think I am...); going to have to get Mun-bound soon...

Also sent Jeb up with a tourist contract that ended...badly. I'm not ashamed to say that I play with reverts.

after redesigning my craft Jeb went once again on the mission to the Mun to plant a flag. While circularizing in Kerbing orbit I had some unexpected visitors:

F4xY4mE.png

Once I finished my transfer burn they weren't that keen to sticking around and they vanished from tracking station too. Jeb came to the Mun with plenty of dV left and proceeded on to a landing which was quite successful

T8xJxRg.png

But sadly, I made few blunders while trying to land (like overreacting with controls) and when Jeb returned into Mun orbit he had 77m/s of dV left and no way of either landing or transferring back to Kerbin. I sent automated rescue craft, but I managed to come to the Mun from the wrong side, going in totally opposite direction from that of Jeb's, so I crashed that craft into Mun and will send yet another one.

Combined a suborbital tourist contract with the new atmosphere analysis gizmo.

Built a rover probe and took it on a tour of KSC and took some readings - if it will drive on Minmus as good as on Kerbin ... we will see today!

Put the rover into a 2.5m service bay and launched it into LKO.

Tried to get the same rover equipped with external seats, but the will clip-stuck in the service bay, the rover is to tall with these on top - where do I find a 3.75m service bay ... ?

Impulsively hired a new kerbonaut for 130.000f just because I recognized his name from a KSP youtube series. :P

I set out to investigate if the mutual will of the proletariat could keep massive, completely un-aerodynamic aircraft in the air. Specifcally, the 1930s Soviet kind of massive, completely un-aerodynamic aircraft.

After a night of fudging around with a shape partially resembling the historical TB-3 heavy bomber and designing no less than 8 different propeller systems before finding one that could propel a small office building into the air, I ended up with this:

Surprisingly little mishap happened as the flying speed is a whopping 20 meters per second. And like its historical counterpart, the TB-3 Replica has much room for payload, or could be used as a glacially slow survey or transport aircraft.

It was indeed, held aloft by the mutual will of the Soviet!

y3qUTTW.jpg

RlM6KBc.jpg

Once again confirmed that I long ago forgot how to land properly on Mun, and it is now just a black hole sucking up all my dV every time I land something on it. From transfer to Mun to setting an aerobrake periapsis on return (and I did land. Poorly.), I burned an astounding 2400 dV with a prototype interplanetary ship. Even with aerobraking, I decided that that 600 remaining dV wasn't going to be enough to circularize and rendezvous with the crew return pod I sent up to retrieve Jebediah. Fortunately, I only got cold feet about the interplanetary ships reentry worthiness after launch, so it was properly equipped, and was able to descend quite safely.

Can't say the same for the rescue pod. It was built under the assumption it would be manned during descent, with the probe core intended to be mounted on the interplanetary ship to test its reentry capabilities. Failing to take this into account when I aborted the mission and de-orbited the rescue pod, the probe core was inadvertently ejected before the parachute was armed, causing complete loss of the vehicle.

After that debacle, I decided to upgrade my plane side project so that it could go supersonic. This was the result:

ek7cm.jpg

It might not look like anything special, but that was easily one of the most intense and difficult landings I've ever performed in any version of this game. While testing to see how fast my plane could go, I managed to overheat and explode...something. I wasn't sure what had happened at the time, not seeing anything that was clearly missing from my still quite flyable plane. In retrospect, I think I lost my outer ailerons, which provided half my pitch control.

I discovered that I had poor pitch control at less than 200 m/s with 130 causing an uncontrollable rise of the nose leading into a tumble. I was unable to pull out of the third tumble, forcing me to deploy the landing chute (radial drogue). While I was able to control the plane, I realized that it wasn't landable, still being unable to fly slow and level (she could fly much slower with the chute, but only while descending to pull the back end up). With nothing to lose, I decided to try spinning, the closest I could get to burning retrograde. My stable descent with the chute was 75 m/s, too fast to survive (but not by much), and by turning hard and taking advantage of the nose rise, and using a little thrust, was able to hold the plane in a sharp turn with the engines far enough from prograde to bring the speed down to 40-45 m/s. It was a pretty hard landing, but my pilot survived. The plane will now be modified with contingencies for control surface losses, and a tweaked weight distribution.

My last mission in 0.90. A probe orbiter and lander reached Duna:

17394645895_5f732063de_o.png

I sought to use Ike to capture into Duna orbit, but was only able to get a saving of 60 m/s from a capture burn. With FAR aerocapturing was deemed too risky. Still, I *needed* that 60 m/s saving, and still needed to use the lander's touchdown rockets to finish the capture.

The lander came down safely, albeit on its side. The parachute nearly failed to open, I had to hurriedly lower the pressure setting and it opened just in time.

17392666972_17b6d2333b_o.png

The lander did some science but was impaired by the orbiter, needed to relay signals, being in an unhelpful orbit. Then Ike booted the orbiter into Duna's surface.

16774371083_1907edf42b_o.png

That vindicated my decision to put a barometer on an orbiter though, as it was able to take useful scientific readings before slamming into the ground!

'Ive got a re-useable mun lander and a LKO shuttle worth 350 thousand funds almost ready to launch but I am around 500 science short of a couple of parts. The contract will leave me in profit after the first 2 missions so, like all good businessmen, I plan to cheat the science by hacking the game and "paying" for it but, to ease my coscience, I started a thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/119895-Philanthropist-wants-to-trade-cash-for-science to see if anyone could benefit. Not sure if I posted it in the correct section but we haven't got a kickstarter topic!

Anyone want a million bucks for 500 science?

Anyway, I tested the prototype in Sandbox. Note the use of paired landing legs to substitute for heavy legs. I'm not wasting what little science I have on goldplating! Even so, first mun landing was a little heavy:

3Zno8bbh.png

Brutal Percy, nice.

I know the pain of the Science grind.

Funds I have.. Science is a bit of a hold up. But Im getting there slowly (just Electrickery left on Tier 4).

Today I managed my first Stable orbit! Hoorah.

I also managed to get my Kerbal back down again, Alive!. Hoorah!!

Also had Bill test some Jet Glider designs... I think Bill needs some time off for stress reasons now...

I spend two hours on testing and tweaking my at the moment standard 18 ton lifter for optimal ascent path. In process I managed to reliably achieve 3500 - 3600 dv (lowest was below 3450) and also I removed RCS and reaction wheels, because it turned out, that the rocket flies propely on those small basic winglets alone^^

Built a mobile lab rover and sent it on a tour of the KSC, doing every experiment but crew reports.

Turns out I got a wooping 42 data for the lab ... only a few experiments give at least 1 data point.

Will ship the experiments up to a new space station and see if that really makes a difference.

cfg file snooping says only 10% data value added to a lab on Kerbin's surface, but 25% bonus for adding data where it was collected (so here: from Kerbin at Kerbin) - cannot find anything mentioning the proclaimed bonus of adding data on far away places - maybe it was meant to mean experiments from far away places add more data?

Roleplayingwise this is more like a students science fair, collecting homemade experiments to show young kerbals the excitement of science in space! :wink:

The inevitable fast tourist tour - Donbin handled the old SAS-less design like a real pro, for a scientist at least; really earned his first star! :wink:

Designed a new space station, building it will take 3-4 launches. Upgrading the old one would be to much of a hassle really. Stored experiments will be moved over to the new station - I plan on bringing back home every experiment twice from now on to store a copy in an archive for future use in new labs.

Added USI Life Support to my game - hopefully KAS will be fit for 1.0 so I can easily resupply my lab rover parked next to the administration building.

Upcoming missions:

Rover to Minmus for seismic measurements, may take two seperate rovers for two contracts, but maybe the first will be able to move over to the second site.

Another manned Mun mission.

Testing of the new nuclear engines - maybe combined with a mission to anywhere!

Departure of the Ike/Duna probe in 53 Kerbin days!

42 easy science without leaving KSC and the possibility of a hefty bonus - well done KerbMav! Wish I could do the same at this stage.

I know the pain of the Science grind.

Too true! If I started again (maybe for 1.0.3?) I would adjust the science multiplier. As it's my first proper career and everyone else seems to complain about running out of funds I thought I ought to play it safe, but I seem to have gone the other way. I'm not starting all over again, having come so far, so I am trying to justify my cheat!