What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

8 minutes ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

I landed on the Mun for the first time! It took a couple dozen tries, 30 parts, and a little learning along the way, but it's finally happened. Next time will be a piece of cake, right?

MEDrYfg.jpg

This isn't actually the craft that got me there, but it's one of several variants I messed with, before deciding on having two SRB's on the side instead.

ICG9eRI.jpg

I'm glad I got a satellite in orbit first around the Mun. Without being able to connect with it, I wouldn't have had any signal from Kerbin during landing!

qz8GHQe.jpg

Slowing my row as the SMIL-2 (Second Mun Investigation Lander[First Mun Lander exploded on the Mun]) comes in for touchdown.

I2egPwz.jpg

I wasn't planning to leave anyway, so losing the engine was of little concern. I actually didn't expect the legs to bounce like that did, so a little bouncing did occur. I righted it later so the panel could get some sun and I could start transmitting science data!

CONGRATS on your FIRST Mun landing! It always is a pain in the ass for the first time :P

Maybe you should try Minmus next. Should be much easier for landing, just leave some delta-v for the plane change.

My apologies for the mass imgur. :P Today I built a station or DSEV with Mk3 parts rather than the usual (any other form factor...) and cheated it into orbit, however the spaceplanes I also designed for it launched up and met it legit'ly. This is by far the more interesting launch. The lifter's ejection component (the extra hammer SRBs) and the fin placements cause the Twinboars to actually bump the craft but fabulously launch forward and overtake. On circularization and searching for the node to do the encounter burn I realized I was right on it and had to burn right away.

hfblZoY.jpg

697V6dh.jpg2ruFZXJ.jpgYJbm599.jpg W78vUDu.jpg 

XojcoYD.jpg

w1o1HED.jpgutktBFw.jpgZnoVF6K.jpg

I also tested the CRP configs for Cyran the fire giant and got an eyeful of green planetshine. :0.0:

17 hours ago, eddiew said:

Nice :)  How about the thing where you'd get a phantom sideways force on the runway and donut off? (That might have been wheels...)

Misaligned wheels will still prove "interesting" on the runway but otherwise things seem fine on the runway.

The SAS code update is a wonderful thing.  All that swinging about back and forth when you click, say, the hold prograde symbol has gone for all but the longest craft with limited control.  It's been ages since I did a short burst of time warp to stop craft wobble.

A New(ish) Save Continues 

We are up to 42 launches from KSC with the Kash Kow Mun Tours "Pathfinder XL" being the most common site on the launch pad.

The twin contract Satellites to the Mun mission worked out well with the bonus of pretty good comms coverage. Hopefully, another contract will let me add a third satellite whilst making a profit from the launch.

I arrived at a place that could really do with some more love. Not surprising, seeing that it's quite hard to get to, even by RSS standards. A small gravity well to aim for, no atmosphere to capture in, and once you're there it lacks the awe-inspiring views of the Solar System's giant planets. Luckily our probe, Fontanes Two, packs some serious delta-vee thanks to her nuclear electric propulsion.

Ladies and gents, I give you Ceres. Or at least Pozine's version of it.

gfuMTO8.png

I know, it's a bit hard to get excited by a small rocky world orbiting in one of the more unfashionable districts of the asteroid belt. Particularly when its main distinctive feature consists of some mysterious white spots (faculae) that eventually turned out to probably be salt containing hydrated magnesium sulfate. The most striking example of these white spots can be found within a crater called Occator, which can be seen on the night side in the picture above, near the limb of Ceres. Unfortunately, it was winter in the northern hemisphere during my stay (RSS exaggerates the axial tilt of most bodies) and I failed to get a single good view of the crater in daylight.

5Wfpf80.png

Fortunately, Ceres boasts many other interesting... uhm... craters. Such as Kerwan, the largest on this dwarf planet. It is an impact basin 280 km across, and is probably one of the older features. Also visible in this shot, Dantu, with additional faculae around its rim.

k4tjhYc.png

Yalode is the second largest impact basin, separated from Urvara by a series of Catenae (crater chains). Despite its cratered initial appearance, Ceres does in fact present a deficit in larger impact features, which suggests that some sort of active geological process has reshaped the surface of the body since the end of the major bombardment episodes. Note that Ceres is suspected to have an icy mantle, and that hydrothermal activity in the past may have contributed to erasing traces of impact, with the eruption of volatiles flowing across the surface.

The mountain, Ahuna Mons, constitutes possible evidence of more recent cryovolcanic activity. It is situated in the top right corner of the image above but was not visible from the altitude of observation.

Lots of info and (better) pictures on NASA's Dawn mission site. The Mission Director, Marc Rayman, is a particularly interesting character, and his blog is well worth reading.  

Edited by UnusualAttitude

Ahhh, real world cratering. Apparently when NASA sent it's first mercury mission they had a bunch of air force generals in mission control when the first pictures came in. They apparently commented it looked like someone had bombed the hell out of it. Allways gives me a chuckle.

Finally sorted out my 10 man tourist design for emchjeb:

BETYVPB.png

Probably put close to a hundred tourists into orbit with her allready.

Also shot this thing off to test the kickback at 150k, didn't make much, (12k, 45k base but 33k launch costs), of a profit but got lucky, ended up with a direct mun shot close approach, (going much too fast to be captured), burnout was 4kps, hit mun SOI 43 minutes later, screamed out of there 12 minutes after that, and just under a day from leaving Kerbin SoI after that. much quicker exit than my proper sunprobe, but much lighter and more basic payload. And the world firsts gave a nice science and credit earn.

imyXRW6.png

Edited by Carl

I've been away from the game since 1.1.3 dropped. BUT, I finally finished the Dark Side Transit Calculator update I started about a month ago. Some of you might remember when I first made this back in July. I've since updated it to allow the user to select any planet—not just Kerbin—and fixed some error prone behavior.

11 hours ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

I landed on the Mun for the first time! It took a couple dozen tries, 30 parts, and a little learning along the way, but it's finally happened. Next time will be a piece of cake, right?

MEDrYfg.jpg

This isn't actually the craft that got me there, but it's one of several variants I messed with, before deciding on having two SRB's on the side instead.

ICG9eRI.jpg

I'm glad I got a satellite in orbit first around the Mun. Without being able to connect with it, I wouldn't have had any signal from Kerbin during landing!

qz8GHQe.jpg

Slowing my row as the SMIL-2 (Second Mun Investigation Lander[First Mun Lander exploded on the Mun]) comes in for touchdown.

I2egPwz.jpg

I wasn't planning to leave anyway, so losing the engine was of little concern. I actually didn't expect the legs to bounce like that did, so a little bouncing did occur. I righted it later so the panel could get some sun and I could start transmitting science data!

You are a true Kerbonaut, that's a very Kerbal way to go to the moon.:D I've played this game for a couple years now and I still occasionally crash into the surface when landing on the Mun, mostly because of impatience during descent.

Tried an all-out test run of the upcoming Kerbal Dakar 2017 with my SlamTek Outlaw v2.  I really shouldn't have pushed it as hard as I did (you'll see why at approx 4:30 in the video) but since it's a practice run, I don't mind crashing.  When the rally rolls around, though, I'll need to be a bit more careful...

Regardless, I started recording as I was coming out of the hills on Stage 2, into one of the more scenic areas of the rally.

In order to keep it from flying, it has a boost flap (pioneered, I believe, by Azimech) which, via kOS script (written by me) lifts to block the thrust of the jet engines while the rover is in the air.  This is so I don't end up with a flying rover, which would disqualify me from the rally! :)  You can see it lift whenever the rover gets into the air, as well as drop when lands again.  if you're not convinced, then keep an eye on the speed indicator near the bottom.  Whenever I get into the air, it will typically drop by several m/s.  If its a big jump, it will begin to pick up speed again simply due to gravity.

Edited by Slam_Jones

A bigger world scale requires bigger rockets and a rethink of my mission plans. LKO orbital velocity is 6000m/s in 6.4 scale, Munar transfer is about 2000m/s and low munar orbit is about 1500m/s. 

Evidently numbers are ganging up on me

Anyway mission plan clearly showed either I was gonna have to decide between direct ascent or doing it apollo style, I don't have 7.5m rocket parts yet so a Nova rocket was out the picture. 

So here is the "big but not as big as it could have been" rocket

j5FSjDY.jpg

Fairly nippy off the pad with a 1.6twr, well nippy considering the frame rate drops...

RDwFOfe.jpg Many tonnes of LFO and several stages later

MNRyX0R.jpgQuick shuffle of the command module and its ready for lunar transfer

b17XF49.jpgn5XqSy4.jpg Arrival at the mun and the first use of the CSM main engine

TmI9ARn.jpgCrNhwDw.jpg Jeb and Bill separate the lander from command module leaving bob to contemplate some things (hoping he comes up with some exciting science) The lander has 4000m/s dv, thought to be just enough to land and get back to orbit, the csm has more than enough to do a rendezvous and return to kerbin 

qAPNEwF.jpg The Mun's a bit flatter when stretched out, so landing was a doddle

No5lg0r.jpgokFj7yF.jpg Jeb and Bill took a moment to watch kerbin over the horizon and plant a flag

XbrU9Up.jpg They seemed quite happy with thesituation

5nu6pEJ.jpg Quick return to Lunar orbit

3dtudrb.jpg Bob managed the rendezvous following Jebs carefully written instructions (ignoring all the lines saying "floor it")

vIiYvVP.jpg No fuel to transfer, but Jeb and Bill quickly made their way into the command module

iv2RAAU.jpg Deperated the Munar module leaving it in orbit before the transfer home

5EyB5Nd.jpg2YTkcjr.jpg Things got hot on reentry, surface velocity of 8,000m/s, the service module started exploding, bob was quite concerned, Jeb had recklessly decided to decouple it inside the atmosphere, 

n2XUMwL.jpgsPTcWUp.jpg 

0rsCjCE.jpg 

24 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Nope. Actually, it's 80 cm too long! Imperial Star Destroyers are 1600 m long, and this one was carefully crafted to that scale, part by part.

I know how big they are. I didn't realize how long the runway is. In any case, it's very impressive.

Also, wasn't there a Kopernicus mod a while ago that added the Death Star...

Just now, eloquentJane said:

I know how big they are. I didn't realize how long the runway is. In any case, it's very impressive.

Yes, it turns out the runway is longer than a Star Destroyer. It's always nice to get a feel for just how big these things are in comparison with objects we're familiar with.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

Also, wasn't there a Kopernicus mod a while ago that added the Death Star...

Indeed there was. I created it!

On 12/29/2016 at 9:11 AM, eddiew said:

Noticed that KRnD is now compatible with the latest KSP and thus considered kicking off a new career... but I have no idea how the game's playing for everyone anymore :blush:

How's KSP feeling in 1.2.x? Where are we at with things like wheel physics and performance, and have there been any hints of a 1.3 in the works?

I'm really enjoying my KRnD career in a 3.2x scale version of Galileo's Planet Pack.  Seems to be working well so far in 1.2.1.  I'm almost done with my 1.2.2 install with all the same mods, so hopefully the save file will make the trip successfully.  

1 minute ago, Norcalplanner said:

I'm really enjoying my KRnD career in a 3.2x scale version of Galileo's Planet Pack.  Seems to be working well so far in 1.2.1.  I'm almost done with my 1.2.2 install with all the same mods, so hopefully the save file will make the trip successfully.  

3.2x sounds interesting actually... really forces you to kick out those improved engines I would think! Although whether that big oxygen world can ever be conquered in a larger size... that's hard to call. Darn thing's going to need Star Wars tech to get off :) 

You are a true Kerbonaut, that's a very Kerbal way to go to the moon.:D I've played this game for a couple years now and I still occasionally crash into the surface when landing on the Mun, mostly because of impatience during descent.

Got to agree with that, i build serious excess stability into my mun orbiters after a few incidents like that