What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

3 hours ago, kraden said:

That is awesome! Where can I get my hands on it?

2 hours ago, Kertech said:

This and something to tell you how much electric charge you use/minute would make remote tech a darnsight easier...

Thanks! I have to write up some instructions, and then upload the Geogebra worksheet somewhere for people to download it. Will probably do that today. Right now, though, you can't input inclined orbits.

Ideally, I'd make this into an actual application or webpage similar to Alex Moon's, but I don't have those kind of skills 8{

Finished up my Mars probe mission in RSS, with landers in three different biomes on Mars, landers on both Phobos and Deimos, and a massive satellite in a Martian polar orbit. Next up - working on my lunar surface base and associated infrastructure.

Downloaded KSP on PS4 last week, spent some time with the tutorials, then jumped headfirst into Career mode. Finally made it to orbit and safely landed this morning.

Now I'm working on getting to Mun / Minum. No idea how well it will work, because I'm really limited on parts, but in the name of Science and Fun I'm gonna press on.

I think I've got something a little muddled.  Today, I was catching some kerbals in LKO.

v 5wQcCP4.png

This one has far more levels than the ones I've been working on which is both awesome and annoying.

I got this cool screenshot also.

sF6Z7AW.png

It was supposed to be a simple mission. But it didn't exactly work like that for any of us. 

There are other risks when experimenting with infinite fuel craft. Like the good old warping to far. 

But when you're flying like this you can always just.... turn around. Charged at Minmus with about 20km/s between us. 

Edited by Tw1

16 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I created what is possibly my most Kerbal Kraft yet. The central core is a 4xLV-N tug, pushing a Pol Mobile Station, a robust Tylo probe lander, and a tourist on a Jool Grand Tour, boosted by a 6pk of Twin Boars augmented by Kickbacks. It was surprisingly easy to launch, although the first attempt lost control because the pilot was too busy taking pictures. But that's ok, it needed to be reverted (and KSP restarted) due to a crew manifest glitch.

I LOVE how you built the fuel tanks to conform around the payload! well done!

Completed launch and orbital assembly of my first true "ship". The KSS Buzz Aldrin is built to conduct landings and science study in orbit around the moons of Kerbin. Weighing in at 150 tons, with space for a crew of 6 plus 4 visitors and on-board facilities to grow food, the Aldrin is designed to operate for up to 6 months without replenishment.

Aldrin's first mission is to conduct Munar studies and fully test the on-board systems. The Aldrin will serve as a test bed for future long range missions to Duna and beyond. The detachable side fuel tanks allow for upgrades to mission capabilities and their unique appearance have given Aldrin the nickname "Princess Leia".

SGcBg19.png

Imgur album of the full assembly process: http://imgur.com/a/cBUol

Edited by tjt

Sunday was a long day of testing and research expeditions. All unmanned.

The first thing I did was to fly the Nomad to Eve. The idea was generally to get some mileage with the so far unused Nomad tug. See what glitches popped up.

screenshot4422jg.jpg

Several small were found. Notable was that I need some solar panels at the back end of the Nomad. Because: What's wrong with this picture?

screenshot4410jg.jpg

Anyway, I figured I would just tentatively dip into EVE's atmosphere, to see what it's like to escape. But that will have to wait for later, because this time I decided to figure out what it takes to land on Gilly instead. It was interesting. I think that is the right word. Very low gravity has its own problems. But there will definitely be a manned expedition to Gilly soon.
Maybe a Hover Rover? A conventional won't work. I'm pretty sure about that.

screenshot4435jg.jpg

The plan then was to to re-dock with Nomad, with just the command module. Unfortunately it didn't work because I found another of those wonderful little flaws that I was looking for: The command module's docking port was mounted the wrong side out, so there was never any coupling. At this point I terminated both Nomad and Orpheus_Y1.

screenshot4441jg.jpg

Next, I took a Kronos_X18 all the very long way to Vall, to see how the basic Kronos design copes with landing on Vall. Pretty good, I would say. The biggest problem was the orbital insertion into Jool's moon system.

screenshot4452jg.jpg

But sure, there was some problems. A Vall-optimised Kronos need to have much better rotational control authority, to be able to land safely enough to have Kerbals onboard.
Also, this thing with exploding landing struts need to be solved. As you can see the rocket is resting directly on its undercarriage beam structures. The landing struts exploded every time, despite the low gravity and the fact that they rest just fine on Kerbin, with full fuel load (here, only some 30% is left). It's the landing. Exploded every time. Apparently there is supposed to be some "impact" that it can't withstand. Am I supposed to land at 0.1 m/s? What krakens! I probably need to cheat there. Landing struts from beam parts? This time the rocket nozzles survived. That is otherwise the disaster that strikes with exploding landing legs. Without rocket engines there is no return.

Also, my pilots need to train "suicide burns" somewhat. Not much though, since fuel budget is excellent. Better than Laythe despite the lack of help from parachutes.

screenshot4460jg.jpg

Yes, there will be a manned expedition to Vall as well.  ...It might be a while though.

Edited by Vermil

Decided to try something different today. I wanted to play KSP with my brother, and I tried DMP. Sadly it kept bugging both of us and crashing, so we had to improvise.

We started  a shared save which we take turns flying missions to take over the whole solar system with kerbals, and I started. Me being me, I started a polar base, named Polar Exclusion Zone. Flew a plane with two rovers there, and dropped one off. The second one is set to be delivered to a base my brother wants to do somewhere on the pole, when he actually makes it. Lots of fun!

After my decision to actually pursue my maritime space program idea (assembling and launching reusable spacecraft on a seagoing ship or platform and being as independent and distant from the KSC as possible) and use more Mk IV parts, I've made the first support vehicle, which also happens to be my largest plane. It was intended to be a seaplane but I couldn't get it to take off from water even with SRBs and Mainsails. Now the idea is to simply air-drop an entire rocket. This should land using parahutes and then be handled by the cranes and ISRU-given supplies on the ship I have yet to design.

She runs on 16(!) Wheesley engines and 2 Dudleys for a cruising speed and altitude of 220m/s and 5000m respectively.

bfec7bdcdc.jpg

32 minutes ago, String Witch said:

After my decision to actually pursue my maritime space program idea (assembling and launching reusable spacecraft on a seagoing ship or platform and being as independent and distant from the KSC as possible) and use more Mk IV parts, I've made the first support vehicle, which also happens to be my largest plane. It was intended to be a seaplane but I couldn't get it to take off from water even with SRBs and Mainsails. Now the idea is to simply air-drop an entire rocket. This should land using parahutes and then be handled by the cranes and ISRU-given supplies on the ship I have yet to design.

She runs on 16(!) Wheesley engines and 2 Dudleys for a cruising speed and altitude of 220m/s and 5000m respectively.

bfec7bdcdc.jpg

What's that cockpit from?

I decided to try flying IL-76 replica with a vehicle in the payload bay. And see how far it can get. And try finding some particular place... And got a few strange ideas along the way...

Result is this:

I did a little bit of a redesign on my upcoming Eeloo probes, replacing the conventional drive with an ion engine and then testing to make sure I was generating/storing enough electricity to support it, and completed placing flags to the west of KSC to represent the Nominal Energy Point and the north and south guidance cylinders for flying approaches to the KSC runway.   Dandy.   Now, if I could only actually learn to land without parachutes...  :D

I continued my doomed mission to Eve. Redesign of drill plane refueling craft. Added a heat shield because the nose cone kept burning off of the other one.

C70D64BCA6B936F6C61DDB1C8AF41C2AC61AE30F

FF7153B8C93789C82E3061131D83E2D0F5AB42FB76CA68E14E8B3906AC34DC69C03F592C2FA75A883562FB7F34E85F557F6E84C0F5BD9830765C2D09

One landed I deployed the drill to refuel. All worked as planned up to this point. 90k from lander.

I soon discovered I barely had enough thrust on Eve to get airborne. I actually go faster on the ground than when I do burn about 3/4 of my fuel and can get airborne.

219EA13A650C8799E93ED03E07257BCE50E7D8F9E15220F65FF14F6903E16CD2C95205EFF629ED232AA72FBE415CCDECFAB56622071399C0EFD88176

I had to stop around 5 times to refuel, but all went well. Until I began to to have to fight the inhabitants of Eve - Glitches, Bugs, and Gremlins.

Keep in mind that I'm pretty sure after refueling my lander it doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of reaching orbit. I am just going through the motions for future missions.

BE808D689A21DA8019E10C7F1240C7806AD1E15D

4797EA0C38A51C0B3A147567EE3AB1A2DB584FF0

First annoyance was being attacked by the landing gear, wheel bug. Plane would not brake. Slid constantly. So I had to rest it against my rocket which resulted in a lot of quick loads because it would randomly rip stuff apart and blow things up.

200B2372897A2BCDBB8A561C8CAB84B08EFFF2AD4CCE6DD4E4C594D922C2E2FB23C2C103418ECF92

I did manage to take off 1 time but due to staging issues and not wanting to quicksave with the sliding craziness, that was it. I tried a second attempt but my two craft had locked gear and it was bad.

1EFAF67ED49C1D996F83CD1DC895AEDB58FCD93B

Which, after days and days of planning and building left me with a good quick save for use after the wheel bug is fixed, and the depressing pic below.

B2434F12CF3DA2E4D5EDF26343B98228A751C514

I will be back!

First I launched the game, and admired my visual mods from the Space Center view. Then I enter the VAB with the intent of making a station and realize that there is no porkalike 1.25m to 2.5m flat adapter in any of the mods I have. About 15 seconds later, ALT-F4.

Edited by legoclone09

Installed KIS. After some frustration, a little RTFM and several YouTube videos I have figured out how it works. So I spent the rest of the evening reducing part count on my Science Lab. Every removed strut connector left over from launch is one less part! After I removed a bunch of useless parts I played with moving small parts around.

KIS QUESTION - when I'm placing parts is there any way to turn on snap to 22.5 degree functionality like you can in VAB?

7 hours ago, Pine said:

Delivered a base to a mountain.

Excellent @Pine. I've noticed your recent arctic deployments as well. If you like the air lift stuff, have you tried air-dropping? I think it is my single favourite thing to do in KSP. Eg fly to location; line up over landing site; eject cargo from bay with parachutes & separatrons & the like; oversee safe descent, whilst managing the delivery aircraft and finally set up the cargo remotely! It's so rewarding! There's various aspects to the challenge, and when all the stars align, to see the cargo safely touch down on a spot close to where you need it...ahhh.
eg below