What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Havent done it yet but I will tonight. Doing the RO/RSS/RP0 thing following Nathan Kell's tutorial series. So tonight when I get home from work, Im going to put Sputnic in orbit for my first orbit. Already made my rocket. Its just a matter of making a successful launch. Much science to gather and then I will be ready for episode 5. So much different than Kerbin is, Really enjoying the whole RO/RSS/RP0 thing way more than I thought I would. Should have done this long ago. Not as hard as I thought it would be. If you have been on the fence about it, go for it.You wont regret it.

My game has come to a standstill because i can't figure out a new bug with Procedural Fairings - Interstage Fairings aren't shielding lower parts from drag. The launcher hits approx the speed of sound, drag goes through the roof, the rocket almost stalls, it wastes a ton of fuel pushing up past about 12000m where the air is thinner and then starts accelerating again.

I'm using design concepts that have worked in many previous iterations of the game, but completely fail in 1.3.1. Unless I can find a solution I'm going to have to either revert back to 1.3.0 or go with less optimized rocket designs.

I posted the following in the Procedural Fairings thread, but that forum doesn't seem to get much traffic. If anyone here has any input, here are further details

Here's a stock ship with two Fairings on it. (stock except for procedural fairings of course)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xjwm07ktct6qp0/Fairing Test 1.craft?dl=0

When it gets to about 7500m and just past the speed of sound its acceleration slows and it starts to decelerate. It continues to rise and when it reaches thinner atmosphere it starts accelerating again.

Here is my log file too:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/iy07vztxr44pl18/KSP.log?dl=0

38017041076_c55e89b46d_o.pngKSST-Alpha Station

Continuing my work on the space station of Kerbin. Added the construction module at the bottom and some solar panels.

Also I build and tested this big(compared to my usual planes this one is huge) space plane. It's way too expensive for my budget at the moment so I'm keeping it in the SPH.

26267100169_75f3c40c77_o.pngKSSP-Aeronaut I

I installed Galileo's Planet Pack, and now I am discovering a bunch of new planets and moons. I am going completely stock (other than the planet pack I mentioned, and KER, which should be stock).

Because I am NOT reading up on the planets, it feels like real exploration. I am sending small probes to the nearest planets now, so that I can get a feel for how large they are, and if they have moons, or perhaps an atmosphere. I don't want to find out these things when I am sending in the Kerbals Gaelans.

I landed successfully on one planet, but completely failed on another when I found out that my periapsis was well within an atmosphere that I didn't expect. All antennas and solar panels broke, so that was the end of that mission! Oh well, that's what you get for going (relatively) cheap. I could have overdimensioned the craft to anticipate for everything, but instead, I will just launch another one now that the lesson is learned...

rDdwcxr.jpg

Spoiler

This is Thalia. That's the 2nd planet as counted from the Sun. One more lesson (spoiler alert) is that you really need radiators for a surface landing here. It gets blazingly hot.

The little lander is called the TURD: Thalia Unmanned Robotic Drone.

The failed ship was called the NERD: Niven Exploration Robotic Drone. I am quite please with the names! :)

Edited by Magzimum

I unlocked the nuclear engine in my career game, but the mun mission still failed.  I have...three kerbals stranded on the mun, and another 2 stranded in munar orbit.  

Getting close to page 1500!

Worked more on my combined collective + cyclic script.

Currently it kind of works. Barely.

VhtGZzG.jpg

It is quite jerky and sometimes will briefly reverse its response to controls. I think the culprit is a flaw in the collective, which isn't maintaining the rotor rpm properly.

Hopefully this thing will work once that's fixed. If not, it might be that it's simply not feasible with the limited number of physics frames per rotation of the rotor.

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

I unlocked the nuclear engine in my career game, but the mun mission still failed.  I have...three kerbals stranded on the mun, and another 2 stranded in munar orbit.  

Nuclear engines?!  For the Mun?!  Are you playing at non-stock scale?

I'm about to send three Kerbals to the Mun on a 1.25m booster (one core and four strap-ons that size) with three Swivels and two Reliants, to land and return in a Mk. 1 spaceplane orbiter  (with landing legs on the wingtips) powered by another Swivel (a Terrier would do the job, but it lacks an alternator and I haven't unlocked solar panels or fuel cells yet, so I need to charge batteries during burns).

I didn't need nuclear engines to do that, but I certainly over-engineered pretty much everything I have done! Keep at it!

My tourists landed successfully on Moho.

FQiEAIO.png

I was a bit worried about this because the fuel depot I have orbiting Moho doesn't carry enough oxidizer to fully fill the lander's tanks, and the lander would have to make two trips to Moho's surface in order to complete the contract (as it only seats two and I had four tourists who wanted to land.) However, full tanks are only necessary if the lander is meant to land on the surface and return to orbit in one go. If I landed on my mining outpost then I could go down with the tanks only half filled, siphon fuel from the outpost (or, more accurately, from the fuel truck that I leave docked with the outpost, since the outpost itself doesn't have any fuel storage) for the return trip, then top up with the remaining fuel at the depot for the second landing. Even that was a bit dicey, though, since I'd sent the fuel truck up to the depot to add more fuel to its tanks just after the tourists did their ejection burn from Kerbin, which left its own tanks depleted. I figured that filling them up again before the tourists got there wouldn't be a problem but changes in how heat and radiators are handled in 1.3.1 changed the already-slow pace of fuel production to something absolutely glacial. I was able to coax enough fuel from the outpost to make the trip, though, and the tourists are now safely back at the depot waiting for a transfer window to Eve (where they'll refuel for the trip back to Kerbin.)

The lander itself is going to stay behind for future missions.

WObBbDb.png

I sent Jeb on a minmus flyby in my career save. I had an extra kilometer of delta-V, so the mission was turned into an orbiter. I got around 400 science, and finished unlocking tier 5 of the tech tree. My next task is to develop a multi-man mun orbiter for tourism.

As I said in yesterdays post, the Mars program is now in its developing phase, which means that I am working on new ultra heavy launch vehicles, testing out new technologies and checking if a crewed Mars landing would be possible.

But before landing on Mars, I have to scan its surface for possible landing zones and biomes, and to do some test landings using lander probes. And that is exactly what I did today.

Here comes the first one:

FwBjmDY.jpg

8oC3xxv.jpg

Technically it is a landing, right?? :sticktongue:

I8nd0qX.jpg

Hmm at least I got the science data.

The second lander did not land much better...

fA3tBTX.jpg

This time I failed to extend the landing legs in time, so it tipped over again.:mad:

O6kE9MD.jpg

mggWzxf.jpg

I also missed the landing zone. I wanted my touchdown to be somewhere in this canyon, but at least I hit the same biome.

Edited by Julien Kerman

Got my KSS up & running in LKO. Beamed a bunch of science to it & the scientists are churning away. They have over a year of life support supplies so they should be good for a while without a resupply. I did a rescue mission & then docked it with the KSS just to practice docking. Took a minute to get the hang of it again, but I finally got it done.

1 hour ago, Julien Kerman said:

As I said in yesterdays post, the Mars program is ow in its developing phase, which means that I am working on new ultra heavy launch vehicles, testing out new technologies and checking if a crewed Mars landing would be possible.

But before landing on Mars, I have to scan its surface for possible landing zones and biomes, and to do some test landings using lander probes. And that is exactly what I did today.

Here comes the first one:

FwBjmDY.jpg

8oC3xxv.jpg

Technically it is a landing, right?? :sticktongue:

I8nd0qX.jpg

Hmm at least I got the science data.

The second lander did not land much better...

fA3tBTX.jpg

This time I failed to extend the landing legs in time, so it tipped over again.:mad:

O6kE9MD.jpg

mggWzxf.jpg

I also missed the landing zone. I wanted my touchdown to be somewhere in this canyon, but at least I hit the same biome.

Cool, but why land in a Canyon? Why not just land on a flat plain? Would that not be a better landing site?

(1.3.0) After taking this past weekend off from the game, I began my week with a pair of fuel runs at Mun, shuttling fuel from the Piper Alpha refinery to the Munport space station using the Old Bessie 7 refueling lander. In the middle of the second run, the Gurney 7d craft sent to rescue engineer Dezor Kerman from HKO returned safely to Kerbin. I followed up that rescue job with a low altitude, low speed parts test of a Mk25 drogue parachute, which I did with a sounding balloon. That job in turn was followed up with a very fast ore mining job at Minmus that netted me √450k; the Deepwater Horizon refinery at Minmus continues to pay dividends. The next contract to come up was a junk-and-kerbal mission over Minmus, and to that end I launched a Bill Clinton 7b grabber probe to rendezvous with and rescue Stapond Kerman. I botched the transfer burn rather badly, unfortunately, and in the end I didn't have sufficient delta-v to get into Minmus's orbit, let alone affect a rescue mission. The probe was sent onto an impact trajectory with Minmus and a replacement probe was launched yesterday. Meanwhile, Necessary Evil arrived at Minmus and docked at the Minmusport space station. Pilots Catfrey and Agamore Kerman went down to the surface for flag-planting training using the station's Spamcan 7a passenger lander, then returned to Minmusport safely. After transferring back and refueling, Necessary Evil departed the station and burned for Kerbin. I rounded out my day on Wednesday with a final parts test and more ore mining, this time at Mun.

In addition to the aforementioned replacement probe launch, yesterday was fairly eventful. An Auk I 2-passenger spaceplane was sent up to rescue engineer Halzer Kerman from LKO, affecting a successful rescue and return to KSC 09. The replacement probe was launched and arrived at Minmus five days later, this time affecting a successful equatorial orbit. Rendezvous planning has already commenced. Necessary Evil also returned safely from Minmus and docked at the Kerbinport space station:

tIcX0Q7.png
Necessary Evil, coming into a docking pier at Kerbinport that apparently is - by necessity - evil.

Necessary Evil's return puts all four craft in my ferry fleet "in the barn"; going to have to get some more tourist/training flights going, looks like (for the sake of my frame rate in and around the station if for nothing else). The craft was refueled and the two tourists aboard were transferred to a waiting Auk VII 16-passenger spaceplane docked at the station, which then departed the station and returned safely to KSC 09, clearing five contracts all at once for a cool √2M. I have made the decision to go ahead and land most of the personnel currently stationed at Kerbinport, and will be making one or two spaceplane flights in the near future for that purpose. Going to have to figure out just how many kerbals need to come down first...

One last thing of note from yesterday was that the Kerbincomm India communications relay satellite was manevuered into its final orbital position 60,000 km over Kerbin. I just have to get the Kerbincomm Hotel satellite into position now and the comms relay network over Kerbin will finally be up and fully operational - the positioning maneuver for that craft is scheduled to take place in nineteen days.

42 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Cool, but why land in a Canyon? Why not just land on a flat plain? Would that not be a better landing site?

I wanted to hit this specific canyon biome and I  did not know that my position also counts as canyon biome. 

The first probe already landed on a flat plain, that was another reason why I decided to go for this canyon. 

I've been working on Project Deepstar; a deep-space exploration and research vessel.

5BB6A668B3BB851296E89AF431ED750B78218FC7

She can carry 14 Kerbals, a science lander, a refuel lander. Her propulsion comes from a detachable rocket package; not yet built. (The visible one is the assembly vehicle; fully recoverable.)  Once complete she will have full orbital scanning abilities and science processing in-flight.

Stage One is almost complete; orbital construction. Once ready the rocket will be attached, Kerbals loaded, snacks stored and Deepstar will boost for Minmus which is so far untouched, science-wise. Once in orbit of the Mint Frosted Moon, Stage Two begins:

Stage 2: Deepstar will boost into a very deep Kerbin orbit and process all available science, to be transported back to KSC by recoverable science cans. Once all science has been processed (this will take a while) and the vessel fully refueled, Deepstar will depart for Stage Three:

Stage Three: Duna. Deepstar will proceed to the red planet, conducting science and exploration. If all goes well, she should be able to refuel and return home.

Cheers!

Edited by NorthernDevo
fixed the pic

17 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Nuclear engines?!  For the Mun?!  Are you playing at non-stock scale?

I'm about to send three Kerbals to the Mun on a 1.25m booster (one core and four strap-ons that size) with three Swivels and two Reliants, to land and return in a Mk. 1 spaceplane orbiter  (with landing legs on the wingtips) powered by another Swivel (a Terrier would do the job, but it lacks an alternator and I haven't unlocked solar panels or fuel cells yet, so I need to charge batteries during burns).

That sounds like a very Kerbal solution... I like it :D

I have started having problems with my 2.5 meter landers recently and I may need some help, I'm out of ideas.

To soften the touchdown for the fragile lander can, I don't seperate tank and engine of the last stage (I reuse the landing legs). That design actually works really well, but around halfway through reentry, the lander recently starts flipping around and continues descending facing... prograde. It does do a good job at making reentry more suspensful, but I don't want to risk losing the craft. What can I do to fix it?