What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Doing some more practice runs to Mun before 0.21 arrives, 2nd time I've sent this lander but for some reason it had a landing malfunction. Ironically it was what I thought was my best descent, nicely controlled, relatively smooth and quite sedate. I touched down around 8m/s I think and that's where it went a bit wrong...

2013-07-15_00002.jpg

After that I undocked the buggy payload I was testing, figured it should tip over safely enough but I forgot to lock the brakes before I released the clamp and it tipped onto the wheels and proceeded to roll away down the hill. Insert 2x speed video chase scene with Benny Hill music as I tried to chase the stupid thing across the crater with a series of inept jetpack hops :).

I finally caught up with it and got it slowed down enough to board it before it rolled away again and took the RCS Mun Kart for a proper test run..

2013-07-15_00003.jpg

It was all going so well until I exceeded about 20m/s and broke the puny wheels :D.

Doing some more practice runs to Mun before 0.21 arrives, 2nd time I've sent this lander but for some reason it had a landing malfunction. Ironically it was what I thought was my best descent, nicely controlled, relatively smooth and quite sedate. I touched down around 8m/s I think and that's where it went a bit wrong...

After that I undocked the buggy payload I was testing, figured it should tip over safely enough but I forgot to lock the brakes before I released the clamp and it tipped onto the wheels and proceeded to roll away down the hill. Insert 2x speed video chase scene with Benny Hill music as I tried to chase the stupid thing across the crater with a series of inept jetpack hops :).

I finally caught up with it and got it slowed down enough to board it before it rolled away again and took the RCS Mun Kart for a proper test run..

It was all going so well until I exceeded about 20m/s and broke the puny wheels :D.

dont use those lander legs use the one which extends; those are stronger and less likely to topple;

another suggestion; try to touch down at less than 3m/s... it's hard on Kerbin (or other massive planets) but it's manageable in smaller moons/planets

to do this... try to use a decent engine with a less thrust; so that the force generated will not go crazily high with a slight tab on the shift key or the ctrl key.

I tried and failed to achieve orbit. Then I accepted that I rushed through the basics of the game and decided that I need to go back to the very beginning and take it slower.

I also started the drawing board, so to speak, of my first big planned project which will not see the light of day until I understand orbiting and docking.

Reflew the probe to Eve. Got better results in achieving capture and orbit. The fourth stage is nearly full of fuel as a result of a more efficient launch to escape velocity , still straight up at evening due to spin issues, and insertion to Eve orbit. Have a more stable probe ship in orbit with a parachute to go for an Eve landing.

Docked a full heavy Barn Burner to Typhon 1. Damn thing got hung up on the Thunderbolt Superheavy's forward RCS blocks, of all things; had to turn the burner around to dock with the aft port instead. Numbers said the mission had 6500 m/s delta-V, not enough to get me to where I wanted to go (Moho; I figure the Superheavy Thunderbolt tug has the thrust necessary to make the orbital insertion easy). Attempted to dock another heavy barn burner. Couldn't make it; first Burner's outboard RCS tanks were bumping into the main fuel tanks of the others and the ports were only about a meter apart from one another. Might as well have been orbiting the Mun for all the more good that did me...

Going to be redesigning the Superheavy Barn Burner, as might be obvious.

Also continued farting around with the Hellrider 7, a SAS-chassis rover design. Was comfortable with the way the rollover tests had been going do far (thing was stable making turns at 20 m/s), so I loaded it with a crew for the first time. Put Seeley, Elny and Wenshel on it for a joyride around the KSC. Didn't tip over. Still wanted to do a rollover test with butts in the seats, so I put it in reverse and hit the brakes with it going 20 m/s. Seeley and Wenshel were ejected, with the rover landing on top of Wenshel (both survived); Elny stayed in his seat.

So with that design, I either need to add some kind of safety restraint system (the lander leg idea didn't work; they were as likely as anything else to break off in a rollover) or just not throw the brakes on and put it in reverse at 20 m/s again...

Which will not work as a straight iframe, as the forums don't allow for direct pasting of HTML code. -_-

EDIT: nevermind, you've fixed it.

Sweet looking base! All these bases are making me want to work on one of my own again instead of just landing ships all over the place looking for easter eggs! :D

Edited by Deadweasel

Today, the 'Joolius Xena' deployed its third sub probe, after a year orbiting Laythe. Here they are hanging out together, before it is time..

lLLnvta.png

For my first Laythe landing! Spent quite a while watching Laythe, to choose a good spot for the landing.

I no longer have to flick over other people's images of Laythe, as I've experienced it for myself now! More or less.

kIbHxSQ.png

I plan to circumnavigate the lake, then go check out the coast, next time I visit this rover-probe.

Today, the 'Joolius Xena' deployed its third sub probe, after a year orbiting Laythe. Here they are hanging out together, before it is time..

For my first Laythe landing! Spent quite a while watching Laythe, to choose a good spot for the landing.

I no longer have to flick over other people's images of Laythe, as I've experienced it for myself now! More or less.

I plan to circumnavigate the lake, then go check out the coast, next time I visit this rover-probe.

Congratulations on your Laythe landing. :) But what are those red and blue tanks on your rover; what mod are they from?

Congratulations on your Laythe landing. :) But what are those red and blue tanks on your rover; what mod are they from?

They are part of the rover body, it's the old cart mod. I imagine they are supposed to be containing coolant or something.

Laythe is awesome :D It's good to finally go there.

Edited by Tw1

Having a trustworthy probe delivery system I also gave Laythe a shot and did it after some ... difficulties - speed when entering the Jool system is quite ... FAST!

Intended to aerobreak of course - aiming for Laythe got me into a wide orbit around Jool which I could not lower for lack of dv - orbited Jool for a few weeks and got another Laythe encounter, a few dv got me into the atmosphere a few quickloaded times: first got me into the water, second a visit to Tylo who shot me out of the solar system, third was meant to correct my Jool orbit but ended with a perfect landing spot (sometimes being unable to correctly choose a Pe height for aerobreaking can pay of).

album

3969hNb.jpg

Edited by KerbMav

Landed Bill & Jebediah on Dres, along with a rover (+small science package) and a mini probe lander that was planned to descend into a narrow & deep canyon. After the probe lander safely made it to the bottom of the canyon Bill & Jeb drove a bit over 30km to reach a huge crater to deploy the science package there. Then Jebediah got the brilliant idea to try and reach orbit with his eva pack, turns out it was easier than anticipated. Bill left the rover at the crater and flew back with his eva pack, then went to pick up Jeb with the lander. Then the journey home wrapped things up.

Here's a few pictures.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Took the updated Vanguard deep Space Probe to Duna flyby and orbit around Ike. Ike is very dark even in full sun. Still have 1 and 1/2 tank full of thruster fuel and 1/4 fuel left in the third stage. The fourth stage is still available along with the probe stage with its full thruster tank and a set of parachutes. (Used the option to prevent its fuel from being used for maneuvering the long rocket into position.) Next mission, send another Vanguard mission to Jool and do a flyby tour of its moons

Today I decided to play the Steam version of KSP that I bought when it was previously on sale but never played. Because, Cards. And I wanted to upload a few "look ma, I'm floating 'round my tin can 130km over Kerbin!" screenshots to Steam.

Now that I'm Level 5 in KSP (after some card trading and buying) I'm going back to the regular version.

After putting a crossbow on Dres, I wondered, "How will I top this?"

Now I know.

I built a fully functional robotic arm using KAS to act as tendons. It works wonderfully and has great range of motion.

kQlgJYY.jpg

Using this kind of technique, I plan to build a bipedal robot.

Edited by lucidLemon

I failed, barely to get my new fueling station into LKO. The Equivalent of 9 Orange tanks of LOX, strapped together with docking ports, a few solar panels, and a 3-man crew pod.

So... I either have to find a place to strap on a couple hundred more m/s of Delta-V (if that much... I'm VERY close), or I have to lighten it a bit. :(

I've also found the point at which building+launch starts to generate a reasonable amount of lag. Not unplayable, but mildly unpleasant. (right around 400)