What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Worked on a spaceplane with the limited tech I got, which meant I had to make due with the J-404 panther jet engine.  But it also means I couldn't make a SSTO, so I mearly strapped on two thumpers with two more J-404's that get staged off when the thumpers are activated.  It is thankfully fully reusable thanks to parachutes.

A while back, I put a base down on Minmus intending to be a mining base, but the design didnt go spectacular.
Just got a contract to expand it from a 9kerbal outpost, to a 17 kerbal, 3 scientist base.
My experience with manually docking additional parts has been frustrating, so I decided i'd give a KIS install a try. Worked like a charm! (Additional parts are the two K&K habitats on the back end)

B0nOoYM.jpg

I was testing this new SSTO, but on ascent I went a tad bit too fast and got from heating effects. Suddenly the Vector's exhaust trail... turned pink? It went blue again as soon as the heating stopped.

lPqZOc7.png

I have no mods that change any textures or effects at all. Can anyone explain this? On reentry the exhaust stayed blue.

I've been practicing VTOL landings.  Its tricky but I'm getting the hang of it.  The key is managing the transition from normal forward aerodynamic flight to being supported by the lift engines only, while killing as much forward velocity as possible without gaining significant altitude.

PBaQ3YN.png

Okay, SAR is so much easier at sea than in space, it seems; I sent a craft to rescue some poor Kerbal stuck in orbit but the whole thing went horribly wrong and he ended up falling from 58,000m.

Into the sea.

150m from KSC.

Thanks to his jetpack the little maniac survived and walked ashore at the KSC to thunderous applause.

So it's been about 100 days game time (and I think almost 2 days realtime???), and I can now report the first part of my asteroid project is a success!
First I sent Val, Bob and Bill out to the asteroid to oversee the project.  Then I tried moving this space-mountain with their ship... yeah, right.  It just wobbled around, and I thought the ship might break. The asteroid itself also started bouncing around, and it occured to me that before I could move it, I had to be able to stablize, spin, and maneuver it. 
So I build these big thruster pods; basically a klaw with a big gas tank with 20 vernier thrusters arranged around it in 4 directions.  Think RCS thruster on steroids.  Then I brought 5 of them them up one at a time and connected them best I could evenly around the asteroid.  Each took between 15 and 30 days to get out there, more or less, which is why 100 days has passed so far.

4GAyfNg.jpg

xuXbPq3.jpg

9IAbPxk.jpg

The last one, number 6, I added a 2 man lander can and copula and turned into the new temporary command pod.  Then I got rid of the shuttle Val and the boys used to get here.  Too many parts.

rt0hJXE.jpg

Once all 6 thruster pods were in place I tried spinning the asteroid again, and this time it works!!!  It's slow, which I fully expected, but it does move!  The only down side is there are a total of 120 vernier thrusters now... and small as they are, that many does eat fuel pretty quick.  So the next step was to bring up a drill and ore tank pod, and a ore-converter pod.

K7XLkcB.jpg

tXQCPVu.jpg

Something I did not know for sure until today, these do NOT have to be connected to work. just both clawed to the same asteroid seems to work fine.  I've also been able to determine this asteroid is between 80-100 meters in diameter, depending on what angle you come at it from.

So this was phase one.  Phase two will be building some sort of engine(s) big enough to move it.  Doesn't have to be terribly fast, just enough to change the orbit.  Then I'll disgard most of this stuff, the part count is already too high for my liking, and start building it into a station.

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Phase two will be building some sort of engine(s) big enough to move it. 

Just a hint, but you might find it easier to convert some of the mass to fuel by mining, burn it, then try moving it.  For that matter, turn all of it to fuel.  Or even easier, just mine it and dump the ore tanks when they're full.  Just leave enough to refuel your pushers.

It would be handy to have such a moon in convenient orbit as a fueling station, but as always the part count could get un-fun.  Oh, but if your vernor attitude control probes could undock and discard their vernors and tanks, leaving just clawed docking ports for fuel-hungry ships...  Hm, I might need to go get me a massive E-class space station...

31 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Just a hint, but you might find it easier to convert some of the mass to fuel by mining, burn it, then try moving it.  For that matter, turn all of it to fuel.  Or even easier, just mine it and dump the ore tanks when they're full.  Just leave enough to refuel your pushers.

It would be handy to have such a moon in convenient orbit as a fueling station, but as always the part count could get un-fun.  Oh, but if your vernor attitude control probes could undock and discard their vernors and tanks, leaving just clawed docking ports for fuel-hungry ships...  Hm, I might need to go get me a massive E-class space station...

I thought about drilling some of the weight away... but there might be a problem.  Right clicking it I find the asteroid weighs in at a little over 3,800 tons, and it says the resources are aprox 3,200.  At first I thought this was units, but once I started drilling, it dropped way too slow, almost not at all, so now I think it may mean tons.  If this is the case, there's just too much to try at one time.

Plus I like the challenge of trying to move something so heavy.  Like you said, it would make a great heavy refueling station if I can. 

Edited by Just Jim

3 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I thought about drilling some of the weight away... but there might be a problem.  Right clicking it I find the asteroid weighs in at a little over 3,800 tons, and it says the resources are aprox 3,200.  At first I thought this was units, but once I started drilling, it dropped way too slow, almost not at all, so now I think it may mean tons.  If this is the case, there's just too much to try at one time.

Plus I like the challenge of trying to move something so heavy.  Like you said, it would make a great heavy refueling station if I can. 

Definitely practical enough to just move the 3,200ton rock. Plus, the fact that you have it in an orbit of your devising is a huge point of pride. 

I'm currently in the process of trying to land an asteroid for no other purpose than that I think it'll look cool sitting on the surface near the KSC

Visiting Mun for science after visiting Minmus is really great idea.

2uguDAT.png?1

Why is most of landings comes w/o of sunlight?

gMxStzj.png?1

Refuelling after visiting most of eqautorial biomes.

w55sAXL.png?1

Lander in left corner. Detached to free docking port.XO6dAGj.png

Assembling back.37qcKtT.png

And heading to polar orbit.bflyOz7.png

All biomes visited.Js1U5g9.png

Time to go home.E3TyCOt.png

Upper atmo.MoiEjxV.png

Burning last fuel.X6VBt5i.png

bb carrot.0yqtjEI.png

Light 2.5m pod with heatshield = easy kerlanding.ANpuXaQ.png

... or kerwatering...6P9ttCs.png

150 experiments. Mostly from Mun. Some grav scans over Kerbin included.BO4QuLl.png

And 8k science even without eva and crew reports.pXNcJCV.png

Edited by Carepanda

I can't get both my flyback boosters to land on the runway relably using Burn Together (been using the grass asjacent to KSC up til now). But I figured a way last night - disengage burn together just before final descent on the runway, land one, then switch back to the other in flight, turn it around and land that one too. It's a small improvement but it's nice to return them onto KSC grounds.

Since I had to uninstall Lackluster's LLL and LLL+ mods because of problems with nodes and 1.0.5, I have decided to redo my ground craft with a couple of new goals in mind:

• lower the part count
  • lower the number of mods used to design the craft

I still have some tweaking to do, such as increasing the functionality of the light boom, and a few other cosmetic things. It has a tendency to flip over when traveling at 25m per second... but it does what it is designed to do - refuel aircraft!