What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

After having Mapped Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Dres, and then Kerbin AGAIN...

88BFBF82E77A1BB2F7CD654BA45C48D385538BCF

567 Days, 20 hours, 50 minutes, 5 seconds. Unfortunately the other flight log stats seem to only be for this session, or something, because the Distance stats are barely 3 times the altitude difference between Kerbin and Dres, and the Maximum Altitude is definitely 'this session only'. Which is irritating.

I did my second docking of two ships in orbit and my first *successful* transfer of a Kerbal from one ship to another. Then I built a rocket that can lift two full Rockomax 64 tanks to 70KM orbit while leaving enough fuel for the final engine to de-orbit it. Takes a lot of fuel to get that much fuel to orbit. :P

That was just for testing. Now I need to put a port or two on, launch it and leave it up there to top off tanks for trips to Mun and other places. I've been to the Mun twice, managed to hit it... really hard once. Came quite close the second time. Probably an issue with lack of fuel once I got there.

I want to get AARP's stock lander to Mun orbit with a full tank then land and see if it can take off and drop back to Kerbin and land on what it has left. I have the lander on top of a rocket that can get it to 100KM with a Rockomax 64 hanging on with some fuel left, a bit more fuel at 70K - thus the long experiment of many trials and errors to get two full tanks to orbit.

Didn't have a lot of time to play yesterday owing to family coming into town. Roved 10 kilometers on Duna; that was it.

I am having some issues with how the game/KER deals with longitude; it might be time to start a how-to thread about that particular topic. I swear I was at 169 west when I saved the game on Thursday; when I fired it up yesterday, the game insisted I was at 190 east...

Today I learned to add images from the steam cloud to my posts. Here's a station I finished a few days ago. Of course, if there's a free docking port are they ever really finished. It's got just over 100 parts and of that the core is 26 parts. All of the radial arms are removable for upgrading or in case it starts to lag too much.

C44136E5ED6433229AF4F040CF58CFB67A9BA196

97BF6D983419E558FF234CB5FF8A38AAE1519EDF

Put up some lights on the launch pad, I may a different type for the others as these are kind of dim...

screenshot29_zpse87b0caf.png

screenshot30_zps9ec5d040.png

Yes it is that heavy. My crane uses a full orange tank for ballast even still I had to put the crane on its nose to lift it at that angle.

screenshot31_zps7cc7b624.png

Almost up time to deploy the Light Tower KAS to help out a little, turned the truck to position it better

screenshot32_zps7dc1ce11.png

Like I said very dim but its better than pitch black

I decided to go and visit the flag at the first Munar Landing Site. Planted about 5 years ago, I had no idea who had first set foot on the Mun. Lucky for me I wrote it on the flag - Philsel Kerman. Turns out he is stationed on my permanent Mun base on the other side of the Mun.

05fa68fd04d4a8211a1412269dba902b.png

Spent most of the day building and testing Eve landers until I got something I was remotely satisfied with. The "Eve Chair" isn't exactly ideal; the Kerbal should be in a pod, after all, but it does the job pretty good. Somewhere around 2500m (I always forget to take notes...) to 100km x 100km. Still need to add ladders and re-test, but otherwise I am quite satisfied.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I played around with Procedural Fairings for the first time and I love them. I did have to experiment some with the options (struts v. no struts, radius, etc.). And the first rocket I tried them with shook itself to pieces when the fairing quads separated - that's when I looked into the separation force option and turned it down. But my Inner Rocket Scientist was mighty pleased to see the fairings separate at altitude, just like a real life rocket.

Also accomplished today - prepared two nuclear transfer stages for planetary missions. I put two of them into orbit yesterday, fully fueled with no payloads, ready to go whenever I want. Today I spent a lot of the afternoon and evening launching individiual payloads and docking them to each transfer stage. I find that shooting manual rendezvous and dockings is just about the best way to totally Zen out my brain.

Anyway, at the end of the day I have one transfer stage outfitted with three small rovers & crasher stages for use on Duna and Ike. That one has a transfer window that opens in about 160 days so I'm going to move it to high orbit tomorrow and leave it be; I'll have an alarm set in Kerbal Alarm Clock to remind me to send it Duna-wards in due time.

I have a second transfer stage outfitted with two of the same rovers/crasher stages and a 3 man capsule for an extended orbital survey of the Eve/Gilley system. I don't think the landers have the ∆v for Eve landings, so they'll go to Gilley. My crew of Alan, Dudvan and Dodos Kerman will spend a few weeks orbiting Eve and Ike surveying for kethane deposits and seeing the sights. Their transfer window opens in 18 days, so they'll spend some time screwing around in high Kerbin orbit eating each other's snacks and blaming Jeb for their career choices.

Oh, and just for giggles I did a "Heinlein landing" ("Landing a rocket ship on its engine bell, just like God and Robert Heinlein intended!") with a nuclear stage that has no landing legs. Unfortunately, I ran out of fuel about 330 meters above ground but thanks to the parachutes I thoughtfully installed, Jeb, Bill and Bob survived the resulting explosions and mayhem.

Started three missions to Eeloo: Yay!

Landed the five simultaneous missions I sent off to Minmus the other day, and hooked parts together. Yay!

Sent a replacement factory to Minmus after I'd forgotten winch connectors on the previous one, and recycled the old one. Yay!

Mined 38k units of ore. Yay!

Crashed the ore lander. Yay-waitaminute.

So so far today I've crashed 77k units of ore when the mine is only 60km from the factory. I even managed to put one ship down before it ran completely out of fuel, but it slid down into a valley & up the other side, and then gently but firmly disintegrated when it came back again. I suspect that rather than building a Minmus suborbital ship with enough dV to reach Eeloo and back twice when it's empty, I should probably be shipping less than 900t or so at a time...

Well, yesterday I finished testing the latest version of my "super-heavy-lifter". Since I already have a light-lifter and a medium-lifter, I can now hurl pretty much everything into space :)

So, I started by flying some big fuel cans up to orbit as a backup for my two fuel-space stations around Kerbin.

Today's mission will be to fly a couple of fuel cans to the mun (orbit and surface) "by hand" I already did it with a probe, the can's rocket is heavier and more challenging to fly though.

On the next weeks I'll go for a proper mun landing (rovers, kerbals and in time a station). Might also try to fly a probe to the sun today, just for the heck of it :)