What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Redesigned my Barn Burner Superheavys so that there'd be enough room for the zenith docking port. Sent one up to Typhon 1 and successfully docked it. Since the old Barn Burner was still nearby, I went ahead and docked it too (nadir port to nadir port).

xdnHadx.png

Numbers say she weighs 412.34 tonnes (TWR of 0.49 in that screenshot - 3.64 m/s^2 acceleration) and currently has 9,159.913 m/s of delta-V available. Of course, there's no lander attached yet so she's not going anywhere. Not yet anyways. The hope is to be able to use her for a Moho mission, though I may need to add moar fuel before that enters into the realm of possibilities.

Broke down & signed up for a reddit account lol.

Wasted hours of real time trying to get a 20 minute burn figured out so I could get my tanker on the way to Laythe. Node kept wanting me to burn THROUGH Kerbin till my periapse dipped into the atmosphere. Finally had to try it from a much higher orbit. Is there any better way to manage high deltaV/low-TWR burns like that?

Rnk2yHC.jpg

Anyways, finally got the resupply mission to Laythe and managed to rendezvous & dock with the unmanned (at the moment) Righteous Indignation III. Filled the main tank up, topped off RCS on the simple lander. Now I need to ditch all the empty bits and drop the hab down to the crew waiting on the surface who have been living out of a wrecked lander for about a year now. Then they get to wait another three years on a tropical Laythean beach till the window to Eeloo comes round.

-snip- Is there any better way to manage high deltaV/low-TWR burns like that?

Periapsis kicks. Break your burn up into several done in the same spot over several orbits.

More efficient too.

Got the fueling station into orbit... and a bit over - recircularizing now. It's gonna cost me a small percentage of the fuel onboard, and take some time... there's only 1 NERVA for maneuvering. :(

jwYvKsz.jpg

To do so, I had to make a 622-part behemoth (added a full new booster stage below the prior launcher), which worked, but was desperately inefficient, I only delivered about 11% of my payload into orbit. :(

qlavsfH.jpg

I do know how to make it more efficient, but I didn't REALLY want to strip the entire thing down and do it again - I will for .21

i just started my biggest real time mission. putting a telescope in orbit around the sun so i can get a view of all the planets before send probs. 3 days until i get into suns orbit luckily i have a detacated 2nd computer and telemachus for this.

Got this thing into orbit (finally) - have no clue, what I will do with it, was more like a test, most unwieldy payload up until now for me.

One orange tank I undocked and RCSed away from. Fed all fuel (useless jetfuel anyway, look at the "wings") into the second one, started spinning real fast, then decoupled and whhhhheeed away from it.

fdbcUdD.jpg

Today, I docked for the first time...and then I did three more times! I only need to attach one more module, and my first space station will be complete.

Congrats Kimberly!!!

I sent a rover to Duna:

screenshot440.png

Then I promptly flipped it:

screenshot444.png

I couldn't flip it on Kerbin (I tried) but here it flipped just meters away from what was a flawless landing!

Well, after continuing my program of replicating modern military aircraft (started a B1-B Lancer and an XB-70 Valkyrie seen earlier in the thread), I got bored and pulled my F-15 MTD/ACTIVE out of the hanger for some aerobatics (I looked at the clock after the most recent KSP crash, and I'd been at it for two hours...).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

EDIT: I really need some capture software...:wink:

Edited by espm400

muncraftshot.jpg

Started building my modular munbase. Landed the "Fuel" for my base less then one KM away.

From left to right are my other craft. The Miner Hopper (also doubles as a tanker, and return craft), the Mining fuel truck, and my munbase.

That's what I was thinking, but doesn't it play hell with timing your ejection?

It takes a little practise. I'll describe my technique.

I use protractor and Kerbal alarm clock, which makes timing a little easier.

I launch the whole thing, and complete any docking several days before the window. This gives a good margin for error. Then, I do a burn at the ideal point, stating about 5 degrees before, and ending about 5 degrees after, give or take.

Before long, that point becomes the periapsis.

The trick is to use the time until periapsis to time when you do the final burn. Watch that, and the time to the ideal alignment carefully. Normally, the perfect transfer time and the time you arrive at the burn point are of by a bit, but it's still close enough to be accurate.

I didn't do any KSP today.

But a while back, I mentioned that IRL, I did a "grand tour" of the world's largest scale model of the solar system. So here is a pic of that.

Cim2EJl.jpg

The Siding Springs observatory is 38 million times smaller than the sun, and set the scale for the rest of the model, which is centred on it.

Some of the planets are a little burnt, from the last bushfire.

Edited by Tw1

My Eve probe lander finally it's on the way. I had a lot of problems with this particular craft (dunno why, it's very similiar to my other probe landers - just carries couple of parachutes more) - from failing launchers to wonky Mun slingshot maneuver. Gravity assists are very capricious -that one was supposed to place my probe straight in Kerbol orbit. Instead it catapulted my ship into very huge Kerbin orbit, so i had to do another burn (very small ca. 86 m/s) and finally ended in solar orbit and could set Eve encounter.

Managed to do an Eve accent and ending up with in orbit with 1800m/s dV to spare.

Test of the sample return mod.

This is the lander

z14PF7J.png

it work as an airship in the atmosphere, however the propel and stuff makes moved center of mass. Did not notice during transfer with the heavy transfer stage who moved the trust far back, however the braking burn for landing got messed up.

I could not collect rock just water and air, this reduced the cargo weight and saved fuel.

Notice the impressive braking speed, mechjeb did not like this lander. The top part is some spare fuel and rcs for use during landing.

Edited by magnemoe

I am playing this game since .13 or .14, can't really remember, and today, for the first time ever since it is possible, I actually managed to DOCK!

It took me 1.5 hours, made me scream at the screen on at least 5 occasions, I feel like I aged at least 10 years, but I did it, I learned a lot about future attemps aka propper placing of RCS (the right ones aswell, I ll never use the kitty ones I used on these crafts again), doing it in higher orbits, waiting for a good opportunity to start the second ship so I don't need to spend 30 minutes in fastforward to catch up etc etc.

... and lastly, I admit, I rarely felt as good in a videogame about a certain accomplishment ever as I feel just now.

cfv8mz9oreq3ntmjv.jpg