What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Went to space.

oc8XXoE.png

(short pause for effect.)

With the fins set up right, and letting go at the right time to reduce drag, I can get to about 83 Km. Full story here.

Also, found a really cool fairing generator plug in, and took it as an opportunity to revise my launch vehicles. Had some fun launching odd payloads and getting fuel tanks to drain evenly again.

VC1bqK2.png

And lastly, landed on Vall for the first time. And it is beautiful, so spoiler ahead.

1iQBg19.png

Yeah. Ran out of fuel on the vertical decent. Bounced, lost the probe cores and ended up like this. But a few things survived, including a mechjeb core, cameras, and one functional solar panel. So not a complete loss.

Edited by Tw1

Today the red planet has become truly red!

CpZhP4E.jpg?1

yM7djUp.jpg?1

Well, actually I'm rather pround, because this is the first time I got to Duna and returned to Kerbin with a single launch. Everything made with a single rocket.

The first Tankers arrived at my Spacestation.

O4EmU1j.jpg

- Two Orange Tanks, 1 of them with docking ports and the other one as the left over from the last Stage. But it had a little fuel in it,... which killed my RCS-Fuel at docking. ;)

- One Big RCS-Fuel Stage, because there whole station was running out of Rcs. But there is Space for 3 more RCS Tanks :D

Today the X-13 kissed the edge of space - Apokee of 65+km @ ~1800m/s. It failed to achieve orbit, but broke both the speed and altitude records of the X-9, so we're calling it a limited success. ~450m/s more in the stratosphere and I think I'll have a working SSTO. (And I think I can get that by adjusting my ascent profile.)

20130709_ksp1581_x13_edgeofspace.jpg

Kerbals lost to kerb'd spaceflight: 0.

Kerbals lost to spaceplane testing: 34.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Hahaha, OMG what is this thing? :)

It's a robot character from one of the stories in Heavy Metal, an old animated film made by MTV and released in 1981.

The movie was a series of vignettes that told the story of an evil entity that had been influencing civilizations for eons, and those who had arisen to fight it.

The robot was voiced by John Candy, and is in the story called "So Beautiful and So Dangerous", about a couple of alien stoners who accidentally abduct a busty woman who is wearing the Loc-Nar (the evil entity) as a gem in a pendant.

It's an interesting and memorable film, featuring some gorgeous animation and featuring a soundtrack composed of (of course) heavy metal tracks by well-known bands. However, just because it's animated, do NOT assume it's safe for kids. There's nudity, blood, violence, sex, and blatant drug use featured in the film. It's one of very few animated films to be rated "R", and would probably have gotten "NC-17" if it had been released any later.

Anyway, when I saw your rover, that robot was the first thing that came to mind. :D

EDIT @Aragosnat:

Note that it is not anime, in that it has no relation to Japanese animation. In fact the animation style is more similar to the old He-Man cartoons, but of course with a much higher level of quality and many more frames.

That said, it's very similar to some anime out there, in that it features adult themes and breaks the "cartoon" stereotype for animation in the US.

Edited by Deadweasel

@Deadweasel: Depends on how the person uses words. For myself anime is very general and hits all areas not just Japan. But, do agree it is high quality for the time period. Ever watch "Fire and Ice"? And yeah Malfuntions rover does look like that bot.

Launched a three-kerbal capsule into low MKO, since I didn't feel like I'd been giving the Mk1-2 enough love. I call the ship "Lifter I" and it's actually pretty good. Has nice torque during early stages, and enough fuel to achieve a 350km circular orbit and get the crew back safe.

screenshot981.png

screenshot989.png

screenshot992.png

screenshot997.png

screenshot1011.png

mj31on.png

screenshot1022.png

screenshot1029.png

Edited by SuperWeegee4000
So Postimage decided it didn't like one photo even though it had the same specs the others had.

I've launched my Duna lander and first of the probe Sat/Landers that will be placed in the Duna's orbit. While kerballed lander went up like a charm, i hit a bit of a snag with probe (of all things). My standard launcher did not have enough fuel to place it, and its transfer stage in stable orbit. Periapsis was still deep in atmosphere when i decoupled last part of spent launcher. For a moment it looked like three nukes of transfer stage will be not enough to achieve orbit, but luckily i managed to push PE to about 60 km's, so my ship managed to climb into space and circularise. Whew. This misadventure cost me over half of the transfer stage's fuel, so i have to rethink this part of the mission since i have to launch one more probe. Looks like i need more powerful launcher (or maybe build smaller probes LOL).

Made another attempt at designing an Eve lander. Only came up 3,000 short on the delta-V, so I'm getting there.

Launched one of Temstar's Supernova lifters into orbit with no payload other than a senior docking port and a large RCS tank for payload. Confirmed I could get it into orbit intact but refueling the thing is going to be a royal pain.

Attempted once again to dock my expanded pier module to my space station. Closed to five meters when my computer spontaneously shut itself off. Arrrrrrgh. At least I'd made a recent quicksave of the attempt.

Still got Bob and Bill waiting in a lander can for the next Duna transfer window. I bet they're about ready to kill one another...

Modified my last launch vehicle, adding a booster pair and reconfiguring. Was aiming for 160 tones to orbit. Sadly, somehow I introduced an instability when it was almost working, and had to abandon it.

DoKGCnD.jpg

AlSo, moved my Jool system probe on to a very important destination, the moon Laythe! It will probably be there for about a year becuase I'm going to fly to Eeloo to get lots of data for my kerbals.

v0E3KuK.png

Also, decided to write a short story about the change over to the new space centre design in the fanworks. Which, naturally, will need to be completed when the next version is out.

Edited by Tw1

I finally got my 3 full Orange tanks to a LKO without using a drop of the cargo fuel , and the 2 nukes have nearly all there own fuel for orbital changes.

This craft didnt fall apart if I went 100% thrust, or forget to toggle gimbals , it didnt random launch stacks off when the stutter from the physics calculations kicked it a bit, didnt wobble like a landed fish, didnt spin like a deranged catherine wheel, didnt fly like a space worm in orbit.

I nicknamed the craft Tall Tom , it is virtually max height allowed... it starts off at about 1000 tonnes and delivers 135 tonnes with plenty of fuel in the 2nd stage (I stage early to keep the stage in a de-orbit trajectory and complete the orbit with the payload nukes) and clocks in at 374 parts including payload fully decked out.

It sits relatively still on the launch pad (engines dont do the samba while waiting for the launch) and isnt overly complicated to launch... has a slight spin when you disable ASAS to do your gravity turn but nothing too much to deal with.

One drawback... attaching other types of payload other than the current one may be a issue... worst case scenario is I have a dedicated heavy fuel delivery system.

Still seems crazy to need over 18 orange tanks of fuel to deliver 3 orange tanks of fuel.

Not much for most of you guys but I have been fighting to try get some lifter to lift that particular load as a personal challenge since I started KSP, did other things but always came back to try yet another design idea... finally a design that can be used, maybe improved but at the moment I am happy :P

Added 2 RSC tanks with the smallish rocket fuel tanks that have docking ports on each end to this:

125AFAC3CDEA7A9588C1C08D2B80EE7FDE51EF9E

Goal is to get to Jool again so I can set it up as a refueling station as well as hopefully getting that probe to land on one of Laythe's island and not in the water like my last probe sent there. Waiting upon my Eeloo encounter with another craft that has been wating a long time. Just only 37+ years. :D